GEN 2 Secondary Shock with Icon kit

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rednose

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Currently I am running stage 4 Icon kit ,I love the kit so far but I want to upgrade my front end and add a Baja kits lower arm with secondary either Icon or king baypass shock wondering if anyone did this before or any other option is welcomed.
Please note : Iam trying to upgrade the front end to match my rear the rear acts so much better.

This is how the truck sits on 37’s right now.

bd1e36ce5ca0f8ee72357bdc9ae8768f.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

zombiekiller

OG BooBooRunner
Reaction score
id stick with icon for the secondary bypass. That way you have a hope of getting some tuning help from them if you get stuck. ( plus I just like things to match).

ADD also makes a lower arm with a secondary bypass mount. You can also get the upper mount for the secondary from them.

OP
OP
Rednose

Rednose

Full Access Member
Reaction score
id stick with icon for the secondary bypass. That way you have a hope of getting some tuning help from them if you get stuck. ( plus I just like things to match).

ADD also makes a lower arm with a secondary bypass mount. You can also get the upper mount for the secondary from them.
First of all hope your good and safe haven’t seen your post lately and got worried.

Second you do make sense in matching the icons yes I will have to speak to Adrian at Icon and see what he thinks about. The only reason Iam sticking to Baja arms is because they are available here.

I was wondering if one one the guys at EXO did this setup since you are an official member that went to Baja on this runs.

On the other hand in terms of off-road performance do you think going RPG or SVC mid travel is a huge upgrade to what I run now?

zombiekiller

OG BooBooRunner
Reaction score
First of all hope your good and safe haven’t seen your post lately and got worried.

Second you do make sense in matching the icons yes I will have to speak to Adrian at Icon and see what he thinks about. The only reason Iam sticking to Baja arms is because they are available here.

I was wondering if one one the guys at EXO did this setup since you are an official member that went to Baja on this runs.

On the other hand in terms of off-road performance do you think going RPG or SVC mid travel is a huge upgrade to what I run now?

hope you are well too!

I'm not aware of any of the Exo crew members running a secondary with an icon kit, but I do know that one of the attendees was going to add a secondary to the front of his roush truck.

As far as mid-travel goes, I think it becomes a matter of what you are trying to accomplish.

Would a mid-travel kit offer such a huge advantage that it would be worth it? I'm not sold that it would.

I think a secondary shock setup on stock width is the right thing to match a "through the bed shock" package.

I think short course links are what "match" a front mid-travel kit.

I think a full-blown back half is what matches the "long travel" kits.

In either regard, I firmly believe that anything beyond a secondary shock ( like you're considering) requires a full cage. It could be debated that what you are considering should have a cage come with it. ( just depends on how good of a driver you are and how fast you intend to go.)

I wouldn't want to daily drive a mid-travel truck or a truck with a full cage for a whole bunch of reasons. ( including maintenance costs.)

OP
OP
Rednose

Rednose

Full Access Member
Reaction score
hope you are well too!

I'm not aware of any of the Exo crew members running a secondary with an icon kit, but I do know that one of the attendees was going to add a secondary to the front of his roush truck.

As far as mid-travel goes, I think it becomes a matter of what you are trying to accomplish.

Would a mid-travel kit offer such a huge advantage that it would be worth it? I'm not sold that it would.

I think a secondary shock setup on stock width is the right thing to match a "through the bed shock" package.

I think short course links are what "match" a front mid-travel kit.

I think a full-blown back half is what matches the "long travel" kits.

In either regard, I firmly believe that anything beyond a secondary shock ( like you're considering) requires a full cage. It could be debated that what you are considering should have a cage come with it. ( just depends on how good of a driver you are and how fast you intend to go.)

I wouldn't want to daily drive a mid-travel truck or a truck with a full cage for a whole bunch of reasons. ( including maintenance costs.)
I am well thanks!!!

Please do let me know if you got any news on the Roush after installing the secondary shocks.
As far as mid travel and what do I want to accomplish I do really new a fast capable truck that I can go fast with.

Does the Icon kit serve the purpose? Yes is does but I always love to push the limits no anything comparing to your runs and terrain. I think the Mid travel kit for me is an over kill specially with the added width for a daily driver and that being said the Added cost was not taken in to consideration vs the extra added travel on 4 corners.

A mid travel not offering a huge advantage is somehow out of my scope. But frankly speaking it will be a better truck with kit. And then a roll cage is required and I wouldn’t want to jump in they league.

Short links nice and I agree it would be a great setup with any front kit. I am not aware of any short link kit for the raptor. I have seen Kibbetech truck with short links and it rips. But everything comes with a price.

I think I will be going ahead with the secondary shock idea and do more research about it. The cage is debatable but because I do drive fast but I also take not to push the truck over the limits for know I think a cage is not required. The way I drive my X3 Can am definitely requires a roll cage but on the other hand I can push the Raptor to they limit the truck won’t take it. But if I do push it or drive it the same way I do drive a prerunner or a UTV then a cage is a must.
Yes you do make sense when it comes to the cage and all the extra Headache with it.
I hope the secondary shock works fine and I will keep you posted once I order and install everything.
Thanks for your input.

zombiekiller

OG BooBooRunner
Reaction score
I am well thanks!!!

Please do let me know if you got any news on the Roush after installing the secondary shocks.
As far as mid travel and what do I want to accomplish I do really new a fast capable truck that I can go fast with.

Does the Icon kit serve the purpose? Yes is does but I always love to push the limits no anything comparing to your runs and terrain. I think the Mid travel kit for me is an over kill specially with the added width for a daily driver and that being said the Added cost was not taken in to consideration vs the extra added travel on 4 corners.

A mid travel not offering a huge advantage is somehow out of my scope. But frankly speaking it will be a better truck with kit. And then a roll cage is required and I wouldn’t want to jump in they league.

Short links nice and I agree it would be a great setup with any front kit. I am not aware of any short link kit for the raptor. I have seen Kibbetech truck with short links and it rips. But everything comes with a price.

I think I will be going ahead with the secondary shock idea and do more research about it. The cage is debatable but because I do drive fast but I also take not to push the truck over the limits for know I think a cage is not required. The way I drive my X3 Can am definitely requires a roll cage but on the other hand I can push the Raptor to they limit the truck won’t take it. But if I do push it or drive it the same way I do drive a prerunner or a UTV then a cage is a must.
Yes you do make sense when it comes to the cage and all the extra Headache with it.
I hope the secondary shock works fine and I will keep you posted once I order and install everything.
Thanks for your input.

kibbe has done a kit, shaffer's offroad has done a kit and there is for sure a 3rd kit that was scheduled to release at SEMA, but with all of the COVID19 stuff, who knows if that still stands.

all of the short course "kits" require fabrication and fitting.

I think that you'll be plenty happy with the coilover and secondary bypass setup. your truck will most likely cycle somewhere in the 15" range on the front, and somewhere in the 16-17" range in the rear. From the maintenance perspective, you should have longer intervals for front shock rebuild than anyone running a coilover only, as you'll have a LOT more fluid volume and valving than what you have now, which in turn should make the coilover have to do less work.

I'd recommend starting with the coilover on Full soft and the bypass set to half of whatever it has available, then adjust from there. I'd probably opt to leave the coilover on full open until you run out of adjustment on the bypass.

OP
OP
Rednose

Rednose

Full Access Member
Reaction score
kibbe has done a kit, shaffer's offroad has done a kit and there is for sure a 3rd kit that was scheduled to release at SEMA, but with all of the COVID19 stuff, who knows if that still stands.

all of the short course "kits" require fabrication and fitting.

I think that you'll be plenty happy with the coilover and secondary bypass setup. your truck will most likely cycle somewhere in the 15" range on the front, and somewhere in the 16-17" range in the rear. From the maintenance perspective, you should have longer intervals for front shock rebuild than anyone running a coilover only, as you'll have a LOT more fluid volume and valving than what you have now, which in turn should make the coilover have to do less work.

I'd recommend starting with the coilover on Full soft and the bypass set to half of whatever it has available, then adjust from there. I'd probably opt to leave the coilover on full open until you run out of adjustment on the bypass.
Nice to know about these kits and yes COVID 19 will have an impact of the release and sale of these kits but staying away from fabrication is what I have in mind.

Just to clarify I might got lost somewhere here 16 to 17 inch of travel in the rear are we talking about shocks through the bed?

After this conversation and having a good night sleep I will be sending Icon with my plan and will see what will they say.

Reaction score
Following!

I too run a Stage 4 Icon setup on my 2018 SCREW and as much as I have enjoyed the setup, I have been researching how I could push the system even further. Here’s the feedback I have received so far:

I started my research with Scott at IVD and he explained to me that they currently do not build/offer a secondary bypass shock for the Gen 2 Raptors. Apparently, unlike the Gen 1 which they sell a secondary bypass shock for, they didn’t feel it was necessary for the Gen 2, hence why they never created it. In their opinion, adding a secondary shock to the front would require through the bed shocks and a “cage.” He asked me to call SDHQ to get a secondary opinion on running the Gen 1 IVD secondary bypass shock on the Gen 2 and SDHQ explained to me that it wouldn’t fit and it’s not tuned for a Gen 2. I could however run a Fox or King shock.

In short, I got the impression that Icon was not going to support my idea of running a secondary bypass shock of theirs on the front end of my truck. SDHQ was not a fan either. Since then, I have been on the fence of swapping out my front end for an SVC midtravel kit.

Keep us posted what IVD tells you!

zombiekiller

OG BooBooRunner
Reaction score
Nice to know about these kits and yes COVID 19 will have an impact of the release and sale of these kits but staying away from fabrication is what I have in mind.

Just to clarify I might got lost somewhere here 16 to 17 inch of travel in the rear are we talking about shocks through the bed?

After this conversation and having a good night sleep I will be sending Icon with my plan and will see what will they say.

With the RXTs. because of the way they mount, they actually improve the shock geometry and allow for additional travel.

Gen2s can cycle up to about 20-21" ( full droop to full bump) when the shock mounts are set up right (through bed) with factory length shackles when the SVC adjustable bump kit is used and set to the highest position. ( I couldnt tell you if 16" stroke shocks will get you there. I run 18" stroke 4.0s and the svc bump kit. My truck measures out to 21" of total rear travel from full droop on jackstands to full compressed bump stop.)

If you're using the Icon bump kit, it doesn't allow for quite as much up travel, so you won't pull quite as much up travel.

The gen2 frame geometry is such that it doesn't make a whole lot of sense to go spring under unless you REALLY need the extra 1-1.5" of travel and are ready for all of the headaches that come with it.

If and when the rear suspension on my truck needs to be replaced, I'll strongly consider going to the short course style, 3 link that shaffer's offroad does. I've seen how well it works on a gen 1, and how tough it is.

zombiekiller

OG BooBooRunner
Reaction score
Following!

I too run a Stage 4 Icon setup on my 2018 SCREW and as much as I have enjoyed the setup, I have been researching how I could push the system even further. Here’s the feedback I have received so far:

I started my research with Scott at IVD and he explained to me that they currently do not build/offer a secondary bypass shock for the Gen 2 Raptors. Apparently, unlike the Gen 1 which they sell a secondary bypass shock for, they didn’t feel it was necessary for the Gen 2, hence why they never created it. In their opinion, adding a secondary shock to the front would require through the bed shocks and a “cage.” He asked me to call SDHQ to get a secondary opinion on running the Gen 1 IVD secondary bypass shock on the Gen 2 and SDHQ explained to me that it wouldn’t fit and it’s not tuned for a Gen 2. I could however run a Fox or King shock.

In short, I got the impression that Icon was not going to support my idea of running a secondary bypass shock of theirs on the front end of my truck. SDHQ was not a fan either. Since then, I have been on the fence of swapping out my front end for an SVC mid-travel kit.

Keep us posted what IVD tells you!

From the icon perspective, They believe that if you get to the point that you want or need a secondary bypass up front, the rear should be shock through bed with a bypass rack so the front and rear suspensions are "matched", which is spot on to what I've come to learn. The Gen1 version that IVD sells could be re-valved and tuned to work on a gen2, as long as the stroke length is appropriate for the travel.

I also agree with them that if you do this, the truck is now capable enough that it really should have a Full cage. This is no different than how I feel about a mid-travel kit. The truck becomes capable of being put in a situation where the factory safety provisions are not sufficient to save your life.

Ford did not design the Raptor's safety systems to withstand high speed, offroad rollovers. I would not want to cartwheel a raptor through whoops at 40-50mph without a cage. It is completely possible to make this happen. It doesn't matter how good of a driver that you are, it can and most likely WILL happen.

to put it plainly, I'm actually a bit scared to truly push my truck to its capabilities for fear of crashing the truck and not having the safety setup that I should have. As soon as I have a few things finished on my truck, it is going to HM Racing Design to be caged.

The challenge becomes finding a qualified, competent, willing fabricator that will fabricate and install the cage for you. Due to the aluminum cab, this is a far more complicated ask than with a gen 1.

so the net of it is, I think IVD and I are saying the same thing, the difference being that they could potentially have the liability that comes with being the suspension manufacturer, so their answer has to be worded a bit differently.

CN: IVD says that a shock upgrade with factory mounting points is the farthest that they design for because they feel that anything more requires a cage to be safe. ( and cages arent safe on the street in a daily driver, so they avoid the complex situation altogether by not making a product. )