School me on overland racks w/ a Bed-Cover

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

adllewis42

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, my $2k Retrax Pro already leaks rain like crazy so adding a rack underneath the rail would hardly make it worse.
Lesson - don't have some shoddy shop employing High School drop-outs and ex-cons that are probably illiterate anyways install your expensive lid.

I loved my Retrax/Voodoo combo while I had it but, living in the PNW, I ran into the same thing. No matter what I did, an unacceptable amount of water (and dust) would get in where the retrax was resting on those no-drill clips. It's a great design and it was hella sturdy but just not for me at the end of the day.

adllewis42

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a BakFlip and can’t get the clips to fit in between the rails and the bed to get this to work like you did. If you would be so kind of possible sharing pics of how you got it to work?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You just have to put the "clips" on, underneath the tonneau, and then mount the rest of the rack to it. Problem with something like the Backflip is that this rack will technically work with it BUT you won't be able to open it. That's why I went with the Retrax when I had it.

MarkG

Reaction score
You just have to put the "clips" on, underneath the tonneau, and then mount the rest of the rack to it. Problem with something like the Backflip is that this rack will technically work with it BUT you won't be able to open it. That's why I went with the Retrax when I had it.
I’ll give that another shot, thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PatagoniaDan

Reaction score
Not sure if you saw the other thread, but a new option if you are going for an Overland setup is the RSI Modular Smart Cap. That's probably the only cap I'd consider based upon looks and functionality.

adllewis42

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not sure if you saw the other thread, but a new option if you are going for an Overland setup is the RSI Modular Smart Cap. That's probably the only cap I'd consider based upon looks and functionality.

I'd need to see it in person. Unless it contours the gate of these trucks, I'd bet it binds when you try and open it. It's the same thing that happens with RLD's cap. It looks nice but it makes you have to open both the cap and tailgate at the same time (and close them at the same time). Pretty annoying. For $4k, I expect to not be inconvenienced with that type of thing.

PatagoniaDan

Reaction score
I'd need to see it in person. Unless it contours the gate of these trucks, I'd bet it binds when you try and open it. It's the same thing that happens with RLD's cap. It looks nice but it makes you have to open both the cap and tailgate at the same time (and close them at the same time). Pretty annoying. For $4k, I expect to not be inconvenienced with that type of thing.

That makes a lot of sense. Do you mean like in this pic? I'd like to be able to see one in person but what I am really liking is the modular setup where I can take it off easily because most of the time I don't need a cap.

0S5A7428_L5k-PLAY.jpg

adllewis42

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That makes a lot of sense. Do you mean like in this pic? I'd like to be able to see one in person but what I am really liking is the modular setup where I can take it off easily because most of the time I don't need a cap.

0S5A7428_L5k-PLAY.jpg

Yeah - That's not on an F150. The RLD cap that I saw in person required you to use both hands to open it because you HAD to open the top and bottom at the same time. Same thing with closing it. It's because of the shape of the tailgate and unless the cap does something to accommodate that, you're going to run into those issues.

PatagoniaDan

Reaction score
Yeah - That's not on an F150. The RLD cap that I saw in person required you to use both hands to open it because you HAD to open the top and bottom at the same time. Same thing with closing it. It's because of the shape of the tailgate and unless the cap does something to accommodate that, you're going to run into those issues.

Looking now for the F-150 - but this video shows how it works on a Ranger. Start at 0:39 for the tailgate portion.