Test Drive - Local dealer does not allow

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
T

TunaSmell

Reaction score
OP again. The sales manger did explain their policy w/r/t test drives. While they do get a large allocation of Raptors ..there were at least 5 2019s and few 2018s on the lot.. he said since these vehicles are on an allocation basis they prefer to avoid the chance something bad happens to these vehicles on a test drive. I totally understand. Dealer was very accommodating, welcoming and polite. When the furlough ends I will go back!

Trackar

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Figured I would post about my experience trying to test drive and purchase a Raptor. 1st time I went to potentially buy one was in March of 2017. Used, 25k miles on it, a little beat up, but the perfect spec I was looking for. The dealer wouldn't even open the truck for me!!! And they were asking 15k over sicker for a used truck! Dam nor Cal... I was 19 at the time so maybe that had something to do with it, but had they let me test drive it I would have most likely walked away with the truck that day.

That put a bad taste in my mouth and I was now looking for the right truck and the right dealer. I was able to finally test drive one in October of 2018. Dealer was very nice, but not willing to budge on a 25k mark up, I thanked them emesnsly for letting me test drive it, but they acted like this was the only Raptor I was going to be able to get my hands on.

Later in October after a bit of nagging I was able to get an allocation from my local dealer at sticker with hands down the best customer service I have ever received. They even called me in when any Raptor would come in for service so I could take a look at it to help me decide on options and color.

Reaction score
I went to a dealer and the first thing they asked me was if I was an exporter. Not off to a great start. They refused to even show me the truck because they thought I was an exporter. All I asked was to see the truck and then I will make an offer on it. He went on some rant how people export these and Ford will fine them. I am not sure what that had to do with me. It was a bizzare experience.

Fastback89

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My dealer insisted I drive it, they had the exact loaded leadfoot that I was interested in with 14 miles on the clock. This truck was only 14 days old when I test drove it and of coarse I made it mine, I wasn't going to this one out of my sight ever again

Yeti

Reaction score
That’s typical. I bought mine while it still had all the shipping stickers and protection on it. Would you really want to buy a Raptor that was test driven by anyone off the street? If they allowed that then people would go in and run the crap out of them. Same for the GT 350.

Speedracer800

Reaction score
In fairness to the dealership . Can you imagine how many ******** tire kickers they get everyday calling about Raptors and test drives. If you want to be treated like a serious customer then you should act like a serious customer.

Calling and just asking about about a test drive immediately is not really the right approach. Instead try calling about a specific Raptor you're interested in and ask specific questions about that vehicle never mentioning test drives. Then set up an appointment with the salesman to come in and look at the specific vehicle and he will simply hand you the keys and the test drive will be a non-issue.

Just some advice from someone who has bought plenty of high-end vehicles including Porsches, Ferraris, Aston Martins and finally a Raptor. Good luck

goblues38

FRF Addict
Reaction score
That’s typical. I bought mine while it still had all the shipping stickers and protection on it. Would you really want to buy a Raptor that was test driven by anyone off the street? If they allowed that then people would go in and run the crap out of them. Same for the GT 350.

it is a truck, not a woman. 5-10-20 miles makes no difference what so ever. As long as it is not taken "off road'...a basic test drive hurts nothing.

Kirby Lastinger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine let me take it for a test drive and that is what sold me. Best driving truck I have ever driven. I have also purchased a Shelby GT500 and an F350 from the same salesman so he knew I was there to buy.