Swaybar Disconnects - Ford Raptor

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

KaiserM715

Kaiser Söze
Reaction score
One thing to note: I removed my sway bar and the added firmness has removed a lot of the sway I would get in the turns.

@Dan and J: I've had my sway bar off for 15000 miles....much better handling off-road.

Dan the reason I took the sway bar off was to allow the front end to act independently of each other...when you are sliding though a turn with small whoops are bump in the middle it allows the front end to work while the nose stays level. Not as much side to side movement transferred to the cab. I ran both setups off-road and I like the one without the sway bar the best. I am willing to give up certain on-road performance characteristics for a better off-road feel...that's just me.

Based on this discussion on another thread, has anyone looked at building/buying/modifying sway bar disconnects like the Jeep guys have? I can definitely see an advantage to having the sway bars disconnected off-road. With disconnects we can have the best of both worlds: sway bars on the road (esp while towing) and no sway bars off-road.

Here are some examples:
1.jpg

rc-jeep-sway-bar-disconnects-1187.jpg

BigJ

FRF Addict
Reaction score
If someone who's taken theirs off wants to ship it to me, I'll get my builder to take a look and see about making something...

bstoner59

does it come in shmedium?
Reaction score
I could do that. My question with those is what happens to the disconnected part?

bstoner59

Reaction score
The Jeep guys I know usually had a piece of wire or something like that run in the fender well to hold the sway bar up out of the way.

Ya that's what worries me. It's one thing having them get loose rock crawling or even at 20 mph....but you get something in thw wheel well loose at 60+ going through some whoops and there might be an issue.

MagicMtnDan

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Yeah, I'm still not buying it. Any comparisons between Jeeps and their offroad use and the Raptor's offroad use are probably invalid. When low speed rock crawling is involved, disconnecting the sway bars makes sense. At the speeds that many will run their Raptors I don't believe disconnecting their sway bars is a good idea. I'm afraid folks will do this just because it's a mod and it's cool and sounds good to talk about.

Depending on your use, disconnecting the sway bars might (MIGHT) be a good idea. BUT...

bstoner59

Reaction score
Yeah, I'm still not buying it. Any comparisons between Jeeps and their offroad use and the Raptor's offroad use are probably invalid. When low speed rock crawling is involved, disconnecting the sway bars makes sense. At the speeds that many will run their Raptors I don't believe disconnecting their sway bars is a good idea. I'm afraid folks will do this just because it's a mod and it's cool and sounds good to talk about.

Depending on your use, disconnecting the sway bars might (MIGHT) be a good idea. BUT...

If you want to go on a ride with me I will show you how the removal of the sway bar actually makes the truck more stable is certain instances ;) but you need to put a plastic bag down on my leather before you get in!!!

Falcon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
;) but you need to put a plastic bag down on my leather before you get in!!!

DAMN you Brian! You should have said "Falcon, put a plastic bag down on your computer chair before you read this!" <G>

Falcon, *****