shop scare for 2nd perch

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

PJF

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Locally there is only one place that does anything with 4x4. They have basically no experience in SVT shocks. They recommended using a leveling kit. I feel they suggested that because they dont know how to adjust for 2nd perch (just my opinion). Does anybody know of anybody around Jackson, MS that can adjust to 2nd perch instead of me using a leveling kit? From what all I have read on here regarding leveling kits scares me to use them.

Rookie

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Do it yourself. Was gonna do mine tonight and then realized my socket set isn't big enough. Oops

Jordan@Apollo-Optics

aka <b><font color='darkorange'>LSUstang05</font><
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Go to any shop that removes shocks and ask them if they can just remove the shocks. Then you can do the 30 second modification at their shop, hand the shocks back and have them remount them.

banman12

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Go to any shop that removes shocks and ask them if they can just remove the shocks. Then you can do the 30 second modification at their shop, hand the shocks back and have them remount them.

It's not THAT easy. Even with the shocks removed, the spring still has to be compressed. And if your removing them off the truck I would recommened using a wall compressor. Definitely not a 30 second job. If your going to go that route, I would just compress the springs on the truck with rented compressors from the local auto store.

Jordan@Apollo-Optics

aka <b><font color='darkorange'>LSUstang05</font><
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
It's not THAT easy. Even with the shocks removed, the spring still has to be compressed. And if your removing them off the truck I would recommened using a wall compressor. Definitely not a 30 second job. If your going to go that route, I would just compress the springs on the truck with rented compressors from the local auto store.

Should've explained it more, but that's what I meant. If they can remove shocks, they have a compressor and then you can do the 30 second modification of moving the Blue SVT metal piece out of the way, moving the snap ring up one notch, placing the SVT metal piece back, and handing the shocks back to the guy that removed the shocks. Once the spring is compressed it's a pretty simple process to finish the job. And sure, a wall compressor is better/safer, but I've done 10+ cars on lowering springs (this is an easier job than replacing the springs on a vehicle) and only ever used the compressors you can rent from autozone and they work fine. Like with any tool, use your head and be smart about using it and you won't get hurt.

banman12

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Should've explained it more, but that's what I meant. If they can remove shocks, they have a compressor and then you can do the 30 second modification of moving the Blue SVT metal piece out of the way, moving the snap ring up one notch, placing the SVT metal piece back, and handing the shocks back to the guy that removed the shocks. Once the spring is compressed it's a pretty simple process to finish the job. And sure, a wall compressor is better/safer, but I've done 10+ cars on lowering springs (this is an easier job than replacing the springs on a vehicle) and only ever used the compressors you can rent from autozone and they work fine. Like with any tool, use your head and be smart about using it and you won't get hurt.

I agree! I have not done mid perch yet, truck is less than a week old, but when I do it I plan on just keeping them on the truck and renting the compressors from Autozone.

Nick@Apollo-Optics

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
I agree! I have not done mid perch yet, truck is less than a week old, but when I do it I plan on just keeping them on the truck and renting the compressors from Autozone.

Hell...you can rent everything from Autozone...compressors, jack, jack stands, and it doesn't cost you a dime. I'll be doing it at my buddy's house (hopefully) because he has air tools :drool2: