School me on overland racks w/ a Bed-Cover

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

90yota

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Those things are completely unnecessary, and if you understand how a gusset is designed, you will know that they accomplish nothing.
So aluminum beds dont flex? Even with 250lbs on top of a bedrail with 4 small points of contact stressing the rear of the bedside? I beg to differ. But you're the fabricator/engineer. I'm trying to comprehend the logic that they accomplish nothing.

KB Voodoo Fabrications

Reaction score
So aluminum beds dont flex? Even with 250lbs on top of a bedrail with 4 small points of contact stressing the rear of the bedside? I beg to differ. But you're the fabricator/engineer. I'm trying to comprehend the logic that they accomplish nothing.

#1 You want the bed to flex a little.
#2 The rack is a rigid structure and will be a more effective stiffener than those stiffeners.

colemizak

Reaction score
I can on/off my Tepui Kukenam 3 in a minute or less.

I'm running the XR version (as many others have stated, the XR rails make life much easier), and then mounted to that I run 3 Rhino Rack RLT600 mounting feet and 3 71" Rhino Rack HD bars.

The RLT600s are the quick release for t slot mounting (XR rails). Their dynamic load capacity is 104.5lbs per bar on road and they give them 69lbs of rated load each "off road". I could get away with running 2 (I just carry my tent with a sleeping bag in it at maybe 135lbs total), but I like 3 to be safe. This set up gives me a 209lbs total "off road" rating and about 315 of dynamic "on road".

http://www.rhinorack.com/en-us/prod...ts/cap-topper-legs/quick-mount-leg-x4-_rlt600

I've paired them with 3 of their 71" HD square bars and haven't had any issues, solid as a rock. Granted, I haven't jumped the truck with the tent and gear.

For your point of easy "on and off", you simply squeeze the release tabes on each mounting roof and they come out with little effort. I have a Thule cargo box hoist mounted in my garage that makes it easy for 1 person to do. Want to go camping, back in and lower the tent down (I leave the bars mounted to the tent base), and click it into place. Come home, un-click the bars from the feet and hoist it up.

https://www.rei.com/product/103195/...ViPhkCh1G1QJ_EAQYAiABEgL69_D_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

With this set up, you don't get the ability to mount say Max Trax and a Hi-Lift jack to the sides of the rack, but it's easy as can be for a simple on/off set up and I just storage all of my gear locked away under the tonneau.

Maddog77

Reaction score
I have the Yakima HD with crossbars and the Yakima lockNload "K" platform attached. I love the setup and it maintains the full functionality of the Retrax XR. I don't usually leave the RTT attached but I have a Rhino Dome awning on the side for beach days, camping, or the range. The setup also allows me to tie in my dogs and take them for rides without worries of them jumping out.
View attachment 140877
Well, my $2k Retrax Pro already leaks rain like crazy so adding a rack underneath the rail would hardly make it worse.
Lesson - don't have some shoddy shop employing High School drop-outs and ex-cons that are probably illiterate anyways install your expensive lid.
Same problem. I think they even scratched my truck but can’t prove it! Did you ever fix the leaks? I’m leaning toward upgrading to Yakima HD racks myself. Got excited and bought rhino racks but they just won’t cut it for the RTT options I’m considering and everything else I want to do. It’s just so overwhelming, I want it all!!!

Maddog77

Reaction score
I can on/off my Tepui Kukenam 3 in a minute or less.

I'm running the XR version (as many others have stated, the XR rails make life much easier), and then mounted to that I run 3 Rhino Rack RLT600 mounting feet and 3 71" Rhino Rack HD bars.

The RLT600s are the quick release for t slot mounting (XR rails). Their dynamic load capacity is 104.5lbs per bar on road and they give them 69lbs of rated load each "off road". I could get away with running 2 (I just carry my tent with a sleeping bag in it at maybe 135lbs total), but I like 3 to be safe. This set up gives me a 209lbs total "off road" rating and about 315 of dynamic "on road".

http://www.rhinorack.com/en-us/prod...ts/cap-topper-legs/quick-mount-leg-x4-_rlt600

I've paired them with 3 of their 71" HD square bars and haven't had any issues, solid as a rock. Granted, I haven't jumped the truck with the tent and gear.

For your point of easy "on and off", you simply squeeze the release tabes on each mounting roof and they come out with little effort. I have a Thule cargo box hoist mounted in my garage that makes it easy for 1 person to do. Want to go camping, back in and lower the tent down (I leave the bars mounted to the tent base), and click it into place. Come home, un-click the bars from the feet and hoist it up.

https://www.rei.com/product/103195/...ViPhkCh1G1QJ_EAQYAiABEgL69_D_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

With this set up, you don't get the ability to mount say Max Trax and a Hi-Lift jack to the sides of the rack, but it's easy as can be for a simple on/off set up and I just storage all of my gear locked away under the tonneau.
Any chance you got a picture of that setup? You got 6 crossbars?

colemizak

Reaction score
Any chance you got a picture of that setup? You got 6 crossbars?

Here is a pic with it raised. It's a 3 crossbar set up, but in theory you could use as many as need be for comfort level. I decided on 3 because it gives me a "rated" off-road dynamic load capacity of 209lbs (tent is about 135lbs).

The mounting feet stay on the truck and the crossbars stay mounted to the tent. It's hoisted up when not in use and just lowers down onto the truck when I want it.

IMG_7670.jpg

pastorwug

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Same problem. I think they even scratched my truck but can’t prove it! Did you ever fix the leaks? I’m leaning toward upgrading to Yakima HD racks myself. Got excited and bought rhino racks but they just won’t cut it for the RTT options I’m considering and everything else I want to do. It’s just so overwhelming, I want it all!!!
Well, I really regret not installing the Retrax Pro myself. No, these High School dropouts that can't even find record of my past invoice only offer the same horrid re-install they botched from the beginning.

The RETRAX company, however, has been stunning in their interest to send me all the weatherstripping the install requires so that I can take the whole thing off and re-install it properly. BTW - at no charge.
Once that arrives I will get it back on correct will (and hopefully) have a water tight top.

It turns out that all the positive feedback for the place I bought and had installed my top were based on window tints, not that easy to do properly, but apparently this RETRAX install was way above their pay-grade.

mmayo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you’ve already got the Retrax PRO MX, you can contact Retrax directly and purchase the XR rails only. You’ll keep the same canister that you have now, just a rail swap. Then you have a much wider array of options for racks and gear. Be glad to go over those options with you if you’d like.

what's the cost for the XR rail replacement?