High Altitude Issues 3.5 Eco Boost

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

B boyes

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Guys,
I have been relocated to Los Alamos NM for work. I left the Raptor at home due to apartment dwelling status currently. I brought my 2014 F150 Screw with the 3.5 Eco Boost. I did all the preventive maintenance before I came. New plugs, coil plug boots, oil change , new brakes, new shocks, tires, alignment. Everything I could think I would need to get me thru the next year. As soon as I hit higher altitude than Oklahoma my check engine light came on. This has happened every time I have brought this truck to NM since it was new. My dealer said it was just the attitude change mess with the air fuel ratio. (Not sure I'm drinking this Kool aid)......In the high mountains yesterday it is winding and uphill at a speed of 25 mph. Turbos seemed to load up and caused the truck to shutter. I had been driving around quite a bit this day. Is this a pre detonation issue. Do I need to run 91 octane or is there another issue I should be concerned with? Thanks for the advise

Attachments

• 20220602_120329.jpg
    20220602_120329.jpg
    186.4 KB · Views: 14

Treg06

Reaction score
Interesting issue.....I've been driving my 2020 Raptor from TX (alt - 186') up to Santa Fe, NM (6700') since Dec 2020 and have not had any of the problems you're experiencing. Given the current gas prices, especially once you cross into NM, I've been using the 87 Octane without any noticeable change in performance. Is it throwing any codes whenever your check engine light appears........dealer should be able to see this issue ? I've had great luck with Capitol Ford's Service Dept if your considering another dealer and your travels ever take you towards SF.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Check engine light is never normal. Note that 2014 is a Gen 1 3.5 EcoBoost, which is a different engine than a 2017+ 3.5 EcoBoost used in the Raptor. Do you know what DTC is setting?

OP
OP
B boyes

B boyes

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Interesting issue.....I've been driving my 2020 Raptor from TX (alt - 186') up to Santa Fe, NM (6700') since Dec 2020 and have not had any of the problems you're experiencing. Given the current gas prices, especially once you cross into NM, I've been using the 87 Octane without any noticeable change in performance. Is it throwing any codes whenever your check engine light appears........dealer should be able to see this issue ? I've had great luck with Capitol Ford's Service Dept if your considering another dealer and your travels ever take you towards SF.
Thanks for the lead on a good dealer. I was wondering where I could find a service department. My check engine light usually stays on till I get back into Texas. I never have had an issue when traveling into NM with my Raptor.

OP
OP
B boyes

B boyes

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Check engine light is never normal. Note that 2014 is a Gen 1 3.5 EcoBoost, which is a different engine than a 2017+ 3.5 EcoBoost used in the Raptor. Do you know what DTC is setting?
I haven't had a chance to run the code yet. I have located an Autzone in this area . So I will stop by there tomorrow and see if they can give me the alarm code.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I haven't had a chance to run the code yet. I have located an Autzone in this area . So I will stop by there tomorrow and see if they can give me the alarm code.
Do yourself a huge favor and invest in ForScan. The software is free and the hardware is only ~$50. It can pull DTCs from all modules and offers functionality similar to the dealer scan tool.

Reaction score
I have brought my 2019 to Taos NM every year from basically sea level and have never had this issue. Good to know there is a reputable service department in Santa Fe, may need a place to take her for warranty service some day.

OP
OP
B boyes

B boyes

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was able to get by the AutoZone today. This was the DTC they were able to provide me with:

PO151 - O2 Circuit Low Voltage Bank 2, Sensor 1

Secondary

P0299 - Turbo Under Boost

thatJeepguy

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Hopefully you weren't leaning out to much and for too long. How long were you driving it like this? Could be the sensor, wire or small exhaust leak.

OP
OP
B boyes

B boyes

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Came down off the mountain after I started having issues. After some inspection I have a small hole in resonator and in my muffler. Hole is about a 1/8 -1/4 inch in diameter. I'm guessing from condensation from Oklahoma weather? Both holes are at the front of the components facing the motor. Both right on a weld seem.