Sp 542

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bo1966

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Are these a Ford part? Just got 1k on the truck and changing the oil to full synthetic so thought I'd have them install the plugs while it's there. Is .030 the recommended gap? What difference will I notice in the truck. Please excuse my ignorance but haven't had anything with spark plugs in over 25 yrs.

Guy

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes

They are the baby ecoboost plugs.

They are FOMOCO

Are these a Ford part? Just got 1k on the truck and changing the oil to full synthetic so thought I'd have them install the plugs while it's there. Is .030 the recommended gap? What difference will I notice in the truck. Please excuse my ignorance but haven't had anything with spark plugs in over 25 yrs.

OP
OP
B

bo1966

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What is the point of changing them so early on?

Basically because I keep reading how good they are. But no idea what there gonna do for me. The dealership owes me a free service so thought I'd do that if it makes an improvement.

RaptorFlipper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They are colder plugs that actually do do something. My mechanic explained it, but i cant quite remember enough to explain correctly. I can tell you i upgraded the plugs in both my raptors and it makes a difference. Someone help me out here with the explanation please.

OP
OP
B

bo1966

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They are colder plugs that actually do do something. My mechanic explained it, but i cant quite remember enough to explain correctly. I can tell you i upgraded the plugs in both my raptors and it makes a difference. Someone help me out here with the explanation please.

Can you explain the difference please

IRONMAN

Reaction score

Read the main thread > here<

RaptorFlipper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok. Here we go. It has to wit the heat range of our engines. This is the speed at which the spark plug can transfer heat from the firing tip to the cylinder head water jacket into the cooling system. Choosing the right heat range is critical to high performance engines. The sp 542 is a "colder" plug with a shorter insulator nose length(the distance from the tip to the spark plug shell), and transfers heat rapidly from its firing tip to the water jacket. Cold plugs are ideal for high rpm engines, FORCED INDUCTION applications, and other instances where engine temps operate at a high rate. The bottom line is that these plugs help our engines with heat transfer to help keep the engine from detonating or pre ignition. Colder plugs transfer heat faster. Hotter plugs(like the stock ones) can hold heat longer and transfer it at the wrong time and pre-ignite the air/fuel mixture. This can cause broken parts. Hope that helps.