Third time cam phaser failure anyone else?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Kurtj29

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dropped mine off July 5th it’s still there. Right now I’m in my new truck honeymoon stage so I don’t care but I will start getting agitated soon again.
WTH - Have your service manager call the Bellevue Washington Autonation Ford service manager. I took my truck in on Sunday night. They evaluated it Monday morning - ordered parts, parts came in Tuesday, they did the work Wed and Thursday I got it back Thursday night. I would be losing it. Heck, if we can get parts way up here in Seattle - anyone should be able to get parts.

Old-Raptor-guy

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Service writer said its a waste of money (because the recall is passed), that the new cam phaser parts do not require the software update to the PCM. Any way I can educate her tactfully without just saying I read it on the internet? Truck is done, ready for pickup, would love to get this addressed and not need another visit if I can help it.
Tell the service writer you want pcm brought up to the latest calibration level. Regardless of her opinion.

Nex

RIP CoronaRaptor
Reaction score
Guys, OP traded in the Gen 2 with cam phaser issues on a Gen 3. So it's the dealer's problem now.

STHenry

Reaction score
OP still owns the Gen 2 with the issue. He just broke down and purchased a new Raptor as well. I believe the intent will be to sell the Gen 2 once the repair is complete.

Nex

RIP CoronaRaptor
Reaction score
Well they broke me. Been just about a month and it’s still in the shop. I went to another dealer and will be picking up a 2023 Azure Gen 3 37pp tomorrow. Maybe now I will get the updated parts and software update. Soon to be a 2017 avalanche with 10 months left on Ford ESP up for sale.
Still have 2 gen 2’s at the moment working on a gen1 and R to cover everything

He has 2 other Gen 2s. The one with the issue was traded in on a Gen 3.

OP
OP
N

Nerdles1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Didn’t trade it in. When it comes back(if it ever does) it is going up for sale.It still will have 10 more months on the Ford ESP left.My wife drives a 2020 with about 30k miles no probs yet. Normally we are a 2 raptor family just one heavy right now.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I just had my cam phasers done, I had a long conversation with the service manager since it was the end of the day and no one was there. He said that every single 3.5 engine will need the cam phasers replaced. I thought that was interesting.
The service manager is wrong, which is not a surprise. They are typically non-technical people who work their way up in management by manipulating numbers, minimizing spending on shop supplies and equipment, and under paying the technicians.

The number of vehicles that have experienced the issue is relatively small compared with the millions of Gen 2 3.5s sold over the 4 model year period. The root cause of the failure was not even the hardware itself, hence the recall to update the software.