The 2017 Eco-Boost vs V8 Bench Racing / Whining thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Truckzor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I support your right to live whatever lifestyle you choose. I am confused because you seem to be backing off your inference to liking the taste of nuts in your mouth.

Be proud of your choices, most everyone here will have your back.

You don't need to project your issues, bro. This is an accepting group. And I echo your sentiments. I bet you'll look great with nuts in your mouth in an avalanche grey truck.

hkguns

FRF Addict
Reaction score
1. If your worry is producing heat in the engine from the turbos, the same can be said for any forced induction or naturally aspirated application that does not have a properly designed cooling system, and it clearly is not specific to only turbos, only offroad.

2. As previously mentioned, these are water and oil cooled.

3. Has anyone heard of any Ecoboosts having to have their turbo seals replaced? This is a legitimate question, I haven't heard of this on the pickups yet.

And I'm no newb ;) I've had my Gen1 since before majority of people here probably in mid 2010.

People resist and fear change, similarly advancements in technology. It is human nature.

What isn't human nature and is more or less blind hubris, is to make stuff up because you heard it somewhere, or worse, because you have an axe to grind.

I don't see or read about many Taurus SHO's having all kinds of turbo problems. In fact, they've been surprisingly trouble free. I've driven several different MKS AWD Ecoboosts since 2009 and NONE have had issues period, let alone with the Turbo's.

But what do I know. I'm just a "newb."

Last edited:

SJRaptorG2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The Gen2 Raptor that’s competing in the Best in the Desert off-road racing series (BITD) has just completed its fourth race logging 1000s of miles of extreme desert competition. The only allowed mods for its class other than mandatory safety equipment is 4 race shocks and springs. The entire drivetrain is gen2 stock. Keep in mind that these four races have been held at our western deserts in the hottest months with temp over 100deg………No issues with overheating turbos.

The following are the results for the last race.

http://bitd.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2016/10/2016_BWDC_Race1_Official.pdf

The following is the last gen ecoboost torture test for the turbos, look at 1:45. I’m sure the next gen ecoboost is even better, and with the Raptor’s upgrade for the HO it should be very reliable for what the average owner is gonna do.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=szVIDrrhDms

Flea176

Reaction score
Or they're just smarter and less prejudiced than most of the people on here and realize it's a better engine for the job. More power, better torque curve, better mileage ... I'm stoked for it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm with you. If the performance is better, who cares if it's a V8.... all these lug head guys on here lol

WyoStorm

FRF Addict
Reaction score
It's a lost cause with you young guys lol.

Heck, I still prefer the old pushrod v8 and the sound you got out of those. Overhead cams are nice and I love the sound of my Raptor but I would have loved to have my dad's old engine from his 72 Ford. Sounded like a NASCAR truck at the time. I'll never get used to having a v6 in a sports car or a specialty truck (or any truck for that matter). Makes me want to get the new 2017 Superduty with the 6.2l just to have one. Pretty bad though when 378 cubic inches is considered big now and 213 cubic inches is acceptable in a Raptor. You could actually work on engines back then. Oh well, I guess that's progress to some...

It really doesn't matter anyways, I'm not crazy about the looks either. Maybe if it had more of a beast look like ours I could just debate the engine but throw the looks and the engine into the mix and it's just not going to work. Just give me a v8 in the new Bronco!

Last edited:

FordFanStan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's a lost cause with you young guys lol.

Heck, I still prefer the old pushrod v8 and the sound you got out of those. Overhead cams are nice and I love the sound of my Raptor but I would have loved to have my dad's old engine from his 72 Ford. Sounded like a NASCAR truck at the time. I'll never get used to having a v6 in a sports car or a specialty truck (or any truck for that matter). Makes me want to get the new 2017 Superduty with the 6.2l just to have one. Pretty bad though when 378 cubic inches is considered big now and 213 cubic inches is acceptable in a Raptor. You could actually work on engines back then. Oh well, I guess that's progress to some...

And what you "old timers" do not understand is just because you're not familiar with something doesn't mean it is bad or you should discredit it. Like the old saying don't knock it 'til you try it. Don't get me wrong, I love the sound of a high lift, wide lobe separation, high compression, cam in block v8 (my favorite engine is the FE line), but we must progress.

And guess what, you can still work on these engines too. Do they require different knowledge than what you have yes, do they require different/specialty tools yes, tighter and more accurate tolerances yes, but the theory is all the same behind it.