Some Water in Intake

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I recently purchased a 2019 Raptor and took it out off-roading for the first time. I decided to go through some water that was about as deep as the top of the stock tires I have. I entered a little to fast and made a decent sized splash, the length of the puddle was maybe less than 50ft. When I got to the other side on high ground the truck had a funny idle for a few minutes but did not turn off. I took off the stock air filter and saw that it was wet, I dried out the filter box and air dried the filter. Returning back to the camp site the truck felt normal and the drive home felt normal as well. I don't feel like I lost power or anything. I plan on changing the oil this week as soon as possible. Anything I should be concerned about? It didn't Hydrolock I believe and the truck feels fine. Worried about what can happen and google hasn't been much help other than stressing me out more lol. Any information or feedback is appreciated thank you.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Sounds like you lucked out and the engine probably just ingested some moisture through the air filter. Definitely change the oil as you mentioned and replace the air filter with a new one. You may also want to disconnect the charge piping at the charge air cooler to verify there is not water pooled in there.

OP
OP
luisegutierrez1
Reaction score
Yeah I hope I did luck out! Appreciate that feedback I will also do that, probably never going into water again TBH. I'll stick to desert off roading, after my research and videos water it the last thing you want near you engine.

OP
OP
luisegutierrez1
Reaction score
Once all that is completed anything I should look out for or check on the truck? That way I don't cause future damage. Any advice is appreciated

Muchmore

FRF Addict
Reaction score
You can go in water just not so fast! I would just hose everything down, wash it like normal. If you made it this far, more than likely no harm was done.

OP
OP
luisegutierrez1
Reaction score
Thanks for the response! I pray that’s the case but I’m also going to be proactive and change oil & Filter. Check around

CoronaRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Welcome to the place, other than the engine which has been covered, check that the differential vent tubes are still in place, the front dif tube should be located around the master cylinder (the end of the tube with a check valve on it), the rear dif tube goes up into the box reinforcement channels above the dif. Yeah, thats pretty deep water, lol.

2022 Ruth

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I miss the days of sucking in water then fixing it by pulling out the spark plugs and cranking it until you stopped getting sprayed with water, change the oil, and get back at it. Where the tell tale sign of sucking in water was that it was spraying out of your exhaust pipe.

Now getting these trucks wet requires a visit to the dealer and 100 hours of electrical troubleshooting. :)

JR1

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I recently purchased a 2019 Raptor and took it out off-roading for the first time. I decided to go through some water that was about as deep as the top of the stock tires I have. I entered a little to fast and made a decent sized splash, the length of the puddle was maybe less than 50ft. When I got to the other side on high ground the truck had a funny idle for a few minutes but did not turn off. I took off the stock air filter and saw that it was wet, I dried out the filter box and air dried the filter. Returning back to the camp site the truck felt normal and the drive home felt normal as well. I don't feel like I lost power or anything. I plan on changing the oil this week as soon as possible. Anything I should be concerned about? It didn't Hydrolock I believe and the truck feels fine. Worried about what can happen and google hasn't been much help other than stressing me out more lol. Any information or feedback is appreciated thank you.

JR1

Reaction score
Hey guys,

In a somewhat unrelated experience I noticed my 2019 raptor was not shifting properly after I went through the car wash. It turns out it must’ve been some water that got into my fuel system through the fuel cap that has the opening in it so you don’t have to remove it when you’re refuel. I came to this conclusion after I added a product called Heet to my tank and this seems to have fixed the problem. I called the local Ford dealer parts department and they said there are no screw on caps from Ford for my Raptor so I guess I’ll have to go after market so this problem is not recur. You may wanna think about such a cap yourself since I was rather shocked that going through the automatic car wash have this effect. I’ve had no luck finding a screw on cap for my raptor that has a retention ring so that I don’t drive off without the cap. Good luck