Test Drive - Local dealer does not allow

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HeavyAssault

Full Access Member
Reaction score
stickler about having a ****** Raptor with zero mile,

I have yet to see Ford dealer Raptors for sale with under 10 miles. Most dealer Raptors already have 15+ miles on them. I don't understand that as you can find MANY other Ford units with under 10 miles on them ready for sale on the lot.

pierceography

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This honestly comes down to how good is your relationship with the dealer? For instance, the dealer I have an order in with let me test drive an '18 they had on the lot. But I got the very strong feeling the only reason they let me was because I had just bought a new Explorer from them two months prior, and put down a deposit on a Raptor order the same month.

With the Raptor being a performance vehicle, I'm sure there are a lot of people who just want to try it for the same reason some (as already noted) may want to tour a house they would never be able to afford: For the simple enjoyment of it.

If dealers let just anyone off the street test drive those trucks, they'd easily rack up 500-1000 miles within a few weeks. It's easy to spread miles like that across a lower trim you have 30 of sitting on the lot, but not with only a couple (at best) Raptors. Having a few hundred miles on an XLT won't affect its sale, but for a premium vehicle like a Raptor, discerning buyers are not going to accept a new vehicle with anything more than 100 miles on it.

And it's also difficult to establish whether you're dealing with a serious buyer off the street, or someone who wants to go spin some Raptor tires for fun. So I can't really blame the dealership for being cautious.

traxem

Full Access Member
Reaction score
And it's also difficult to establish whether you're dealing with a serious buyer off the street, or someone who wants to go spin some Raptor tires for fun. So I can't really blame the dealership for being cautious.

I think that you shouldn’t have to “look the part” for any dealer to treat you with respect. When I went shopping, I wore a pair of shorts, sandals, and a shirt with an animal face on it (see picture below). Some dealers respectfully explained their policy behind the “no test drive” rule, some were flat out rude (telling me all the Raptors on the lots were already sold so I couldn’t check out the interior), some didn’t even greet us, and one asked me for proof of funds (I almost lost it).

As long as the dealer treats everyone the same with regards to their test drive policy, I’m totally ok with it. Otherwise, discriminating based on personal bias could land them in hot water.

The Raptor is really my weekend fun vehicle. I’m an attorney who regularly drive downtown for court and meetings, and it’s not convenient to park a Raptor there. I really didn’t know much about the truck so the only way I’d buy it is if I could test drive it. I had no problem with the no test drive rule as long as it applied to everyone and not just me.

b677d86b813eb4729432440d46667384.jpg

pierceography

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think that you shouldn’t have to “look the part” for any dealer to treat you with respect. When I went shopping, I wore a pair of shorts, sandals, and a shirt with an animal face on it (see picture below). Some dealers respectfully explained their policy behind the “no test drive” rule, some were flat out rude (telling me all the Raptors on the lots were already sold so I couldn’t check out the interior), some didn’t even greet us, and one asked me for proof of funds (I almost lost it).

As long as the dealer treats everyone the same with regards to their test drive policy, I’m totally ok with it. Otherwise, discriminating based on personal bias could land them in hot water.

The Raptor is really my weekend fun vehicle. I’m an attorney who regularly drive downtown for court and meetings, and it’s not convenient to park a Raptor there. I really didn’t know much about the truck so the only way I’d buy it is if I could test drive it. I had no problem with the no test drive rule as long as it applied to everyone and not just me.

I can certainly agree you *shouldn't* have to look the part. When I'm not at work, I'm usually in either basketball shorts, t-shirt, flip flops, and a baseball hat OR if it's colder track pants and a hoodie. However, I also understand that if I'm walking in dressed like that asking to test drive a $75,000 vehicle I may have some extra convincing to take on. I chose to dress the way I did and I'm not going to be offended if someone initially forms an opinion based on it. In fact, I often use it to my advantage.

Usually within 1-2 minutes of a conversation, a sales guy (whether it be for a car, a house, or something as simple as light fixtures) can tell my income does not match my personal dress code. If they continue forward with some obviously non-uniform policy, I'll simply go elsewhere. But asking for a buyer to prove income before a test drive? They can f-ck right off with that.

But ultimately, I don't fault the dealer one bit for wanting to keep miles off a premium vehicle. When I test drove at my dealership, I was very specific that I did NOT want to test drive a customer order, as I would be livid if someone else drove my truck before I took delivery. I only wanted to test a dealer ordered truck, and only for 5 or so miles to get a feel. However, I feel like I'm in the minority there, and the dealer needs to prevent those who feel/act otherwise.

traxem

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I should have clarified that when they told me all Raptors on the lot were sold, they were most likely lying. They wouldn’t even unlock the two Raptors that were roped off near the front door for me to look at the interior. It was flat out discrimination. I agree about customer order and wouldn’t want to touch another customer’s truck.

waveslayer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think the bias is ridiculous! I had the same experience when I walked into a Land Rover dealership looking to buy a LR4 . I pulled up in my commuter car, Corrolla. Not one person would greet me, my brother was even with me. I promptly left.
I returned back next week in a new car, and what do you know, 2 salesman met me at the door. I didn't even walk in. I said, "about a week ago I walked in and wasn't greeted at all. I left and bought that instead, pointing to my new car, too bad I was walking in to buy a car that day. I gave my money elsewhere. "

True story we still laugh about it to this day. Especially after my buddy became their Finance guy. Ha ha I still won't ever return to that dealership

My wife thinks I only have 3 guns

jasonbrent

Reaction score
I wear flip-flops almost all year around, no matter the situation I'm in and t-shirts most of the time... I definitely don't look any part but *ME*.

While I did end up with a raptor, it was a very circuitous route to get there and Ford dealerships won zero points along the way.

Went to a Ford dealership with the express and specified intention to buy 2 vehicles that day, one for the wife (explorer), and a Raptor I wanted them to pull from another store for me. The Ford dealership had a very difficult time letting me take a raptor out for a test drive, and flat out ignored my request for an overnight loaner to see if it is what I really wanted. Heck, they would only loan us a used explorer for the night (needed to see if some things fit in it...).

Wife decided the explorer wasn't for her, so we went over to Mercedes and ended up finding a CPO GL450 for my wife which we bought that afternoon... while there I eyed a C63 in the showroom behind numerous vehicles.. just expressing interest resulted in the "wave of cars" magically moving and them pulling the C63 out for me to test drive. I ended up placing an order for a C63S as a result. This is a "starts around 70, and can hit 100k very well equipped" vehicle that I didn't even have to ask to test drive.

Left Mercedes and went to check out a a 2014 and 2017 GT-R I'd found... no problems test driving that either of those and I ended up buying the 2017 GT-R that night.

A month later, I sold the GT-R and picked up the Raptor.... I still haven't cancelled the C63S order as I might ultimately go back to that V8 sound...

The point of this rambling is Ford dealerships thinks way too highly of their Raptor. It's a great truck, but Ford dealerships do not know how to treat their customers in a the 75K+ market space.

-j

Last edited:

pierceography

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I wear flip-flops almost all year around, no matter the situation I'm in and t-shirts most of the time... I definitely don't look any part but *ME*.

While I did end up with a raptor, it was a very circuitous route to get there and Ford dealerships won zero points along the way.

Went to a Ford dealership with the express and specified intention to buy 2 vehicles that day, one for the wife (explorer), and a Raptor I wanted them to pull from another store for me. The Ford dealership had a very difficult time letting me take a raptor out for a test drive, and flat out ignored my request for an overnight loaner to see if it is what I really wanted. Heck, they would only loan us a used explorer for the night (needed to see if some things fit in it...).

Wife decided the explorer wasn't for her, so we went over to Mercedes and ended up finding a CPO GL450 for my wife which we bought that afternoon... while there I eyed a C63 in the showroom behind numerous vehicles.. just expressing interest resulted in the "wave of cars" magically moving and them pulling the C63 out for me to test drive. I ended up placing an order for a C63S as a result. This is a "starts around 70, and can hit 100k very well equipped" vehicle that I didn't even have to ask to test drive.

Left Mercedes and went to check out a a 2014 and 2017 GT-R I'd found... no problems test driving that either of those and I ended up buying the 2017 GT-R that night.

A month later, I sold the GT-R and picked up the Raptor.... I still haven't cancelled the C63S order as I might ultimately go back to that V8 sound...

The point of this rambling is Ford dealerships thinks way too highly of their Raptor. It's a great truck, but Ford dealerships do not know how to treat their customers in a the 75K+ market space.

-j

I think that door swings both ways. Yes, you're spending $75,000+ on a vehicle. But the sales guy you're dealing with moves primarily base Escapes and Fusions that cost a third of what a Raptor does. You can't suddenly expect them to alter their behavior because you're spending more money. If they had that ability, they would be in a much different (and higher commission) space than selling cars.

Though honest question, and maybe my viewpoint is somewhat narrow... But why do some people in this thread come off as offended by this behavior? There have been plenty of times I've been judged by the clothes I choose to wear in my free time, and I find it amusing. If a car salesman treats me differently because of how I dress and loses out on a sale because of it, I'm still going to get what I want... Just not from him. Why be offended? Isn't that his loss? (Again, I'm not trying to diminish or discard opinions... just attempting to understand)

Something that happened to me fairly recently was I visited a local millworks to grab some lumber I couldn't get from your local big box store. (I like to woodwork in my spare time) I showed up in clothes that you wouldn't expect someone with knowledge of woodworking to wear. The guys there gave me the initial, "Another white collar yuppie....." look as soon as I walked in. Within 5 minutes of conversation, they understood I knew what I was talking about and dropped the attitude. I wasn't offended at all, as it's likely the vast majority of the guys who walk in looking like I did really were going to just waste their time. And their time (much like the miles on a Raptor) is valuable and better spent elsewhere.

So yeah, I think spending a small amount of time proving that you're a serious buyer (or have knowledge of the material, in the case of my lumber mill example) isn't such an awful thing. Or, let's put it in a more specific scenario: You're selling your Raptor privately, and someone texts you asking for a test drive. You're pretty certain based on your limited interaction they have no intention of buying, they just want to drive it for the hell of it. Would you let them without further establishing motive?

(Though I do want to be clear, taking this behavior too far or flat our refusing any test drive specifically on bias alone wouldn't sit well with me either)

traxem

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Your example of woodworking skills makes sense. However, buying a car isn’t the same thing. All that is required to buy a car is money and/or good credit. Judging a potential customer based on their appearance leads to other bad behaviors. It’s something that dealers ought to train their employees to recognize and control.

This is my first Ford, and I got very similar treatments at a lot of Ford dealerships. I love the truck, but hated the shopping experience.

I’ve bought BMW, Toyota, Lexus, and Mercedes. And I can tell you that buying a Ford was unique experience—and not in a good way. Not sure if I’ll buy another Ford, but I’d like to see if it’s a Raptor thing and not a Ford thing.

SSWIM

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Profiling is absolutely a common practice regarding certain vehicle test drives. Is it unwarranted? I don't think so. Of course there are many exceptions to the rule. Like mentioned in the above post, would you let just anybody drive your Raptor? Probably not. Sadly there are numerous people that just want to drive a new vehicle without any intention of buying said vehicle. Just a joy ride. Dealerships often have their own specific protocol regarding test drives. Some do, some don't.

Sam