Test Drive - Local dealer does not allow

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HeavyAssault

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Test drove a '19 on two different occasions, same dealership no strings attached. Went to test drive a '17 WRX STI Limited at a different dealership....they want my credit approved before driving. LMAO

goblues38

FRF Addict
Reaction score
yep...dont buy there. my dealer had no problems letting me test drive my raptor, they had to go with me, but let me drive it as far as I wanted. did a 20 mile test drive on all kinds of roads, including the interstate.

goblues38

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I am in real estate, we get folks that want to view homes even though they do not have a hope in hell of getting financed. I have to screen those folks out, most of the time we get it right, the odd time we get it wrong..

true that. the op may have rolled up in a 1992 Honda Accord looking like he just got out of bed.

I know in my case. I was in a coat and tie just coming from work, and was driving my 2015 Audi SQ5. So I at least looked like I had the means to buy. in fact I bought two cars that night. 19 raptor and 18 explorer sport. my salesman was great. he treated me right, I treated him right.

JohnyPython

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Yup no test drives at my dealer. They want ****** vehicles on the lot. I took it for a spin after I signed the deal.

Some Subaru dealers do that with STis.

I remember not being able to test drive an Acura. I never bought one.

Swacer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If its a dealership in which getting SVT cars is not common, they typically won't let you drive their 'show pieces'.

Now, also, the weather is junk. They prefer not to have you get their vehicle all chipped up if you're not going to buy it anyways.

Its a risk/reward with them.

Wileecoyote

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Tough call. I'm not interested in a truck that's been test driven by a bunch of people, during it's break in period no less - but I'd like to try it out. Then there's the test pilots...nobody wants them in any vehicle. A big dealer would need to have a sacrificial lamb, I guess. Smaller dealers probably can't afford that.

I know I can make more selling my Gen 1 when my Gen 2 arrives to the retail market, but then I'd have to put up with test pilots. I don't need that stress. I'll likely be choosing to take the hit and sell it wholesale.

Shogunn of Panama

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Bittersweet situation. I needed permission to sit in my car (was roped off) at the Nissan dealership even after displaying intent to purchase. A little overboard, but I knew my car would be immaculate and hadn’t had some dirty teenager getting his **** beaters on the interior. But I agree, it can be an annoyance.

traxem

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It’s pretty typical around my area in Seattle to not allow Raptor test drives. I was able to convince a dealer to let me test drive one with 100 miles already on the odo. It was a dealer trade so the miles must have been added somewhere else. I ended up buying that one after the test drive.

If you’re a stickler about having a ****** Raptor with zero mile, then don’t complain about “no test drive rules”. If you test drive a new one from one dealer and then buy one from another dealer that doesn’t allow test drive, then you’re just encouraging all dealers to stop allowing test drives.

HeavyAssault

Full Access Member
Reaction score
WRX was used at a Toyota dealer. The funny part is the BMW place tossed me the keys to the M5 Comp with their sales guy riding shotgun. Guy was cool the whole ride even at 90+ on the interstate.