Storage Solution Question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Nex

RIP CoronaRaptor
Reaction score
What about a lockable tonneau cover and put the luggage in the bed? I ran one on my superduty and carried large plastic totes.

Can look into the dog ramps for the back seat dog area.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
Unless you have a cage behind the seats, don’t do it.
Everything stored there will be ballistic in a collision or roll over. Anything in your cabin that’s unsecured can launch in a collision but luggage would definitely fùck somebody up if it went flying.

OP
OP
K9 EXPERT

K9 EXPERT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It actually fits in cab, that’s why I like it for colder weather. Pretty much fills the back seat area with the seats up with space above it.
I really appreciate the suggestion, but my dog will destroy it. Google Belgian Malinois….many thanks

HighwaySentinel

︻デ┳═ー - - - - - - -
Reaction score
It seems as though we don't really know what you plan on storing in the space that is created. You said luggage, but then when someone suggested the luggage go in a locked bed, you said it would be too hot. I've transported luggage in 110 degree heat under my Bakflip and never had an issue. I do agree with the other poster who stated that you need to have a cage separating the front from rear compartments though if you plan on storing anything at the height of your head. I've seen many many injuries as a result of the interior contents of a vehicle making contact with occupants during a traffic collision. Not all of those were major collisions either.

mts

Reaction score
I would look at something like this to keep your luggage from becoming a missile in a collision:

Then perhaps building a basic 3 sided platform that your Malinois can comfortably fit under if he won't eat it. I've got former K9 GSD and he does really well in the back of the Raptor in a hammock (never damages anything and seems to like it back there). However, put him in an enclosed box or structure and all bets are off. I know GSD's are often more calm than Mal's, but the same general set of issues. Part of the reason I have my Raptor is it's a much shorter jump for my guy vs. my old truck.

Unfortunately, I am not aware of anything out there ready made that quite fits the bill of what you are looking for.

IMG_5015.jpg

OP
OP
K9 EXPERT

K9 EXPERT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It seems as though we don't really know what you plan on storing in the space that is created. You said luggage, but then when someone suggested the luggage go in a locked bed, you said it would be too hot. I've transported luggage in 110 degree heat under my Bakflip and never had an issue. I do agree with the other poster who stated that you need to have a cage separating the front from rear compartments though if you plan on storing anything at the height of your head. I've seen many many injuries as a result of the interior contents of a vehicle making contact with occupants during a traffic collision. Not all of those were major collisions either.
Sorry, not too hot for luggage, too hot for dog. If I go on a trip I will have a duel crate in the rear bed and there will be little room for luggage. I can place the luggage inside the create and remove it when I place the dogs inside it, but I prefer not to do it like that. Check out the attached pics, the duel crate will replace the single crate in June when I get a second Malinois. I also carry two collapsible impact crates and an ice chest to keep their food fresh in hot weather. The Truck Vault drawers are filled with weapons and dog training gear. Yesterday I ordered a drop rack from RSI that I will probably use for the luggage. I just hope it doesn’t generate wind noise.

Attachments

• 29F9787E-9950-417E-9285-E0AFDC47D407.jpeg
    29F9787E-9950-417E-9285-E0AFDC47D407.jpeg
    178.6 KB · Views: 23
  • B0DF6C37-7EBD-459E-B642-D9F213D2A07B.jpeg
    B0DF6C37-7EBD-459E-B642-D9F213D2A07B.jpeg
    214.1 KB · Views: 23
OP
OP
K9 EXPERT

K9 EXPERT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would look at something like this to keep your luggage from becoming a missile in a collision:

Then perhaps building a basic 3 sided platform that your Malinois can comfortably fit under if he won't eat it. I've got former K9 GSD and he does really well in the back of the Raptor in a hammock (never damages anything and seems to like it back there). However, put him in an enclosed box or structure and all bets are off. I know GSD's are often more calm than Mal's, but the same general set of issues. Part of the reason I have my Raptor is it's a much shorter jump for my guy vs. my old truck.

Unfortunately, I am not aware of anything out there ready made that quite fits the bill of what you are looking for.

View attachment 393028
Actually that would be perfect to keep the luggage from flying forward…..if I can figure out some type of shelf system. If not, I will just go with a rack on top as I described below. I understand what you mean about the dog jumping from a high platform. I have a 2019 Raptor and a 2021 37. I am sorry I bought 37 because it is actually 3 inches higher for the dog to jump in and out of the rear compartment. I actually purchased a set of collapsible steps for him to ascend and descend. As you are well aware, these dogs take a beating, and I’m just trying to protect his joints as long as possible. On a side note, I left him inside a previous employers Humvee for about 5 minutes while I was trying to help push another vehicle off the road. When I returned to the Humvee, the interior was covered in what appeared to be yellow snow. Within 5 minutes, the dog ripped apart the seats and foam was everywhere.

melvimbe

FRF Addict
Reaction score
The Problem with a box on the floor is, it will increase the distance for the dog to jump onto the ground. Malinois are athletic and can easily do it, but like humans, the more they jump, the more wear and tear on the body. My dog is a combat assault dog and gets enough wear and tear in training and real work. I do not want to shorten his workable life. I will be getting a young imported Malinois in June and I also want to save his joints.

Then don't cover the entire rear floor with the box. I have 2 collapsable boxes I place on the floor, each covering half the cab space. I use two for longer trips, but for short trips, I only use one. I have an older dog that can't make the jump anymore, and I actually have to pick him up. I'd rather do that to floor level that seat level, and he can step up once in for more space to lay down and easily look out the window.

My boxes are designed with seats down, but you could do make something with the seats, down that should hold some luggage.

azcoov

Reaction score
When the rear seats are in the up position, is a commercial product available that is strong enough to hold luggage approximately 12” below the roof? It should be long enough to span between the two rear doors. Please refer to the attached picture and note the red arrow above the dogs head. The space above the arrow is where I want the ability to place luggage. When I am driving, my dog is always in the rear passenger compartment and the area above the red arrow is dead space that I would like to use. Thanks for your help!
What is the current protection you have in the picture? I'm looking for something similar for my dogs.

OP
OP
K9 EXPERT

K9 EXPERT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Then don't cover the entire rear floor with the box. I have 2 collapsable boxes I place on the floor, each covering half the cab space. I use two for longer trips, but for short trips, I only use one. I have an older dog that can't make the jump anymore, and I actually have to pick him up. I'd rather do that to floor level that seat level, and he can step up once in for more space to lay down and easily look out the window.

My boxes are designed with seats down, but you could do make something with the seats, down that should hold some luggage.
The issue is, sometime around June I get a second Malinois and the two dogs will need the entire rear floor.