The 2017 Eco-Boost vs V8 Bench Racing / Whining thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ZaneMasterX

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I think we figured that out as soon as he brought up a Jeep on the Raptor forum. Probably really drives a Nissan Leaf.

Actually:

98 Grand Cherokee Limited 5.9 (ZJ)
Iron rock offroad 3.5" premium lift kit
Iron rock offroad adj. track bar
Iron rock offroad rear track bar drop bracket
16" Black rock steel wheels
31.6" Duratracs
Kolak 3" mandrel bent exhaust headers back
3" high flow cat
Flowmaster 50 series SUV muffler
4" chrome slant cut tip
K&N CAI
NV 249 to NV 242 transfer case swap
Coming soon is getting rid of the mechanical fan to electric rad. fan

2006 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 4.7L (wife's ride):
1.5" HD OME lift
K&N CAI
245/70R-17 Duratracs
Its all my wife will let me do to it. Selling when the new Raptor is coming out

2005 Subaru Legacy GT:
Lightweight main pulley
Gutted down pipe
Cobb accessport light stage 1+
AVO Cat back 3"
Nokian WR3G tires
Wife's daily when she has pharmacy rotations. Will be sold for her car of choice when she graduates, most likely an S4.

Selling: (bought cheap and not modded by me)
2003 Wrangler Sport (TJ) 4cy (gutless)
Iron rock offroad 4" short arm kit
33" BFG AT
SYE kit
Smittybuilt SRC front bumper (piece of crap)

Be happy to take any pictures to remove any doubt.

PropDr

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Actually:

98 Grand Cherokee Limited 5.9 (ZJ)
Iron rock offroad 3.5" premium lift kit
Iron rock offroad adj. track bar
Iron rock offroad rear track bar drop bracket
16" Black rock steel wheels
31.6" Duratracs
Kolak 3" mandrel bent exhaust headers back
3" high flow cat
Flowmaster 50 series SUV muffler
4" chrome slant cut tip
K&N CAI
NV 249 to NV 242 transfer case swap
Coming soon is getting rid of the mechanical fan to electric rad. fan

2006 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 4.7L (wife's ride):
1.5" HD OME lift
K&N CAI
245/70R-17 Duratracs
Its all my wife will let me do to it. Selling when the new Raptor is coming out

2005 Subaru Legacy GT:
Lightweight main pulley
Gutted down pipe
Cobb accessport light stage 1+
AVO Cat back 3"
Nokian WR3G tires
Wife's daily when she has pharmacy rotations. Will be sold for her car of choice when she graduates, most likely an S4.

Selling: (bought cheap and not modded by me)
2003 Wrangler Sport (TJ) 4cy (gutless)
Iron rock offroad 4" short arm kit
33" BFG AT
SYE kit
Smittybuilt SRC front bumper (piece of crap)

Be happy to take any pictures to remove any doubt.
Definitely compensating...

Mogo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here's a hypothetical just to beat this dead horse even further:

For the 2018 Mustang 350 and GT, let's say Ford decides to drop the 5.2 FPC and the 5.0 Coyote and instead offers the TT3.5L as the only engine option. Better horsepower, torque, and mileage they say. Badass exhaust note be damned.

Would y'all still be telling us just to accept it because the numbers on the page are better? No matter what the actual experience of the motor is like?

The Raptor and the Mustang are both enthusiast performance vehicles and the interaction and experience (including auditory) are part of what makes these vehicles so attractive. They matter. Ford does not market these $50,000+ vehicles to the average shmuck driving a Prius.

The gnashing of teeth (including my own) over this is a response to what appears to be a PR/marketing egghead's strategy to go all-in on EcoBoost, all other engine tech be damned.

GM and Dodge have figured out how to make their large displacement V8s make good power, good mileage, and good sound. Why hasn't Ford jumped on the cylinder deactivation/independent valve timing/direct injection train? Corporate **** measuring and a failure to admit that EcoBoost is not God's gift to man?

Of course, Ford could shut everybody up with an announcement of a turbo'd V8, preferably with a displacement of 5.0 or larger...

JackDiesel

Reaction score
I like these kinds off threads because you always learn something new as long as they don't get derailed by trolling. Really wish I didn't have to read about **********, comfort in sexuality, or overcompensating.

What I'm more interested in turbo versus supercharger. About all of us are willing to put way more into our trucks than is normal so I'm curious what is the max you're going to get out of the turboed 3.5 versus throwing on a positive displacement supercharger on the 6.2.

I have nothing against turbos (I'd be all over a TT5.0) but on a 6000 pound truck I'd prefer the immediate low end power a supercharger to get you going versus the delayed but higher power turbos. Sure turbos will have higher numbers but real world performance in a truck application would give the advantage to the supercharger.

ZaneMasterX

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I like these kinds off threads because you always learn something new as long as they don't get derailed by trolling. Really wish I didn't have to read about **********, comfort in sexuality, or overcompensating.

What I'm more interested in turbo versus supercharger. About all of us are willing to put way more into our trucks than is normal so I'm curious what is the max you're going to get out of the turboed 3.5 versus throwing on a positive displacement supercharger on the 6.2.

I have nothing against turbos (I'd be all over a TT5.0) but on a 6000 pound truck I'd prefer the immediate low end power a supercharger to get you going versus the delayed but higher power turbos. Sure turbos will have higher numbers but real world performance in a truck application would give the advantage to the supercharger.

Id like to see someone find a legit dyno chart on a super charged 6.2L in a Raptor because the current 3.5L EB in the 2015 Navigator has its max torque at a pretty low 2750rpms (460lb-ft.). The reason for this is smaller twin turbos that spool quicker. I do not think a supercharger is going to substantially increase down low torque to under 2750rpms.

factive

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know right? Just a perspective buyer being hassled by a bunch of unfriendly Raptor owners, its pretty sweet isnt it?

Correction: A perspective *******/know-it-all buyer being hassled....

And stop comparing your Jeep offroading, aka rock crawling, with how the majority of us drive our Raptors, high speed Baja style. The two are not comparable. So while you're experience with owning Jeeps is really cool and we're all impressed, it's not the same.

mike.s

Reaction score
This is like watching **** where people take turns peeing on eachother

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

garbanzo_zps6d91a30b.png

LITTLEELVISDAN

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Id like to see someone find a legit dyno chart on a super charged 6.2L in a Raptor because the current 3.5L EB in the 2015 Navigator has its max torque at a pretty low 2750rpms (460lb-ft.). The reason for this is smaller twin turbos that spool quicker. I do not think a supercharger is going to substantially increase down low torque to under 2750rpms.

Some questions before I jump on this statement. Do you know the difference between a roots type blower and a centrifugal and a turbo? Specifically how they spool up? Then answer your own question on TQ curves. Your answer will be very interesting. Please amaze us with YOUR answer.