Thinking bumpers?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dude1782

FRF Addict
Reaction score
This PDF says an intercooler for a GAS powered car with stock turbos is fine...

https://www.bar.ca.gov/pdf/APPENDIX G final 12-2009.pdf

Previously they said it doesn’t violate carb but it still needs to be approved. They said it was undergoing carb testing but they’ve been saying that for a while. ADD or Nick might be able to explain it.

If you were able to get one, you probably wouldn’t have any problems.

b7ed6f0bb5c23fc3e1ef8c6e0bfb94d6.jpg
f9e6f5374e08ce74ce42d86ff19c7ec7.jpg

Sent from my 2017 Raptor using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Nick@Apollo-Optics

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Yeah that's what I said. Makes no sense since intercoolers aren't subject to carb approval... they are not emission related devices. It's like saying they can't sell a bumper to CA.

Thank you for bringing this to our attention. We default to the manufacturer's information. If they tell us that the part is not CARB approved, we go with that. But your PDF brings up and excellent point. I'll post back here when I hear back from Full-Race on this, one way or another.

nikhsub1

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Thank you for bringing this to our attention. We default to the manufacturer's information. If they tell us that the part is not CARB approved, we go with that. But your PDF brings up and excellent point. I'll post back here when I hear back from Full-Race on this, one way or another.

But here is where what you are saying is moot; if a car (or truck) has stock turbos, an aftermarket IC is NOT SUBJECT TO CARB APPROVAL. It says so in black and white, from the CA CARB people...

Nick@Apollo-Optics

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
But here is where what you are saying is moot; if a car (or truck) has stock turbos, an aftermarket IC is NOT SUBJECT TO CARB APPROVAL. It says so in black and white, from the CA CARB people...

I spoke with Full-Race about this today. Apparently, there is some other documentation out there that includes both gas and diesels so it presents a grey area.

To update you, the Full-Race EcoBoost intercoolers for 2011-2016 F-150s are CARB approved and have an EO number. CARB changed the rules for the 2017+ trucks and require additional testing. This additional testing requires additional equipment that is prohibitively expensive. Fortunately, Full-Race will be able to test for the 2017+ trucks later this year and CARB should be forthcoming.

That said, the document you linked previously was for 2009-2012. I've searched, but have not found a more current document.

nikhsub1

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Every car i've ever had that was turbo never had to have the IC be CARB approved, certified etc. It is a non emissions part. Again, it's like saying you can't sell me LED's because they aren't CARB approved.

reaper1441

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Does this kit and the new BOV get rid of the waste gate linkage rattle?

considering those parts mentioned are no where near eachother or affect the operation of eachother in anyway its safe to say no. That's like asking if an exhaust will make your headlights brighter.

If you want to eliminate the wastegate rattle you would need new turbos. Which fullrace does sell.

nikhsub1

FRF Addict
Reaction score
And since clearly they are unfamiliar with CARB... they should apply for an exemption.

"Compliance Criteria Parts Application: this must be filled out for those parts for which explicit criteria are satisfied in writing , and which do not require vehicle or engine emission testing to obtain the VC 27156 exemption. Parts eligible for compliance criteria evaluation are exhaust headers for non-feedback controlled catalyst-equipped vehicles, intake manifolds for non-EGR vehicles only, ignition system components (excluding distributors), ignition distributors, and intercoolers.

https://www.arb.ca.gov/msprog/aftermkt/forms/forms.htm

Exemption PDF is here: https://www.arb.ca.gov/msprog/aftermkt/forms/formb.pdf

reaper1441

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@svc is rolling out their new CBR IC that blows away the full race and priced waaay better. No more raptor tax ridiculousness with the full race unit.

not sure if you edited that post or i missed the part about CBR being involved when i read it on my phone. CBR is no joke and changes my opinion on this quite a bit. I called and talked to jeff today. I know the guys at fullrace too and its a hard decision for me right now as I'm about to buy a bumper and looking hard at the SVC. They were smart to get CBR involved. I like CBR.