GEN 2 Slow speed rear ended, damage unknown

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

goblues38

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Why is your truck in park while waiting for a light? Allowing the weight of the vehicle to be held by Park without any brake is very bad idea. The proper use of Park is to first engage the Parking Brake and then put the gear selector into Park. Allowing the weight of the vehicle to rest on the Park "gear" is a very good way to damage the transmission.

This is just wrong.

Always put it in park for an auto, and 1st gear for manual. Let the car settle before you put the parking brake on.

#1. In an automatic transmission, when you place it in park, a pin is what actually stops any forward or backward movement. No gears what so ever are engaged. In this scenario. The parking brake is there as a fail safe encase the pin breaks.

#2. In a manual transmission, you let the clutch out and engage the gears to make sure the motor is holding the car when the engine is off. Here, yes the gear is doing the engaged, but the parking brake here is doing more of the work. Many cars have a low enough compression that a car parked on a hill can creep because the engine wont hold it.

In either case, if you put the parking brake on before you put it in park, or 1st gear with the car off, you run the risk of the car rolling away if the brake fails. There will be built in slack in the drive line and could cause the pin to break in an auto, or to pop out of gear in a manual.

OP
OP
ddpt

ddpt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The slope is very gradual and when taking it out of park into gear, I notice no load on the D-Tent Pinion. In contrast, my driveway has a greater slope and when I put the vehicle in park, I engage the parking brake first, let it roll forward until the parking brake has stopped forward motion, then place the vehicle in park.

PlainJane

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have no first hand knowledge of my 2019 moving when in park as I never paid that much attention. I normally apply the brake, put it park and then apply the electric parking brake before I release my foot. I have seen cars pushed and dragged while in park, and they skid the rear wheels.

Its likely that your rear wheels slid when you were hit. Hopefully the car raised the rear of your truck enough that you did not hear them slide.

The rear trailer hitch for the Raptor includes the cross member at the rear of the frame.
Not sure if the bumper bolts to the frame, the trailer hitch cross member or both. I would be surprised if the frame is "bent" more than a slight tweek at the mounting points. Usually a bend is noticeable by the gap between the box and the cab.

Checking the transmission for metal is a good idea. I am not sure I would have said anything because it might interfere with the factory warranty, but that ship has sailed.

deadlysilent

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When you’re sitting a red light keep your vehicle in drive with your foot on the brake. In the event someone or something comes down the hill behind you out of control, sleeping or something (hopefully you’re checking your review mirror as well). You can “attempt” to react or get out of the way. If sitting in park on a roadway, you’re a sitting duck. Don’t be lazy, keep your foot on the brake pedal for the measly minute or two... heck even three, then drive away.

EricM

FRF Addict
Reaction score
This is just wrong.

Always put it in park for an auto, and 1st gear for manual. Let the car settle before you put the parking brake on.

#1. In an automatic transmission, when you place it in park, a pin is what actually stops any forward or backward movement. No gears what so ever are engaged. In this scenario. The parking brake is there as a fail safe encase the pin breaks.

#2. In a manual transmission, you let the clutch out and engage the gears to make sure the motor is holding the car when the engine is off. Here, yes the gear is doing the engaged, but the parking brake here is doing more of the work. Many cars have a low enough compression that a car parked on a hill can creep because the engine wont hold it.

In either case, if you put the parking brake on before you put it in park, or 1st gear with the car off, you run the risk of the car rolling away if the brake fails. There will be built in slack in the drive line and could cause the pin to break in an auto, or to pop out of gear in a manual.

I cannot stand the horrible clunk when an auto comes out of gear when on a hill. I've done the e-bake takes the weight, then put it into park for 30+ years now on automatics. Comes out of park nice and easy with no noises. I know the clunk won't damage anything, but I still hate it.

There's a zero percent chance of the "ebrake fails and the now barely moving vehicle then snaps the parking pawl" thing happening- that scenario is no different at all then how most people park on a hill. They jam it in park with the brakes on and then fully release the brakes and it bounces back and forth on the pawl. A parking pawl is tough as hell- I've never heard of one breaking, ever. It's an extremely high liability part for the auto maker.

I do not park a manual that way though. I put all the weight on on the trans, then pull the brake. I agree with you on the chance of it popping out of gear if it can roll.

SilverBolt

Hired Gun
Reaction score
What the **** is this nonsense. OF COURSE IT IS FINE TO PUT YOUR TRUCK IN PARK ON A SLOPE. Does this need to be said?
Nonsense? Have you ever been inside an automatic transmission? Ever wonder when parked on a hill with the weight of the vehicle on the park mechanism that sometimes it is more difficult to select reverse or drive? By setting the parking brake before putting the transmission into park puts the load on the brake rather than the trans.

Last edited:

Daniel Henley

Reaction score
What the **** is this nonsense. OF COURSE IT IS FINE TO PUT YOUR TRUCK IN PARK ON A SLOPE. Does this need to be said?
The very purpose of your "Parking Brake" (Yep, that's what its called) is for parking on a slope as a stop gap in case your transmission does not hold. I doubt you will find any owners manual or factory recommendation that indicates you should not use your parking brake on a slope...even an SVT with heavier duty components.

I'm pretty sure that's what the person you were getting irritated with was talking about. Either that or questioning putting your truck in park while waiting on a light.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

heffneil

Reaction score
I disagree. The argument really is when to engage the parking brake. Is it BEFORE putting the transmission in park or after? That is what the argument is. I think almost everyone agrees using it is wise although admittedly in Flat Florida I never use it.

goblues38

FRF Addict
Reaction score
The argument really is when to engage the parking brake. Is it BEFORE putting the transmission in park or after? That is what the argument is. .

Well...if you disagree with me, you are a racist!! I am going to send ANTIFA to your neighborhood to protest, and hit you with clubs and liquid cement.

After all. that is the established way you disagree with people according to CNN.