GEN 2 Slow speed rear ended, damage unknown

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ddpt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not the best start to my Monday, but while I had the 2019 Raptor in park at a light waiting for a left turn (downward slope), car behind me takes his foot off the brake pedal as he reaches over to grab something on the passenger side, and car rolls forward and impacts the rear.

The extent of the damage is TBD, but what concerns me more is the damage that may have been caused to the transmission as the vehicle was in park and when bumped, it moved forward.

This intersection is one that I go through every day as it is right around the corner from my work.

When I place the vehicle in park, it rolls forward until the gear stops any forward motion. I'm thinking after it gets bumped and gets forced forward, something must have given and I think that something is in the transmission.

Any ideas from those gen2 Raptor experts out there?

The hitch receiver is bent downwards as is the bumper so I know the brackets that support these parts were damaged to some extent.

Sent from my SM-N960U1 using Tapatalk

Nibbl3s

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was rear ended at 20 mph in my Porsche on the freeway. Transmission was fine. Front and back were not

pierceography

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's a bummer, man.... Especially on an almost brand new truck. Though I'm glad it sounds like the (bumper) damage was minimal. Hopefully you can get it fixed without having to go through insurance.

I'm no transmission expert, but I doubt that would cause any damage. Whenever I park the Rap in my garage, I have to get the front bumper within 1-2" of the wall to have enough space to slide myself past the rear bumper with the garage door closed. My garage is on a very slight down slope towards the door (to let water run away from the house), so when I put the truck in park, it almost always rolls back an inch or two (which makes for a VERY close proximity to the wall, having to factor in the parking "slip").

Perhaps it's just your perception, and something that's always been there is just more noticeable now. At least, I hope that's the case.

Question out of curiosity: Why did you have the truck in park while on the road?

OP
OP
ddpt

ddpt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's a bummer, man.... Especially on an almost brand new truck. Though I'm glad it sounds like the (bumper) damage was minimal. Hopefully you can get it fixed without having to go through insurance.

I'm no transmission expert, but I doubt that would cause any damage. Whenever I park the Rap in my garage, I have to get the front bumper within 1-2" of the wall to have enough space to slide myself past the rear bumper with the garage door closed. My garage is on a very slight down slope towards the door (to let water run away from the house), so when I put the truck in park, it almost always rolls back an inch or two (which makes for a VERY close proximity to the wall, having to factor in the parking "slip").

Perhaps it's just your perception, and something that's always been there is just more noticeable now. At least, I hope that's the case.

Question out of curiosity: Why did you have the truck in park while on the road?
Thanks. Actually what I was trying to say is the freeplay that exist in the transmission (which is normal), had already rolled the truck to the point where the gear stops forward motion.

So with the truck in park where there is no more freeplay because the truck had already moved forward to where the weight of the truck is leaning on the locked gear, when it was hit, the truck moved forward and I'm thinking since it was already resting on the locked gear, something had to give to allow it to roll forward even if it did by inches.

pierceography

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks. Actually what I was trying to say is the freeplay that exist in the transmission (which is normal), had already rolled the truck to the point where the gear stops forward motion.

So with the truck in park where there is no more freeplay because the truck had already moved forward to where the weight of the truck is leaning on the locked gear, when it was hit, the truck moved forward and I'm thinking since it was already resting on the locked gear, something had to give to allow it to roll forward even if it did by inches.

Have you noticed any symptoms that would lead you to believe there's transmission damage?

OP
OP
ddpt

ddpt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Have you noticed any symptoms that would lead you to believe there's transmission damage?
Well, I did notice a different sound when the vehicle first starts, but not sure what it is. It only lasts for a millisecond.

I am taking it to a local Ford that has a collision shop in house. They have recommended I drive it a bit and then they will drain some of the transmission fluid to check for any metal. If metal is present, then more exploratory steps which suggest damage.

pierceography

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Could just be your heightened sense of awareness now. I'd be surprised if the transmission was damaged.

But getting a professional opinion when you take the truck in is your best bet. Good luck, and keep us updated.

OP
OP
ddpt

ddpt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Could just be your heightened sense of awareness now. I'd be surprised if the transmission was damaged.

But getting a professional opinion when you take the truck in is your best bet. Good luck, and keep us updated.
I like your positive thinking and thanks again

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
in an impact like that the tires give way far, far sooner than hard parts.

GCATX

King Dingaling
Reaction score
You regularly put the truck in park waiting to turn left at the same intersection?

Sucks you go hit though. I hope the other guy had insurance. How does your neck feel?