The Phoenix Open presented by Whelen Motorsports May 20-22, 2016

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
Mega excited for the event. Did it get mentioned if camping onsite is truly available this year or not? Having never been, @JRaptor11 told me that camping should be no problem and we plan on bringing the travel trailer to live in for the weekend. no hook ups is no problem for us.

Also - I know near stock is said to be fine for this event, but, I'm interested to hear the opinions of folks who have more experience than I.

---by the way, this is "Josh Bennett" already registered on the list

Hole Shot

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Also - I know near stock is said to be fine for this event, but, I'm interested to hear the opinions of folks who have more experience than I.

It's up to you how fast you drive your truck. Just don't take a ride in the smurf or another modified/linked truck befor you drive it yourself. You will not only want to over drive your truck but will want to spend $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$!!!!!!! because your truck rides like a P.O.S. in comparison.

Reaction score
It's up to you how fast you drive your truck. Just don't take a ride in the smurf or another modified/linked truck befor you drive it yourself. You will not only want to over drive your truck but will want to spend $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$!!!!!!! because your truck rides like a P.O.S. in comparison.

well, as applicable, I'm looking forward to doing all three :) :

-Drive Truck near stock
-Ride in beastly upgraded trucks
-Make mine the compromise between mega upgraded beasts and what I choose to afford

blclay24

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Also - I know near stock is said to be fine for this event, but, I'm interested to hear the opinions of folks who have more experience than I

Near stock is just fine.. You just have to limit yourself to your ability and also the trucks ability..
Rise of the Phoenix in '14 was my first time off-road with mid perch being the only mod done.. Here's a pic from me fowler himself..

3E62C979-B3A5-471C-AF85-0FB1BCD54ECF.jpg

Rookie

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Mega excited for the event. Did it get mentioned if camping onsite is truly available this year or not? Having never been, @JRaptor11 told me that camping should be no problem and we plan on bringing the travel trailer to live in for the weekend. no hook ups is no problem for us.

My truck was stock other than cosmetic and lights at the first Phoenix course. I had no trouble gettin it. Other than problems arising from an earlier issue, the only problem I had was stuffing the front driver's tire and ripping the liner out of place. Nothing that couldn't be fixed but then again I was mashing the pedal around the last corner to hit that final jump as hard as I could. Ask @rap67 who has some suspension mods. It's all about how you drive and what you're comfortable with. Don't drive beyond YOUR limits but I'm willing to bet you can't outdrive the stock truck.

Reaction score
My truck was stock other than cosmetic and lights at the first Phoenix course. I had no trouble gettin it. Other than problems arising from an earlier issue, the only problem I had was stuffing the front driver's tire and ripping the liner out of place. Nothing that couldn't be fixed but then again I was mashing the pedal around the last corner to hit that final jump as hard as I could. Ask @rap67 who has some suspension mods. It's all about how you drive and what you're comfortable with. Don't drive beyond YOUR limits but I'm willing to bet you can't outdrive the stock truck.

Awesome - and your probably right! I don't doubt that this truck is way more capable than I am at this point. This is going to be fun!