The 2017 Eco-Boost vs V8 Bench Racing / Whining thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gwpfan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Okay my time frame was way off on the turbos, TTurbo-charging was not preferred initially as the engines were perceived to be less reliable, however the method won a decisive victory by the mid-1970s as the 1973 oil crisis increased fuel costs reminded of early/mid 90's of logger's conversations about turbo's in their diesel pickups. Never paid much mind to what the big rig's were running. BTW I am less than half your age so I guess they didn't teach me that in my 'below' average education.

I guess you haven't seen the way the diesel tractors haul ass picking up hay around my place and down the roads, certainly would not call it a slow speed. Never seen hay picked up so fast...

You're right, it's a naysayer's thread, but hey I like to hear pro's and con's, but hey the TT 3.5L V6 has thousands of engines out there and some have had problems, so there a contribution to the naysayer's!

Aaron313

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think Dan here is second guessing why he sold his raptor for a jeep and came here to post a thread about how others need to get rid of theirs too so he can make himself feel better about his decision. Poor guy....

:snoopfacepalm:

Yeah I wondered why this Dan guy was so salty about 6.2's.. Ohh wait he had a 5.4 raptor and never experienced the good life. Calm down bud we're all entitled to our own opinion

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

factive

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'll bet there's a shitload of naysayers on the Ford GT forums too :baby:

And they're probably bitching about the "sound" and how the vehicle "needs a V8."

Did you guys always hate turbos? Anything with a turbo? You know Ferrari is going turbo too, right?

Nope I don't hate turbos. Not at all. I have no problem with them on the right platform. But in my opinion a full size premium american truck built for baja-style offroading is not that right platform. I don't think the GT is the right platform either. And it's not just turbos either, its the combo with a v6. If they come out with a turbo V8 I'd probably get one.

What I don't understand is why you care so much what others do/don't like. If you want the next gen raptor then by-all-******-means buy one. Or can you only be happy buying one if you know that everyone else loves them too?

:supergay:

Greybeard

Full Access Member
Reaction score
6.2>3.5. All day every day. There's a saying that keeps ringing true no matter what the new math or EPA says. There's no replacement for displacement

BBQPorkins

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So what exactly was this new Raptor built for again? Paddle shifters...in...a...truck? They have paddle shifters in Vette's and other sporty wannabees too. Was the focus of the ability to run Baja gone out the window and now we will just get Ford plated Ram's? Ill keep mine and buy Vette I guess since most old men do that kinda thing.

MagicMtnDan

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Naysayers keep saying Nay.

Meanwhile there's this to chew on...(there's still time to change your minds HA HA)...

In the latest issue Top Gear BBC (Cars of the Year, 2014 Edition), it is being reported that the 2017 F-150 Raptor has been producing closer to 600HP with the new 3.5L EcoBoost (EcoBeast?) V6.

Now, we don’t expect Ford to release a 600-HP factory Raptor, but we are certain that Ford has been testing the capabilities of this truck – because they know the typical Raptor owner is not going to leave the truck stock. We imagine this truck will debut with 450-475 HP by the time it hits showrooms.

However, this high-horsepower number is interesting in a few regards. First, Ford never announced official HP numbers at the Detroit Auto Show. Second, the new 2017 Ford GT is also powered by the same 3.5L EcoBoost V6 that will be stuffed under the Raptor’s hood. Although official numbers have not been released for the 2017 Ford GT, we are told that we can expect ‘north of 600 HP’ for the Ford supercar.

Now, obviously we don’t think that the new Ford GT and Raptor will have the exact same motor with the exact same HP/TQ numbers, but we wouldn’t be surprised if the Ford GT is actually closer to the 700 HP mark, and the Raptor may be the beneficiary of a de-tuned variant of that motor.

The most interesting point is that Ford knows that the Raptor enthusiasts are typical diehard V8 guys, and this new high-HP EcoBoost V6 may be Ford’s attempt to ‘win over’ the V8 crowd. Heck, even as upset as we are about the new Raptor not having a V8, a modified “600 HP” EcoBoost motor definitely sounds appealing to us.

Keep in mind that this new SVT F-150 Raptor will also be channeling all of that power through a 10-speed automatic transmission. And we can also expect high torque numbers considering that is a major selling and marketing point for the F-150 EcoBoost line.

Ford has certainly been pushing the EcoBoost family of engines on us lately. We are told this is part of a bigger effort to phase out the V8 motor altogether. As much as we will miss the V8, I am sure we can get used to a 600-HP Twin Turbo EcoBoost V6.

Welcome to the future.

600HP ECOBEAST

raptor_600hp.jpg

http://horsepowerkings.com/the-2017-f-150-raptor-could-be-a-600-hp-ecoboost-factory-bruiser/