The 2017 Eco-Boost vs V8 Bench Racing / Whining thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RLTW

FRF Addict
Reaction score
And what you "old timers" do not understand is just because you're not familiar with something doesn't mean it is bad or you should discredit it. Like the old saying don't knock it 'til you try it. Don't get me wrong, I love the sound of a high lift, wide lobe separation, high compression, cam in block v8 (my favorite engine is the FE line), but we must progress.

And guess what, you can still work on these engines too. Do they require different knowledge than what you have yes, do they require different/specialty tools yes, tighter and more accurate tolerances yes, but the theory is all the same behind it.

I have tried it, I've owned numerous smaller displacement fi vehicles, I'd still rather have a big v8 in an American truck.

crash457

I'm Batman
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's a lost cause with you young guys lol.

Heck, I still prefer the old pushrod v8 and the sound you got out of those. Overhead cams are nice and I love the sound of my Raptor but I would have loved to have my dad's old engine from his 72 Ford. Sounded like a NASCAR truck at the time. I'll never get used to having a v6 in a sports car or a specialty truck (or any truck for that matter). Makes me want to get the new 2017 Superduty with the 6.2l just to have one. Pretty bad though when 378 cubic inches is considered big now and 213 cubic inches is acceptable in a Raptor. You could actually work on engines back then. Oh well, I guess that's progress to some...

I guess by that logic all trucks should have V8s, Cassette Players, Drum Brakes, and 15" wheels.

Technology is about improving efficiency and performance.

I still love a big V8, carburetors, and simple mechanical function. Just not for something I am going to drive every day.

My 1923 TBucket has a small block with a tunnel ram, 2-500cfm carbs, 4 wheel drum brakes and I like it that way. But then I don't want to drive it to work everyday.

Manufacturers have to innovate and grow. In business, you're either growing or dying. There is no third direction.

Attachments

• DSCN0926.jpg
    DSCN0926.jpg
    121.5 KB · Views: 38
Last edited:

SOAKINRED

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Young Guys

Heck, I still prefer the old pushrod v8 and the sound you got out of those. Overhead cams are nice and I love the sound of my Raptor but I would have loved to have my dad's old engine from his 72 Ford. Sounded like a NASCAR truck at the time. I'll never get used to having a v6 in a sports car or a specialty truck (or any truck for that matter). Makes me want to get the new 2017 Superduty with the 6.2l just to have one. Pretty bad though when 378 cubic inches is considered big now and 213 cubic inches is acceptable in a Raptor. You could actually work on engines back then. Oh well, I guess that's progress to some...

It really doesn't matter anyways, I'm not crazy about the looks either. Maybe if it had more of a beast look like ours I could just debate the engine but throw the looks and the engine into the mix and it's just not going to work. Just give me a v8 in the new Bronco!

Heck I'm one year younger than you and like you I love V8's, had the fastest 69 Camaro in the OC for a long time, but one night on Witter blvd I seen VW Bug eat a Blown Big Block Camaro, that's when I learn about power to weight really madders. So V6? V8? whatever? As long as it hauls ass I'm in!

I am very much looking foward to my Raptor, if I can Vin & Date :-(

Last edited:

muddawg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A bit off topic but with the activity on this thread..... plus didn't fit in others and not worthy of own thread.....

The baffals or shutters or what ever they re called in the grill.... are these integrated into engine management systems for cold hot weather cooling / engine temp maintanence or some manual cluge??

Or when the forward camera sees a mud bog they slam shut .... joke

hkguns

FRF Addict
Reaction score

It really doesn't matter anyways, I'm not crazy about the looks either. Maybe if it had more of a beast look like ours I could just debate the engine but throw the looks and the engine into the mix and it's just not going to work. Just give me a v8 in the new Bronco!

I'm the same age as you and I absolutely love that Ford is pushing the technology envelope. It has nothing to do with young or old. Its about accepting change and the idea that something new and different can actually be better.

What you don't realize is they have to innovate and advance technology in order to stay in business.

ETA: Oh, and I hardly feel "old".

Last edited:

WyoStorm

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Newer is not necessarily better. Just look at the current state of 4x4s now. Nothing compared to 30 or 40 years ago. Good luck with twin turbos in a dusty environment too. Wouldn't want a Mustang with a V6 and certainly not a Raptor. But it's a lost cause because with the way
this country is going, we'll all be driving electric or solar or ?? vehicles down the road. I'll hoard the real vehicles until they try and take them from me.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

ZaneMasterX

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Newer is not necessarily better. Just look at the current state of 4x4s now. Nothing compared to 30 or 40 years ago. Good luck with twin turbos in a dusty environment too. Wouldn't want a Mustang with a V6 and certainly not a Raptor. But it's a lost cause because with the way
this country is going, we'll all be driving electric or solar or ?? vehicles down the road. I'll hoard the real vehicles until they try and take them from me.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Because turbos have never been run in dusty environments...ever.