New IFS system for Gen 3: Any thoughts on this +3" Long Travel Kit?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

NatG

Reaction score
i saw that Foutz Motorsports just released a new +3 Front Suspension Long Travel Kit recently - Judging by the photos and all the info / options this IFS system has that on their website, it looks pretty bad ass in my opinion.....but im curious to know what people think. Here's the web page i was looking at if anyone wants to check it out:

let me know your thoughts

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-06-01 182046.png
    Screenshot 2023-06-01 182046.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 85
  • Screenshot 2023-06-01 181435.png
    Screenshot 2023-06-01 181435.png
    946.3 KB · Views: 80
  • Screenshot 2023-06-01 180459.png
    Screenshot 2023-06-01 180459.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 75
  • Screenshot 2023-06-01 180155.png
    Screenshot 2023-06-01 180155.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 80
  • Screenshot 2023-06-01 175838.png
    Screenshot 2023-06-01 175838.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 81

taquitos

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It checks the right boxes but it doesn’t really excite me. The double shear UCA to spindle interface on the SVC and RPG kits is better structurally. That extent of modification makes it not a great daily around my area since FK balls get worn out in a year or less. So at that point I’d be more inclined to go with an option they I believe is better structurally.

McCarthy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That is far past where I would take a truck that is still driven on the street even 50% of the time. If it's a full time off road truck, then yes. At the speeds these sorts of modifications (assuming the correct shocks are also added as they would be) you should also strongly look into a proper roll cage and safety equipment (seats, harnesses, etc)

But if money didn't matter hell yes i'd put this on a street truck. LOL.

taquitos

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That is far past where I would take a truck that is still driven on the street even 50% of the time. If it's a full time off road truck, then yes. At the speeds these sorts of modifications (assuming the correct shocks are also added as they would be) you should also strongly look into a proper roll cage and safety equipment (seats, harnesses, etc)

But if money didn't matter hell yes i'd put this on a street truck. LOL.
Honestly even with the stock suspension on this truck I’ve gotten it into things where a roll cage wouldn’t be the worst idea. And that’s for the base 450hp. Throw dual shocks at it and 16”+ of travel and you’d certainly be getting wild if desired. Would need to do the rear too or I think it would feel imbalanced.

GregFoutz

Reaction score
Honestly even with the stock suspension on this truck I’ve gotten it into things where a roll cage wouldn’t be the worst idea. And that’s for the base 450hp. Throw dual shocks at it and 16”+ of travel and you’d certainly be getting wild if desired. Would need to do the rear too or I think it would feel imbalanced.
Yea for sure need to upgrade the rear suspension also to keep up with the front

taquitos

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yea for sure need to upgrade the rear suspension also to keep up with the front
I’m not trying to bash your product with what I said by the way. I do have appreciation for the ability to run the stock steering knuckle. I make suspension stuff in a different industry and know first hand that everyone will approach problems with slightly different goals and limits. I think my point of view with it is that it’s far enough from something I’d daily that I’d rather just take it all the way to an extreme. If I were to be thinking daily was still on the table then stock knuckle would be a deciding factor that would result in me going with this kit.

GregFoutz

Reaction score
I’m not trying to bash your product with what I said by the way. I do have appreciation for the ability to run the stock steering knuckle. I make suspension stuff in a different industry and know first hand that everyone will approach problems with slightly different goals and limits. I think my point of view with it is that it’s far enough from something I’d daily that I’d rather just take it all the way to an extreme. If I were to be thinking daily was still on the table then stock knuckle would be a deciding factor that would result in me going with this kit.
All good. I didnt think you were bashing. There are a lot of other key factors. If you look at our lower arm it also has proper steering stops built in, sway bar mounts and ability to add one of our upgraded sway bar kits, mount tab for a proper limit strap, and add 3" bypass shock and also a 2.5" front bump stop too. Lets you upgrade slowly and everything still works together as you do the upgrades. If you look closer at the lower arm you will also see we have spent a ton of time in the design to make sure they are the strongest lower arm around. the internal bulkhead supports are integrated into all of the main stress points. The steering stops are actually burred into the arm and pass through 3 layers of plate, not just welded to the outside where they would crush. it was designed to be flexible and durable. Add the bypass shock and bump stop kit and the performance is amazing. We just did a big baja trip a few months ago and I had our truck with this kit in the front but stock width version and our 5 link cantilever rear suspension kit and we beat the crap out of the trucks down there and it worked great and we had no issues. If you wanted we also have a high quality fabricated replacement spindle you can add in, or use stand alone. Any part of this kit can be used stand alone if you wanted.

Here is a link to the fabricated spindle kit

taquitos

Full Access Member
Reaction score
All good. I didnt think you were bashing. There are a lot of other key factors. If you look at our lower arm it also has proper steering stops built in, sway bar mounts and ability to add one of our upgraded sway bar kits, mount tab for a proper limit strap, and add 3" bypass shock and also a 2.5" front bump stop too. Lets you upgrade slowly and everything still works together as you do the upgrades. If you look closer at the lower arm you will also see we have spent a ton of time in the design to make sure they are the strongest lower arm around. the internal bulkhead supports are integrated into all of the main stress points. The steering stops are actually burred into the arm and pass through 3 layers of plate, not just welded to the outside where they would crush. it was designed to be flexible and durable. Add the bypass shock and bump stop kit and the performance is amazing. We just did a big baja trip a few months ago and I had our truck with this kit in the front but stock width version and our 5 link cantilever rear suspension kit and we beat the crap out of the trucks down there and it worked great and we had no issues. If you wanted we also have a high quality fabricated replacement spindle you can add in, or use stand alone. Any part of this kit can be used stand alone if you wanted.

Here is a link to the fabricated spindle kit
Thanks for dropping in some details. Sounds well thought out. I do have some suspicion that if the truck were pushed hard enough to need double sheer on they UCA ball it would need other structural reinforcement as well.

One interesting thing I’ve run across in my little world of suspension is that, while in theory people should like the ability to upgrade slowly, one of the best selling things is a deviation from stock that has to be done in one go. Different shock length and stroke. Even with the added cost of a shock people don’t flinch. This is a much lower price point we are taking about, but still.

hyrepower

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I appears this kit would require aftermarket glass, or were images of the stock fenders supposed to imply that it works with the stock fenders?

Assuming you’d be running 37s on 17x8.5 0mm offset wheels.