Need spark plug gap help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ragingred

Reaction score
I recently changed my spark plugs and used the Ford Performance cold plugs. Description on stage3motorsports states that the gap is set at .031. I recently had a cylinder 1 misfire causing the truck to shake and lose almost all power. Pulled off the road and checked everything I could without tools and started it back up and no CEL but it stored the misfire code. Would that be caused by the gap being off? I have seen on here a lot of guys are setting gaps to .028. Any help would be appreciated

Attachments

• IMG_2389.jpeg
    IMG_2389.jpeg
    142.2 KB · Views: 11

thatJeepguy

FRF Addict
Reaction score
.031 is fine on my rig . Maybe you have something else going on like a bad tune, not enough intercooler , injector , wrong gas for your tune… Could be a coil… have to troubleshoot. How many miles on the and what mods?

OP
OP
R

Ragingred

Reaction score
.031 is fine on my rig . Maybe you have something else going on like a bad tune, not enough intercooler , injector , wrong gas for your tune… Could be a coil… have to troubleshoot. How many miles on the and what mods?
I have 70k on the truck. I had a Cobb FMIC, AMS turbo inlets, 180 thermostat, replaced the plugs with the ford performance cold plugs, and am running a MPT 93 PRX map. Had those mods for about a month now with zero issues. Running only 93 octane, always have even before the tune.

blwn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Easy troubleshooting would be to move that coil pack to a different cylinder and see if the misfires follows. It's possible you have a damaged plug, but if you've been running the plugs for a month that is more doubtful

OP
OP
R

Ragingred

Reaction score
Easy troubleshooting would be to move that coil pack to a different cylinder and see if the misfires follows. It's possible you have a damaged plug, but if you've been running the plugs for a month that is more doubtful
Yeah I think I’ll give that a try. Maybe pull the plug from cylinder 1 while I’m taking that coil off and just have a look for any obvious damage. I’ll update once I give that a go.