Best way to have a bed cover and occasionally transport a kayak?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

970rap

Reaction score
I go on family camping trips periodically, which normally fills most/all of the bed up to my Lomax bed cover. I'm now the owner of a kayak, which my family would like to bring on some of these trips. Using space in the bed isn't a reliable option for these trips.

What options do I have for retaining some sort of bed cover but also adding the ability to attach a kayak, presumably through some sort of raised rail system? Further, the raised rails, ideally, should be removable. Bonus points if it's semi-easy to do. I'll only need to use this a few times per year and I don't want to be driving around with them on all the time. And I'd need to be able to open the bed cover while the rail system is on.

I see so many options and products out there but I'm not sure what works with what. I assume nothing will work with my existing Lomax cover, which is ok. Any ideas? Is this even possible? Thanks!

HighwaySentinel

︻デ┳═ー - - - - - - -
Reaction score
I'd hit up the Realtruck folks on here for your specific application. They are very knowledgeable when it comes to covers.

MDJAK

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I asked the same thing a while back. Unfortunately, there's no easy answer, short of as you say raised rails or a rooftop carrier which ain't cheap once you buy the necessary extras for the cross bars. I have 2 12' kayaks and use my enclosed trailer which is definitely overkill, but I only transport them maybe 20 miles each way.

John M BUNMAN

BUNMAN-Adventures, Rescue & Recovery
Reaction score

Nick@Apollo-Optics

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
I have a solution that would work nicely for you. It's a little pricey, but there is a $300 mail-in rebate going on right now.

Truxedo makes their TS Bed Rails and Elevate Rack. The TS Bed Rails give you the ability to have T-slotted rails with virtually any existing bed cover. Then they make the modular height Elevate rack that are adjustable. They can be set low for a overland tent or max height for paddle boards and kayaks.

Here's some pictures for you.

The first pic is the TS rails and how they install.

_Elevate_19Chevy_Silverado_Details_01Rail_h500_q80.jpg

And then here's a picture of the rack installed with a bed cover so you can see how it works.

M_original_HRO_Elevate_21Ford-F150_04Half_h500_q80.jpg

_Elevate_21Ford-F150_Profile_08Ladder-Box_h500_q80.jpg

At this time, I have both the rails and the racks in stock. Retail for the two pieces is $819 and $216, respectively. But I'm happy to put a package together for you with discounted pricing and free shipping. And you're able to collect the additional $300 mail-in rebate from Truxedo after the sale.

Feel free to reach out if you'd like any more information.

-Nick

OP
OP
970rap

970rap

Reaction score
Thanks for all of the responses and Nick's suggestion looks like a good one.

Related question - If I were to attach a kayak rack to these crossbeams, which has its own straps and locking system, do I also need to use bow and stern lines? If so, where would they attach on a setup like this (it's not going to hang over the hood)? Everything I've read says they are just a backup safety precaution but are essentially required.

Nick@Apollo-Optics

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Thanks for all of the responses and Nick's suggestion looks like a good one.

Related question - If I were to attach a kayak rack to these crossbeams, which has its own straps and locking system, do I also need to use bow and stern lines? If so, where would they attach on a setup like this (it's not going to hang over the hood)? Everything I've read says they are just a backup safety precaution but are essentially required.
Trailer hitch for the rear is the usual spot. Or just grab one of the rear tow hooks. For the front, I'd rig a line back to the rack if you won't be able to make it to the hood.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
khunter