Help me justify a new tool - CNC Plasma table

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

hingedthinker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My plans for the Rap include a tonneau and an overland style rack, but not for a tent or overland but to hold pelican style gun cases with the top setup for lumber/hauling stuff/gear. I still use my truck as a truck, and for shooting and hunting sports. I have tons of tools, but I haven't been able to sneak a CNC plasma table in yet. I already have 3D printers. They are cool for trinkets, but plastic isn't strong enough for the stuff I want to build. I was looking at some of the products in the market and none of them have the features I'm looking for. The CBI/Prinsu is probably the closest.

Is anyone interested in throwing ideas into this thread as far as product design to the end above? (Hunting and Shooting Sports focused bed rack). Problems to be solved:

• Secure firearms for travel to/from range; from damage and safety
  • Flexibility to support different mounting options for various "stuff" like instructions for bunny on how to use reverse, shovels, jacks, etc.
  • Ease of access and use for shooting/hunting logistics
  • Efficient use of space and secured storage for portable shooting table, steel targets, ammo cans, et cetera
  • Lots of other potential shooting/hunting/fishing applications. Skinning lift/winch? (elk are really heavy) Tree stand holders... the list goes on
If you are or not, if I do a decent job of building a diy kit out I may be able to justify the tool with the wife if I sell a handful of custom parts for the Rap. I'll have to see about what the forum owners want, but that can come later. I'm not interested in a business, only subsidizing the tool. I already own REI, a media company, and government consulting/contracting business, don't need another time sink. I need something fun that isn't about making money.

Thoughts?

OP
OP
H

hingedthinker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The foundation of the product design will start with something like this. It has to accommodate rolling tonneau covers. Credit to CBI/Prinsu for the image.
1680892316027.png

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
Secure firearms for travel to/from range; from damage and safety
You do know how comically easy the Jen Juan, Jen Too and at least some Jen Tres are to break into, right?

We’re talking multi-tool and 3-5 seconds and they’re in the cab.

I think Bunnery Sgt is sporting the go to bed cover for security, flexibility etc. The issue I see is it sounds like you want more bed flexibility? I do know one of the major break in opportunities for the bed covers is the latch mechanism on some of them are very, very easy to hook with a coat hanger, so for any manner of cover, make sure you address that.

OP
OP
H

hingedthinker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
no. the most important thing to make with a cnc are cans for guns. granted all my guns sank during that boating accident, but a couple cans would be nice as a momento for the guns i used to own
that’s a lot of stamps and needs a lathe not a cnc plasma. Also, tragically all of my firearms were lost in a freak tornado shark storm.