Rough ride & constant ride height recalibration woes

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Raptorbert

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It should eventually clear itself as long as they did the software update, some DTCs take more key cycles/drive cycles than others.
Actually to add to it, I do have a Canadian raptor that was imported by an importer and bought from a dealer. Could whatever they doing with “importing” it cause this dtc?

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Actually to add to it, I do have a Canadian raptor that was imported by an importer and bought from a dealer. Could whatever they doing with “importing” it cause this dtc?
I don’t believe so, but I suppose it is possible that a Canadian market Raptor could have a different calibration.

Raptorbert

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don’t believe so, but I suppose it is possible that a Canadian market Raptor could have a different calibration.
I still had the DTC yesterday which is a week and a few hundred miles later. It was suggested maybe to try resetting Vdm module. I did that and the DTC went away after clearing it. I haven’t checked again (I’m assuming it came back since) but truck seems fine. Is it worth another trip to the dealer if it’s still hanging there? I did read your post about b162f possibly causing shocks to go full stiff but I’m unsure if I have that or not. Hard to tell on daily driving trips.

Does that B162F circuit open DTC, even after service fixed it but still being present mess with the VDM always? Or is it just a possibility?

Last edited:

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I still had the DTC yesterday which is a week and a few hundred miles later. It was suggested maybe to try resetting Vdm module. I did that and the DTC went away after clearing it. I haven’t checked again (I’m assuming it came back since) but truck seems fine. Is it worth another trip to the dealer if it’s still hanging there? I did read your post about b162f possibly causing shocks to go full stiff but I’m unsure if I have that or not. Hard to tell on daily driving trips.
If the shocks were defaulting to full stiff it would be very noticeable, so it sounds like you’re fine.
Does that B162F circuit open DTC, even after service fixed it but still being present mess with the VDM always? Or is it just a possibility?
I haven’t done the update to confirm, but if it’s riding well I wouldn’t be concerned with it.

Raptorbert

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If the shocks were defaulting to full stiff it would be very noticeable, so it sounds like you’re fine.

I haven’t done the update to confirm, but if it’s riding well I wouldn’t be concerned with it.
OK thanks for that, the ride seems to be fine and no where near the F550 we drive at work lol. that Liquidspring setup is highly overrated!

OP
OP
tm965

tm965

Full Access Member
Reaction score

I just went to the dealer to get an oil change and set up yet another appointment to figure out what's going on with the suspension. The dampening has been very strange as of late and it seems to be getting worse. When it took it in this morning it was riding a little stiff and reacting strangely to speed bumps and interestingly enough when i got the truck back it was in full stiff. I thought they may had just inflated the tires to a crazy number, but nope. I suspect it probably has something to do with the suspension going to full extension when they put it on the lift. Did a quick ET mode cycle and it calmed the suspension down a bit, but its still off/shuddering over small bumps.

Just hooked up forscan and much to my surprise ZERO DTCs. The b162F code that I always seem to have after the ride begins acting up is not present.

@FordTechOne another recent development I've had is losing the ability to switch drive modes after hustling the truck offroad. When i powered the truck up again after stopping for a bit, the driver modes were inaccessible and the suspension was full stiff. Did a quick ET cycle so i could make the 2 hour drive home bearable, which worked and gave me my drive modes back. When I got home i noticed there was a new code in play U0253--the time it was recorded aligns with when I was offroad.

What is this typically indicative of? Could it explain any of the suspension behavior beyond losing the ability to switch modes? thanks in advance
IMG_9499.jpg

Raptorbert

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just went to the dealer to get an oil change and set up yet another appointment to figure out what's going on with the suspension. The dampening has been very strange as of late and it seems to be getting worse. When it took it in this morning it was riding a little stiff and reacting strangely to speed bumps and interestingly enough when i got the truck back it was in full stiff. I thought they may had just inflated the tires to a crazy number, but nope. I suspect it probably has something to do with the suspension going to full extension when they put it on the lift. Did a quick ET mode cycle and it calmed the suspension down a bit, but its still off/shuddering over small bumps.

Just hooked up forscan and much to my surprise ZERO DTCs. The b162F code that I always seem to have after the ride begins acting up is not present.

@FordTechOne another recent development I've had is losing the ability to switch drive modes after hustling the truck offroad. When i powered the truck up again after stopping for a bit, the driver modes were inaccessible and the suspension was full stiff. Did a quick ET cycle so i could make the 2 hour drive home bearable, which worked and gave me my drive modes back. When I got home i noticed there was a new code in play U0253--the time it was recorded aligns with when I was offroad.

What is this typically indicative of? Could it explain any of the suspension behavior beyond losing the ability to switch modes? thanks in advance
View attachment 425548
ive actually seen this one too

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-09-27 at 12.14.43 PM.png
    Screenshot 2023-09-27 at 12.14.43 PM.png
    412.9 KB · Views: 18
Last edited:

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score

View attachment 425548
U0253 is an erroneous APIM network communication DTC most likely attributable to high network traffic. The APIM will not affect the VDM operation.

Since the ride quality is more subjective, I would try and duplicate the issue where the drive modes cannot be changed. That may lead down a more successful diagnostic path in determining the root cause of both issue, which are very likely connected.

OP
OP
tm965

tm965

Full Access Member
Reaction score
U0253 is an erroneous APIM network communication DTC most likely attributable to high network traffic. The APIM will not affect the VDM operation.

Since the ride quality is more subjective, I would try and duplicate the issue where the drive modes cannot be changed. That may lead down a more successful diagnostic path in determining the root cause of both issue, which are very likely connected.
sounds good--everything gets worse directly after the suspension being fully extended, so i'll try to get the dealer to do a drive pre and post being on the lift next week. thanks

OP
OP
tm965

tm965

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Update: Spoke with a really helpful tech this morning who tested the wiring going to body control module C and found an issue. Taking the truck back next week for him to chase the fault and to manually push all of the updates that my truck has never received over the air. Finally encouraged that my issues may be resolved soon.