GEN 2 Seeking input from the masses re predicament Ive placed myself in

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Kahuna

THE MORE YOU PLAY WITH IT, THE BIGGER IT GETS
Reaction score
Look, it's easy to lose perspective around here with guys spending big dollars to upgrade their stuff because they run off road at 90mph. (Yes, ZK, I'm looking at you :D)

You aren't going to be doing that any time soon. You don't need 37s, you don't need Deavers for an occasional NJ pines run.

Just enjoy the truck. Cali lean is cool. If you break it or start to use the truck off road regularly then upgrade it. Otherwise save your cash.

OP
OP
Vintabu

Vintabu

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Look, it's easy to lose perspective around here with guys spending big dollars to upgrade their stuff because they run off road at 90mph. (Yes, ZK, I'm looking at you :D)

You aren't going to be doing that any time soon. You don't need 37s, you don't need Deavers for an occasional NJ pines run.

Just enjoy the truck. Cali lean is cool. If you break it or start to use the truck off road regularly then upgrade it. Otherwise save your cash.

Very well put!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

zombiekiller

OG BooBooRunner
Reaction score
Yeah so just fill you in, I previously had no idea what a CV boot even was....

When I measured the bitch and figured out it was an inch higher in the front I was told this could cause problems w the CV boot. I am not a mechanic nor am I very mechanically inclined.

I don’t know if this is correct or not.

is there the potential for slightly more CV wear and are the factory CV boots more brittle than the aftermarket neoprene ones? You betcha!

Do you need to actually worry about CV boots with a collar lift? No in my opinion.

The CV, in this case, is the joint at the end of the out axle shaft that facilitates the axle angle changes where the axle shaft meets the spindle when the entire assembly is articulating. The CV and boot are in the red circled area in the pic.

pL85sHi.jpg

Unless you are seeing grease all over the inside of the upright, or you are hearing or feeling lots of loose behavior , metal on metal, etc when in 4wd, I wouldnt worry about it.

The aftermarket boots are tougher and a different material, with extra area for securing the boot to the CV.

You need to remove the entire axle shaft assembly to change the boot. Per ford, the entire axle assembly is the service part and they do not sell the inner, outer, or CV separately.

I honestly wouldn't be worried about it. ( I am rather mechanically inclined and the thought never crosses my mind.) I plan to order spare axle assemblies for my truck to carry, but only because my front axles are custom and not something I could order from ford.

Hope this helps!

zombiekiller

OG BooBooRunner
Reaction score

You are Spot on, my friend!

And for reference, I HIGHLY doubt that my truck will even fit down Pine barrens trails now. :D It was fun to bring the truck out at stock width and relive my earlier years for a couple hours when I came up for the last run.

OP, if you're looking for something worthwhile to add for pine barrens runs, take a look at ARBs differential breather kits. Bringing all of the breathers up higher will give you an extra level of protection when it is a little soggy out there. :)

Last edited:

Crash33

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's not really you're "CV boot" that you worry about. It's what's inside. Kinda like a ******... you're not worried about the ****** so much as what's inside. CV boot protects the CV joint from dirt and water and whatever, and keeps grease inside so CV spins freely. The CV joint itself, when placed at an extreme angle, and driven on it for long periods, will eat up the joint. Since you describe the front end as sitting high, this may be an issue. Most use shock collars to level the truck, which we have all agreed is safe. You may have exceeded that, therefore jeopardizing the CV joints or maybe tearing a boot. This however shouldn't be much of an issue if you don't use 4WD because the axles don't really spin unless the hubs are locked.

OP
OP
Vintabu

Vintabu

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just an update. After going to the dealership and speaking with the tech who really couldn’t give me a definitive answer either way I called the Ford Performance tech service center hotline.

In speaking with the tech with ford performance he basically stated that an inch of rake in either direction is not enough to effect anything regarding the CV or constant velocity joint of the vehicle. He suggested that if there was binding during steering or visible damage to the area then to lower it. He also advised that he has heard oh hundreds of owners of gen2 raptors with leveling or lift kits and has not heard of any issues caused to the CV boot.

So I’ll leave it alone ... for now.

Moral of the story ... call ford performance if you have a question

Kahuna

THE MORE YOU PLAY WITH IT, THE BIGGER IT GETS
Reaction score
Or just listen to the hundreds of people on here who have aftermarket collars and springs with years of 1st hand experience of zero issues.

:p

nikhsub1

FRF Addict
Reaction score

While a lot of what you say is true, doing deavers completely transforms the rear end of the truck in the best way possible, even for street use. I say do the +3s and enjoy a much more compliant ride. The OEM leafs are so bad and over sprung it's a joke.

OP
OP
Vintabu

Vintabu

Full Access Member
Reaction score
While a lot of what you say is true, doing deavers completely transforms the rear end of the truck in the best way possible, even for street use. I say do the +3s and enjoy a much more compliant ride. The OEM leafs are so bad and over sprung it's a joke.
I hear you brother. I would love to do them so badly it’s just the $