Swaybar Disconnects - Ford Raptor

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MagicMtnDan

FRF Addict
Reaction score
If you want to go on a ride with me I will show you how the removal of the sway bar actually makes the truck more stable is certain instances ;) but you need to put a plastic bag down on my leather before you get in!!!

I'm sure there are times when jumping your Raptor 4' in the air is fun too but I'm gonna let you do that AND disconnect your sway bar. If it makes you happy and not upside down then what the hell - go for it!

OP
OP
KaiserM715

KaiserM715

Kaiser Söze
Reaction score
Ya that's what worries me. It's one thing having them get loose rock crawling or even at 20 mph....but you get something in thw wheel well loose at 60+ going through some whoops and there might be an issue.

Most of them twist it a couple of times like a twist tie. Another option is to have an additional stud mounted in the fender well and pin the sway bar up.

131_0905_07_z+jeep_tj_suspension_kit+sway_bar_disconnects.jpg

Yeah, I'm still not buying it. Any comparisons between Jeeps and their offroad use and the Raptor's offroad use are probably invalid. When low speed rock crawling is involved, disconnecting the sway bars makes sense. At the speeds that many will run their Raptors I don't believe disconnecting their sway bars is a good idea. I'm afraid folks will do this just because it's a mod and it's cool and sounds good to talk about.

Depending on your use, disconnecting the sway bars might (MIGHT) be a good idea. BUT...

Dan-
I think the disconnects have a lot of merit for off-road use in a variety of situations. Take a look at any of the Baja trucks (take a look at the lean as a trophy truck makes that first turn at Baja) as well as just about any pre-runner. Almost all are without sway bars as they limit suspension travel and can unsettle the suspension (plus, some suspension geometries will not allow their use). For example: a vehicle is on a sweeping left hand turn. The vehicle hits a rock with the driver's side front wheel. The passenger side wheel (which is doing a lot more of the work in this turn) would become unsettled as it is connected directly to the driver side wheel via the sway bar. Another example: a vehicle is going down a road that is bumpy on the passenger side and smooth on the driver side. With no sway bar, the passenger side tires can react independently to the bumps w/o affecting the driver side tires. Adding a sway bar would force a reaction to the driver side tires. In these two examples, higher speeds would only magnify the effects.

That being said, sway bars come on every vehicle sold these days as they do significantly help control a loaded vehicle on the road. Personally, I would never go without one on the road. Also, I think a disconnect (as shown above) offers the best of both worlds and lets the user decide when/where to have or not have a sway bar.

Folks need to weigh the benefits and decide what is best for them. And if someone does not feel comfortable disconnecting their sway bars, then they should do what they feel comfortable with.

3camburg.jpg

0505mmfp_01z+ford_off_road_trophy_truck+right_front_view.jpg

0505mmfp_06z+ford_off_road_trophy_truck+suspension_view.jpg

As an aside, the only company that makes a sway bar for off-road use is Currie. But they caveat their AntiRock system: "...will have more body roll than stock. This Sway Bar may be used on the street, however it will not provide the same performance as the stock setup."

frogslinger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Any reason you would not run with your sway bar connected and then just disconnect it when you hit a super technical section then hook it back up when you want to go fast?

bstoner59

does it come in shmedium?
Reaction score
Maybe I'll look into getting an air tank mounted...then I can air-up and put the sway bar back on when I get back to the pavement. It's a 5 min job w/ ait tools

BigJ

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Maybe I'll look into getting an air tank mounted...then I can air-up and put the sway bar back on when I get back to the pavement. It's a 5 min job w/ ait tools
That's kinda where my brain is going too. Been looking at air solutions, since our last outing proved to me the benefit of airing down.

Still though, I'd like to send one off to my builder. The guy is a freaking genius; if it can be done, he'll figure out the best way to do it.

OP
OP
KaiserM715

KaiserM715

Kaiser Söze
Reaction score
I saw my first Power Wagon in person and took a gander at the sway bar disconnect it uses. Pretty trick.

0807_4wd_04_z+dodge_power_wagon_off_road_truck+aam_front_end.jpg

MagicMtnDan

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Here's an aftermarket setup for J/K Jeeps:

p_2000_2001_2002.jpg

The unique variable-length design enables JKS Quicker Disconnects to correct improper anti-swaybar angle caused by vehicle changes, such as: spring settling or sagging, minor lift changes, heavy accessories, vehicle trim or rake adjustments, and other factors that affect ride height.

JKS Quicker Disconnects are also the easiest to operate, due in part to tapered stainless steel mounting posts and floating, spherical polyurethane bushings. With the lengths adjusted properly for the vehicle, the user can even operate our Quicker Disconnects when parked on uneven surfaces.

Removing the convenient click-pins allow the disconnects to slide easily from their mounting posts for safe stowage inside the vehicle, or to be secured to the vehicle with the swaybar, depending on the application.

Manufactured from premium heavy-gauge steel, JKS Quicker Disconnects are robotically MIG welded for superior quality standards. Zinc plating and a durable powdercoat finish provide unsurpassed protection from corrosion and the elements.

Grease zerks provide easy lubrication, and ensure proper flow of grease to adjustment threads and bushings. The bushings themselves are injection molded Dura-Thane™ pieces exclusively designed for JKS to maximize grease distribution and allow full rotation under loads.

Link: http://store.jksmfg.com/merchant2/m..._Code=JKS01&Category_Code=Swaybar_Disconnects

MagicMtnDan

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Yeah, I'm not sure it's as simple as that although to some it may be. Most Raptor owners spend the vast majority of their time on-road where sway bars certainly provide benefits.