Towing a large boat with the gen 3

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
C

clemsondds

Reaction score
For those that tow, the attachments are a comparison using the exact same trailer and UTV. There no occupants inside either truck. I took both trucks to a commercial scale facility and discovered the orange truck exceeded its cargo capacity by 200 pounds…..with me inside…175 pounds. The black truck was 310 under its cargo capacity. It occurred at the same scale about 90 minutes apart. IMHO, there is only a slight difference in the pics. Gain from it what you will
I think we all know that the F150 has a higher payload and towing capacity than the raptor. As everyone has said before, stay within the numbers of your truck and you will be fine. But thanks though

K9 EXPERT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That is helpful. You exceeded the cargo capacity in one instance, but I am curious, how were you on front and rear axle weight on the trucks? I bet those numbers were ok. I'm not advocating towing above any posted limits, but our local DOT guys seem to focus on axle capacity and tire capacity.
I guess it depends where you are located, but I know if a bad collision occurred, a primary focus will be on payload capacity, which is recorded in the black box. On a related topic, yesterday I discovered that I could not fully open my tailgate with the trailer attached. The trailer Jack blocked the tailgate. My neighbor brought over a 7” hitch extension, which allowed me to fully open the tailgate. After I switched the extension from the Lariat to the Raptor and attached the trailer, the Raptor sagged so much, it appeared like it was going to do a wheelie, whereas the Lariat’s rear end compressed about a 1/4 inch. The difference was astonishing. I discovered there are kits that can be purchased that allow the jack to be moved back a few inches, but I would also need to relocate the trailer tire spare. Consequently, I ordered a hitch extension on Amazon for $30. To answer your question on axle weight, I did not keep the document provided by the scale facility and did not think to look at axle weight, I was only concerned about cargo weight. I may be mistaken, but with everything I’ve read about this subject, I believe axle and cargo weight are directly related. I don’t understand why a max load tire capacity can be 14,000 pounds when a truck that weighs 5700 pounds has a load capacity of 1400 pounds.

Last edited:

K9 EXPERT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sorry to beat a dead horse, but I assume there are some like me that know little, or nothing about how to tow as safe as possible. Click the attached link to learn about ball drop and/or rise.

tractorman

Reaction score
I guess it depends where you are located, but I know if a bad collision occurred, a primary focus will be on payload capacity, which is recorded in the black box. On a related topic, yesterday I discovered that I could not fully open my tailgate with the trailer attached. The trailer Jack blocked the tailgate. My neighbor brought over a 7” hitch extension, which allowed me to fully open the tailgate. After I switched the extension from the Lariat to the Raptor and attached the trailer, the Raptor sagged so much, it appeared like it was going to do a wheelie, whereas the Lariat’s rear end compressed about a 1/4 inch. The difference was astonishing. I discovered there are kits that can be purchased that allow the jack to be moved back a few inches, but I would also need to relocate the trailer tire spare. Consequently, I ordered a hitch extension on Amazon for $30. To answer your question on axle weight, I did not keep the document provided by the scale facility and did not think to look at axle weight, I was only concerned about cargo weight. I may be mistaken, but with everything I’ve read about this subject, I believe axle and cargo weight are directly related. I don’t understand why a max load tire capacity can be 14,000 pounds when a truck that weighs 5700 pounds has a load capacity of 1400 pounds.
All good points. Regarding what is important in a bad collision with serious injuries or worse - everything becomes scrutinized.

I have a number of trailers, and I won't have one where my tailgate will hit the jack or any part of the trailer. Because I WILL forget and drop the tailgate.

K9 EXPERT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
All good points. Regarding what is important in a bad collision with serious injuries or worse - everything becomes scrutinized.

I have a number of trailers, and I won't have one where my tailgate will hit the jack or any part of the trailer. Because I WILL forget and drop the tailgate.
I ordered this today. I don’t know how it works, but if it does work, it will be much better than tow ball extension

An extension will dramatically reduce the payload capacity, which will be depicted in the black box. Big brother is watching!

Most people don’t realize that life can turn on an instant. Not only financial future, but some poor smack hurt or killed, because of lack of due diligence, is life changing. Honestly, I thought towing is hooking a trailer to a vehicle and go. Now I realize there is soooooo much more to CYA. Yeah, I traded a Raptor for a Lariat, although I still own a 2021 Raptor, I will never tow anything with it, which is the reason I bought a Lariat! Again, just trying to share with the community

Raptornador

Reaction score
I'm a week in on a used Raptor. The plan is to tow a 6k (loaded) travel trailer, with dirt bike, 2 suitcase generators, gas, two passengers. I was fully aware of the 8k limit and payload and was going to address it with suspension mods.

I just picked up my trailer from the service department and was surprised just how little it sagged. I have to wonder if the previous owner put in heavier duty leaf springs.

The ride quality is super nice so if it was done it sure didnt hurt it. Wondering if there are any markings on the leafs to figure this out. The trailer was mostly unloaded and per the specs dresses at 4700lb with a tongue weight of 475.

I went thru the thinking on the Raptor vs 2500 question. My thoughts were I wanted a vehicle that could tow my toys to my spot, unload and the wife and I jump in the vehicle and go exploring the zillion miles of forest roads we have here without getting beat up with lame ride quality. The 2500 could be made descent with suspension work but why not just do that with the Raptor. Plus I just took this Raptor out ripping the trail and it's just too much amazing fun.

Nex

RIP CoronaRaptor
Reaction score
I'm a week in on a used Raptor. The plan is to tow a 6k (loaded) travel trailer, with dirt bike, 2 suitcase generators, gas, two passengers. I was fully aware of the 8k limit and payload and was going to address it with suspension mods.

I just picked up my trailer from the service department and was surprised just how little it sagged. I have to wonder if the previous owner put in heavier duty leaf springs.

The ride quality is super nice so if it was done it sure didnt hurt it. Wondering if there are any markings on the leafs to figure this out. The trailer was mostly unloaded and per the specs dresses at 4700lb with a tongue weight of 475.

I went thru the thinking on the Raptor vs 2500 question. My thoughts were I wanted a vehicle that could tow my toys to my spot, unload and the wife and I jump in the vehicle and go exploring the zillion miles of forest roads we have here without getting beat up with lame ride quality. The 2500 could be made descent with suspension work but why not just do that with the Raptor. Plus I just took this Raptor out ripping the trail and it's just too much amazing fun.

Factory springs have a 2" block.

K9 EXPERT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I ordered this today. I don’t know how it works, but if it does work, it will be much better than tow ball extension

An extension will dramatically reduce the payload capacity, which will be depicted in the black box. Big brother is watching!

Most people don’t realize that life can turn on an instant. Not only financial future, but some poor smack hurt or killed, because of lack of due diligence, is life changing. Honestly, I thought towing is hooking a trailer to a vehicle and go. Now I realize there is soooooo much more to CYA. Yeah, I traded a Raptor for a Lariat, although I still own a 2021 Raptor, I will never tow anything with it, which is the reason I bought a Lariat! Again, just trying to share with the community
InstallEd the Jack E Up today. It works perfectly. I do not need a hitch ball mount extender and the tailgate drops down without issue! Wish I thought of it!

bren5279

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Im now in the same boat, considering an F250 because I don't really go off-road anymore, and towing soon to increase.

Aside from suspension, is it hard on the engine to be under constant boost towing due to trailer air resistance??????

Skubik

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't think it is, engine wise it can't be much different than my 3.5 ecoboost stealth edition expedition and that thing is a towing monster. Rated at 10k lbs
So far I tow whatever with it no issues but yes suspension has everything to do with it.

I have a Gen 1 supercharged raptor and was told i shouldn't tow with it because it puts strain on the engine blah blah blah
I decided to tow my race car to the track with it and it did great. That's with an SVC V3 after market rear bumper on it. I also have the upgraded Fox 3.0 suspension on it.

So engine wise you should be fine, suspension wise I'm not sure our raptors were meant for much towing duty but can handle some of those jobs.

All this is just my opinion btw I'm definitely not an authority on the subject,

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
khunter