Sp 542

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Higgs Boson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the 542s may be different from 2017 plugs but they were identical to my 2018 plugs, which were also not the plugs the threads stated were in the truck stock.

i think ford made a change from 17 to 18. i do agree with the benefits of a colder plug when needed, but in my experience with my truck, the 542s will not benefit.

i measure spark advance and retard, knock, etc etc and they provided no benefit. my truck has adapters, downpipes, tune, etc.

placebo, at least for an 18, I can't speak for a 17.

RaptorFlipper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That is interesting Higgs. There are quite few guys on here who swear by them. My mechanic thought they were better as well. I am only saying what he said about them. Maybe Ford did make a switch this year. Let me go see what was in mine stock.

Onemoosehorn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sp 542’s made a big difference in my 18 as far as idling. Little better pull throughout boost also. I can tell a difference. But my 18 also had SP 527’s from factory, according to the part number, for some reason.

TXRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Yes,

I am trying to find out what mine had from Ford. I replaced immediately. Ill keep you posted.

My 2018 had the following plugs:

CYFS12PCT

I swapped them at 2000 miles. I was not having any of the problems others reported, but I wanted to avoid issues.

Where do you find the translation from the part on the plug to the type?

Last edited:
OP
OP
B

bo1966

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just like changing the oil so early. There is no point to it.

Change your oil when you want. I'll do the same[COLOR="Red"[COLOR="Red"]

---------- Post added at 09:34 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:33 PM ----------[/SIZE

---------- Post added at 09:37 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:34 PM ----------

Thank you for explaining it. It is appreciated. Also, thank you for not just making comments that don't address or answer the original questions

Onemoosehorn

Full Access Member
Reaction score

CYFS12PCT

I swapped them at 2000 miles. I was not having any of the problems others reported, but I wanted to avoid issues.

I just did a search online for the part number. A dealer I called had no idea the “SP” equivalent for the part number. I believe that’s the same plug I had. That number was the 527, from what I could find. I could be wrong though.

NASSTY

FRF Addict
Reaction score

CYFS12PCT

My 2017 came with CYFS-12Y-PCT. I replaced them with SP 550 which also have part# CYFS-12Y-PCT on them. I ran the part# for the hell of it and that # comes up as SP 550 and also says Superseded Part Number SP-527. So it appears that SP 550 and SP 527 are the same.

Onemoosehorn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My 2017 came with CYFS-12Y-PCT. I replaced them with SP 550 which also have part# CYFS-12Y-PCT on them. I ran the part# for the hell of it and that # comes up as SP 550 and also says Superseded Part Number SP-527. So it appears that SP 550 and SP 527 are the same.

Thanks.

RaptorFlipper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok. My 18 came with Motorcraft SP534 or CYFS-12Y-T3. I replaced with higher boost plug SP542 OR CYFS-092-YPT. Pre-gapped at 025-030. I simply went with what my guy suggested. All he does is work on race cars and trucks. The truck runs awesome! Hope this info helps.