A 10 Year Dream!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
Greetings!

Im a new Raptor owner (Used 2018 w 50k miles) and couldn’t be more excited!! I’ve been dreaming about this moment for 10 years and I still feel like I’m dreaming. Picked up my truck several weeks ago and immediately started going through everything. I look out the window every couple hours waiting for someone to take it like I don’t deserve it or something I’m still in shock from what I paid, but we live once and it was very clean and well maintained. Since this is a DD and my new family rig for weekend adventures, I had to make sure everything checked out. First thing I did was jack it up and put it on stands, stripped tires off and started my PMC. Military days die hard.

Right away I noticed some minor things needed replaced / fixed / serviced (Tires, brake pads, battery, sparks, fluid service). All those things are now ordered and will be handled within the next two weeks or so. The big issue is the suspension - I had no idea Fox recommended servicing the shocks after 30-50k!! After buying such an expensive truck and then dropping a couple grand right off the bat on upkeep - I’m now trying to wrap my head around options for a rebuild.

I can’t afford to drop 7k on new Fox 3.0’s and I’m worried about the quality of rebuilds I’m seeing on the forums. Even a rebuild w Deavers and Eibachs would be costly and put me out for a couple weeks. Does anyone have some good advice for this scenario? (Daily driving 90% and medium trail running the other 10%. Nothing crazy as I’m more about capability when needed and longevity. I’ll be taking my two boys (5 & 8) and wife for weekend trips through national parks and state parks camping 7 months a year. Loading back with about 200-300lbs and rolling out weekend after weekend. I can afford maybe a couple grand more into it right away but man it’s tough)

Any suggestions would be welcomed and thanks again for any help offered in advance!

HB

K223

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Welcome and congrats! Does the truck not seem to keep its composure or handle well. While that’s the rebuild schedule, if the truck was a street queen and mostly used in the highway. I can’t imagine the shocks may need that rebuild yet. Dave you time and money right now.

Maybe someone can chime in and give you some tests to perform and clues to look for.

Enjoy that truck!

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
Any suggestions would be welcomed and thanks again for any help offered in advance!

OOH, OOH! Pick me! ;-)

Pictures. Or you really bought a prius.
;-)

Don’t change anything yet until you’ve had a chance to drive it as is and see if anything needs to be addressed. You can save up and do a shock rebuild. There are a few places that do it and I’m going to have to defer to some of the more seasoned folks on here as to who those shops might be.

The ’17-’18 trucks ride a little more plush than the live valve shock models.

#MaybeOneLessprius

OP
OP
HoneyBadger420
Reaction score
OOH, OOH! Pick me! ;-)

Pictures. Or you really bought a prius.
;-)

Don’t change anything yet until you’ve had a chance to drive it as is and see if anything needs to be addressed. You can save up and do a shock rebuild. There are a few places that do it and I’m going to have to defer to some of the more seasoned folks on here as to who those shops might be.

The ’17-’18 trucks ride a little more plush than the live valve shock models.

#MaybeOneLessprius
Too funny - Pictures coming soon - Just had surgery two days ago so I won’t be getting out of bed for the next several days to take photos. I really shouldn’t be laughing but that comment was too funny.

OP
OP
HoneyBadger420
Reaction score
Welcome and congrats! Does the truck not seem to keep its composure or handle well. While that’s the rebuild schedule, if the truck was a street queen and mostly used in the highway. I can’t imagine the shocks may need that rebuild yet. Dave you time and money right now.

Maybe someone can chime in and give you some tests to perform and clues to look for.

Enjoy that truck!
Very true and it seems to drive fine regarding suspension and comfort level. My last vehicle was a Trail Boss and it drives better than that (minus the tire balancing issue on the E rated BFG KO2’s - I have some C rated KO2’s in the garage waiting to be installed - should take care of the slight vibration above 35mph)

Turning Blue

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Congratulations on fulfilling your Raptor dream! They are great trucks, and yours should last you a very long time, especially since it sounds like you're all about maintaining your vehicle. Good luck!

AZ Surfer

Reaction score
Congratulations on the new Raptor! I had similar wait for mine as well. Yes provide some pics.... we love seeing everyone's new ride. Join a Raptor club also we are going to here soon.