Rough ride & constant ride height recalibration woes

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Space Ghost

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a 23 and both exist. Engineering mode releases any preset in the shocks and Neutral is required for accurate setting. If you are using Forscan, there is a menu that pops up during the service procedure that indicated both of these as well. Also, you do not need to pop the lower dash panel and pull the lever to put the truck into N. Before you shut the truck off put the trans in M (manual mode). Then shift to N and then shut the truck off. It will stay in N for you for 30 min. More than enough time. Note: cannot remember if you need to put it in Eng Mode before or after putting in N. The you have it in EM, you will a dash light in the lower right corner saying "ET" engineering test. All that said, FordTechOne has a million time my experience so if you have the Mongoose cable, and are cool paying the $50 bucks for FDRS for 2 days (I highly recommend this as you can update all your modules and such at the same time), go for it.
hm, now i cant remember if i did that or not since i did mine thru forscan too, thanks for the info

OP
OP
tm965

tm965

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a 23 and both exist. Engineering mode releases any preset in the shocks and Neutral is required for accurate setting. If you are using Forscan, there is a menu that pops up during the service procedure that indicated both of these as well. Also, you do not need to pop the lower dash panel and pull the lever to put the truck into N. Before you shut the truck off put the trans in M (manual mode). Then shift to N and then shut the truck off. It will stay in N for you for 30 min. More than enough time. Note: cannot remember if you need to put it in Eng Mode before or after putting in N. The you have it in EM, you will a dash light in the lower right corner saying "ET" engineering test. All that said, FordTechOne has a million time my experience so if you have the Mongoose cable, and are cool paying the $50 bucks for FDRS for 2 days (I highly recommend this as you can update all your modules and such at the same time), go for it
while ive seen the reference for engineering mode i still dont know how to do it/have seen an option for it--pointers?

semaj

Reaction score
This is the info I need as well. You want to make sure you have the latest version of forscan for the Gen 3. There is a step by step directions for recalibration on this site that I am sure you saw, but that only works for the Gen 2’s. I tried it with mine and it wouldn’t work and then I updated my forscan and the recalibration steps are different and the info mentioned here is correct for the Gen 3. I also don’t know how to put it in engineering mode. I didn’t know how to put it in N until I read the info from here, thanks. Just need to know how to put it in engineering mode. Can anyone help with a step by step procedure. It would be so helpful. Thanks.

ToadSmasher2K1

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It would be nice to have Ford add a more easily accessible calibration status in the menu. Maybe add it to the Raptor Status page.

Pretty annoying to plug in forscan every few weeks to make sure it’s correct. I still think my non-live valve Gen 2 had a better ride. Obviously the Gen 3 rear suspension is an improvement, but comparing live valve vs non-live valve I’m not convinced.

Wichadicha

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For ET mode. Truck off, hold OK button on wheel for 5+ seconds, press start stop button once (no foot on brake) but do not start truck all while still holding OK button. As soon as any info message pops up let off and repress OK button to clear it. You should not be in ET mode with Truck off. Next, press brake and start truck. Make sure you are on nice flat, level ground, BLOCK TIRES SO Truck won't roll. With truck in drive, press M (manual trans button). Now you can shift to N and then turn the truck off (it will stay in N for up to 30 min). You are now in N with the truck in ET mode. Proceed with Forscan process as directed.

OP
OP
tm965

tm965

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For ET mode. Truck off, hold OK button on wheel for 5+ seconds, press start stop button once (no foot on brake) but do not start truck all while still holding OK button. As soon as any info message pops up let off and repress OK button to clear it. You should not be in ET mode with Truck off. Next, press brake and start truck. Make sure you are on nice flat, level ground, BLOCK TIRES SO Truck won't roll. With truck in drive, press M (manual trans button). Now you can shift to N and then turn the truck off (it will stay in N for up to 30 min). You are now in N with the truck in ET mode. Proceed with Forscan process as directed.
@FordTechOne is this the proper way to engage engineering mode? I tried it yesterday to no avail. Off-roaded the truck today and the stiff ride is back despite having reset the rideheigjt yesterday in neutral after trying the engineering mode instructions above. Thanks in advance

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
@FordTechOne is this the proper way to engage engineering mode? I tried it yesterday to no avail. Off-roaded the truck today and the stiff ride is back despite having reset the rideheigjt yesterday in neutral after trying the engineering mode instructions above. Thanks in advance
I’m not familiar with the need to put anything in engineering mode; that mode has existed in Ford vehicles for decades, but historically it just self tests the IPC and displays DTCs in the message center. The Ford scan tool (FDRS) is just a simple calibration routine.

Did you see my response on the previous page regarding the suspension defaulting to full firmness and DTC B162F? There is a software update available that should correct the issue.

OP
OP
tm965

tm965

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’m not familiar with the need to put anything in engineering mode; that mode has existed in Ford vehicles for decades, but historically it just self tests the IPC and displays DTCs in the message center. The Ford scan tool (FDRS) is just a simple calibration routine.

Did you see my response on the previous page regarding the suspension defaulting to full firmness and DTC B162F? There is a software update available that should correct the issue.
I did and will need to go to the dealer to get the update. My truck has never done an over the air update since getting in last January.

I was able to just get it into engineering mode by going to the recal option while having the truck in neutral, then turning it off then back on and within the first 10 sec depressing the gas 3x fully. The ET symbol stayed on this go around. Will see how the latest recal works out in the meantime.

OP
OP
tm965

tm965

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well my truck started riding terribly again despite the recal a couple of days ago. I filled the truck up and did another recal then monitored the ride height sensors for a bit. It looks like my left rear rideheight sensor or solenoid is *****— @FordTechOne do you agree? I do plan to take this in as soon as I can (a couple of weeks from now unfortunately).
View attachment trim.CA788784-EED7-49E7-8701-84DFAB3D8AEB.MOV
Screenshot of rideheight sensors immediately post recal
3E4F40D8-C6AC-428A-802C-6AAE71EE3E8B.jpeg

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Well my truck started riding terribly again despite the recal a couple of days ago. I filled the truck up and did another recal then monitored the ride height sensors for a bit. It looks like my left rear rideheight sensor or solenoid is *****— @FordTechOne do you agree? I do plan to take this in as soon as I can (a couple of weeks from now unfortunately).
View attachment 406827
Screenshot of rideheight sensors immediately post recal
View attachment 406831
The rear rear height readings do seem to out of spec, have you physically verified they’re properly connected? Hopefully the dealer can figure get it handled, especially with the Service message that’s available.