Winter De-Tune - Spark Plug Choice?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

XSTNKT

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm planning to de-tune my truck for the winter months. I'm currently running the Cobb Stage 1 OTS tune. I am also running the COLD PLUGS from Goose. Will go back to stock or possibly an 87 octane tune. I searched around on the forum and haven't seen anything definitive on spark plugs.

My question is: Should I switch back to an OEM plug when I switch back to an OEM(ish) tune?

My assumption is yes. But, thought I'd confirm. Also, I'd like to confirm the stock OEM plug for the 2018 Raptor is CYFS12YRT3 (SP-594)? There seems to be some confusion on this on the previous threads.

Thanks for your help!

OP
OP
XSTNKT

XSTNKT

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Whats the point of this?
Being in GA, you wouldn't understand. lol

There is no need for all the power during the winter in Michigan. It actually makes road manners in the ice more annoying. It's already bad enough in a slight drizzle.

thatJeepguy

FRF Addict
Reaction score

There is no need for all the power during the winter in Michigan. It actually makes road manners in the ice more annoying. It's already bad enough in a slight drizzle.
Ahhh i didn't think of that. Leave the plugs in!

Zeusmotorworks

Semi-retired, now just a happy grumpy old man!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sooo my Stage 2 Goosetune runs fine in the wet, ok at best on ice, not sure on snow. However, that is only when I select the mode icon represented by a snowflake and two drops.

<edit> forgot, did run ok in the melting snow, Texas Snowpocolypes 2021/2022.

Old-Raptor-guy

FRF Addict
Reaction score

So what you are saying is you don't actually know how to drive anything but a prius.

I would get tracks before I detuned, just saying.

And yes I have seen a Michigan winter (upper peninsula) definitely harsh, even compared to my location.

OP
OP
XSTNKT

XSTNKT

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So what you are saying is you don't actually know how to drive anything but a prius.

I would get tracks before I detuned, just saying.

And yes I have seen a Michigan winter (upper peninsula) definitely harsh, even compared to my location.

haha. Maybe true. I also like to cheat when possible. So currently have Nokian Hippopolettiisaasifrasscoochietoot (??) tires on order for a set of 2018 17" OEM wheels I've picked up.

I was in a bad accident 25 years ago on ice. Totaled my favorite truck (1990 Ranger 4x4 6cly). :( Damn near died. Knocked power out in the whole projects adjacent to the pole I knocked down on Superbowl Sunday about 10min into the game. :shooter: Ever since then, I've had a strange respect for winter roads. Since I moved back to Michigan (10ish years ago now), I've always had Jeeps and winter tires which has served me well.