Sp 542

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RaptorFlipper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That is a really good question. My guess is that once these trucks arrive to the dealers, there a few mods they do for their own reasons. Where I got my 18 they do their own bed liners and window tints, so mine had those installed upon arrival. And I am sure along the assembly line process Ford makes slight changes during the production process. Maybe they changed plugs halfway through. I am sure m truck was on the tail end of the 18's. In any case, I received another confirmation from expert in the field last night(friend of a friend who works on mainly raptors in Atlanta) that the plugs we are using, are in fact, the best plug for our trucks for those running higher boost and who have upgraded the performance parts on their trucks.

TXRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
In any case, I received another confirmation from expert in the field last night(friend of a friend who works on mainly raptors in Atlanta) that the plugs we are using, are in fact, the best plug for our trucks for those running higher boost and who have upgraded the performance parts on their trucks.

You mean the colder SP 542s or the ones that came with our trucks are better?

OP
OP
B

bo1966

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Now that I know what y'alls trucks came with, I'm gonna get back to the original question. What difference will I see in the truck if I change them

RaptorFlipper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It comes down to heat transfer to help keep the engine from detonating or pre igniting. The colder plugs transfers heat faster. Hotter plugs hold the heat longer and transfer heat at the wrong time causing broken parts and pre-igniting the fuel/air mixture. bottom line is the truck will rum/perform better with the colder plugs. and have less issues.

Sledgehammer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Now that I know what y'alls trucks came with, I'm gonna get back to the original question. What difference will I see in the truck if I change them

If your truck already idles good and doesn’t surge/hesitate when accelerating then Likely you wont notice anything. My truck from day one would at times have a rough idle and often when doing a hard acceleration you would feel a hesitaion like misfire. I replaced the plugs with the sp542’s and all that is gone now.

OPT PRIME

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So why did ford not put the same plug in every truck from factory?

Because there is nothing wrong with the factory plug. I have a higher boost Whipple Stg 1 tune on factory plugs, ZERO issues.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TXRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Because there is nothing wrong with the factory plug. I have a higher boost Whipple Stg 1 tune on factory plugs, ZERO issues.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

His comment was based on the different plugs Ford installs at the factory. The SP 542 being discussed in this thread is NOT one of the ones they install.