RTT and Rack Shopping - Feeling Overwhelmed

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Lilla Kharn

Namaste
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Finally have a little time to respond. I live out of my truck and have camped extensively in all types of weather. Hot, snow, rain, etc. I am currently on my second RTT and will be sticking with this one for awhile.

First, I have had two tents over the roofline with my current tent being a 12 inch wall above the roof. Noise is negligible and you get used to it. If I turn everything down I can hear it but it’s no big deal. MPG….dunno. I’m carrying a lot of weight and my average is probably around the 14 mark. I’m not too upset with it. It might have been 15 with the tent off. It didn’t make too much of a real world difference. I also drive 65 everywhere I go on paved roads. I save the high speed stuff for off road.

There are a few questions you need to ask yourself. What is setup and take down time worth to you? My first tent (James Baroud) would have been alright for maybe three days a week but tucking in the fabric got old. Especially in sub zero temperatures. Coupled with the low ceiling and lack of large rain fly (No windows open during storms), it wasn’t a great setup.

Is light weight worth it to you? How light weight? Every pound you loose is a feature you’re not getting. The tent I’m running now is heavy. Really heavy. 220 lbs. But I love it. I get the best of all the worlds as far as I know and it’s completely worth the sacrifice to me. To others, it’s not.

I would actually look at tents and racks last. Figure out what equipment you’re carrying, how you’re going to carry it, and then decide on the rack based on equipment. Then, look at use cases for the tent. If you get a tent that overhangs one side of the truck, you can’t set it up in a parking lot or parking space. I love to go to the beach in my truck and sit in the tent overlooking the ocean. I couldn’t do that in some places if my tent was lower or if it overhung one of the sides. Want to attach a shower cube or awning? That affects which tent and rack too.

The last thing I’ll mention here is weight on the bed rails. The aluminum bed on some raptors has torn due to the weight shifting. If you’re not pounding the truck off road and go with a lightweight setup, you should be fine. That being said, I am personally in talks to reinforce my rack with a frame based chase rack I am going to have fabricated. It depends on what you do, how you drive, and how you want to make sure the truck won’t be hurt down the road.

If you have any questions, this is something I’ve done many many many hours of research on. Good luck!

Speedemon

Reaction score
Just completed my set up. RSI canopy ( bed topper, made from stainless steel) , Frontrunner rack with frontrunner slimline rack, frontrunner QR tent mounts. Roofnest Condor XL with annex. Had to modify the QR mounts to work with Condor. Also put hoist in garage to remove tent

Attachments

• 20210513_181316.jpeg
    20210513_181316.jpeg
    64.4 KB · Views: 33
  • 20210516_140539.jpeg
    20210516_140539.jpeg
    158.3 KB · Views: 31
  • 20210516_140554.jpeg
    20210516_140554.jpeg
    164.6 KB · Views: 31
  • 20210516_140659.jpeg
    20210516_140659.jpeg
    101.4 KB · Views: 32
  • 20210516_224229.jpeg
    20210516_224229.jpeg
    99.8 KB · Views: 37
Last edited:

Speedemon

Reaction score
With or with out Raptor?
Trouble is nothing is in stock. I ordered all of this in Feb.

RSI cap with security screen - 3200

Frontrunner Rack and QR tent mounts -1200

Condor xl and annex - 3800

Hoist - 150

So about- 8300

I did not include the Joolca hot water shower system in the price. Still waiting for it but as we all know cleanliness is next to godliness. Really cool item. I do not plan to stay at KOA.

RSI cap is Stainless steel and support 770 lbs static. Creates plenty of DRY storage that will be secure from weather and thiefs. I also have a bed rug installed.

Frontrunner Rack and QR tent mounts are nice. Trouble is the rack and tent have approx. same hole pattern to mount, so I added SS plates to hold it. Works great.

Condor xl opens and closes easily. I have not installed the Annex room yet, it will be nice to get out of the rain or if you want shade.

First road test, you can feel the weight a little ,but no noise.

Speedemon

Reaction score
Yep me too. But with a RV on Sprinter chassis being 75g to 160g and it will not go where I plan to go this summer it is actually not bad. I have 3 trips that are 4 weeks each this summer and fall, texas to montana, the raptor will take me to where I want to go. Self contained and little or no people, priceless. All this will come off and go in the basement come winter.

Donovan

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Yep me too. But with a RV on Sprinter chassis being 75g to 160g and it will not go where I plan to go this summer it is actually not bad. I have 3 trips that are 4 weeks each this summer and fall, texas to montana, the raptor will take me to where I want to go. Self contained and little or no people, priceless. All this will come off and go in the basement come winter.

And freedom.