Rough ride & constant ride height recalibration woes

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
tm965

tm965

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The rear rear height readings do seem to out of spec, have you physically verified they’re properly connected? Hopefully the dealer can figure get it handled, especially with the Service message that’s available.
just went and checked them out and everything looked/felt right. The connections are solid and everything looks as it should (ie without damage)

OP
OP
tm965

tm965

Full Access Member
Reaction score
following back up here--I continue to intermittently have the rough ride issue with the truck and the local dealers have been less than helpful. I've found that when the shocks go full stiff (seems to be mainly the rears doing this), the fault where the VDM has lost contact with body control module c is always present. Rather than doing constant ride height control module recals, I tried simply resetting the VDM and BCM and it seems to remedy the issue temporarily.

OCGen3

Reaction score
@tm965 let me know if you find resolution to this. My 22'-35 started doing the rough ride 1,000 miles ago and I can't get any relief. Dealer tech wouldn't acknowledge that anything was wrong so I just tried the ride height recal for the first time today and it corrected the height values but the ride is as bad as ever. As with your truck my RR sensor appears to be the furthest off after rechecking and at one point it was showing fidgity readings on the live data when there was no movement of the truck. Not sure where to turn to next. I feel for you because my ride was perfect for 17,000 miles and now this....depressing to drive it.

Donmatteo

FRF Addict
Reaction score
following back up here--I continue to intermittently have the rough ride issue with the truck and the local dealers have been less than helpful. I've found that when the shocks go full stiff (seems to be mainly the rears doing this), the fault where the VDM has lost contact with body control module c is always present. Rather than doing constant ride height control module recals, I tried simply resetting the VDM and BCM and it seems to remedy the issue temporarily.
dude.... @FordTechOne literally posted the Service number AND that there is a software update for the BCM that "will resolve your issue". Why do you keep trying a reset? Take the service bulletin to a different dealer and get is updated.

@tm965 I believe I may have found the root cause of your issue. This is symptom coded under “Harsh ride” on PTS:

SSM 51160 2021-2022 F-150 - DTC B162F:13 Stored In The BCMC
Some 2021-2022 F-150 vehicles may experience diagnostic trouble code (DTC) B162F:13 being stored in the body control module C (BCMC). This may be due to the configuration of the BCMC. To correct the condition, download and run the BCMC - Body Control Module C Configuration app using the latest level of the Ford Diagnosis and Repair System (FDRS).

OP
OP
tm965

tm965

Full Access Member
Reaction score
dude.... @FordTechOne literally posted the Service number AND that there is a software update for the BCM that "will resolve your issue". Why do you keep trying a reset? Take the service bulletin to a different dealer and get is updated.

@tm965 I believe I may have found the root cause of your issue. This is symptom coded under “Harsh ride” on PTS:

Some 2021-2022 F-150 vehicles may experience diagnostic trouble code (DTC) B162F:13 being stored in the body control module C (BCMC). This may be due to the configuration of the BCMC. To correct the condition, download and run the BCMC - Body Control Module C Configuration app using the latest level of the Ford Diagnosis and Repair System (FDRS).
ive been to multiple dealers. they wont even do diagnosis bc there arent any DTCs present (ie light on dash). i was also told that the tsb above was "not related" to my issues. the dealers here are shit... i basically have to wait until the truck is ****** up enough that they cant turn me away. dude...

semaj

Reaction score
I have does this, step by step and when I hit the recalibration button, it goes to 2 seconds and then stops and says recalibration error and stops. It does this every time I retry. Why does this happen.

Lanthas

Reaction score
I'll throw this out there in case it might help anyone. I had Geiser Springs installed all around on my 37PP truck, and had the same issues of a rougher ride and whatnot. After lots of researching and trial and error, I realized the front 2 sensors were both sitting at ~150mm and the rears were at 45-50mm. I had to manually disconnect the front height sensors and move them into a closer range of 50mm or so, and then do the recalibration. I also did not use ForScan. I spent the money on the 2 day download of FDRS and grabbed a Mongoose cable and not only updated all my modules while the truck was on a battery charger, but I also did the ride height calibration that way. (You may even need to do it the way with the bed scales task, as I think that ended up working for me lol)

The ride got better and the headlights are not aimed upward anymore either. If you have DTC's present, you can try moving all of the height sensors to about 40-50mm (which i think is close to stock, correct me if I am wrong) and doing the calibration that way. This was all as a result of me trying to use ForScan to do the calibration and I ended up "messing up" my VDM because all the truck would shout at me is "drive mode fault, service required" and I lost the ability to change drive modes, shock settings, and steering settings.

Raptorbert

Full Access Member
Reaction score

I had this done by a dealer (the ssm) and that DTC still persists according to forscan. Even if I clear it, it comes back eventually.

Raptorbert

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks to all in this thread for all the info on getting into ET and N with it off. Got my truck reprogrammed and now i'm much closer to zero than i was. is the 3.00mm in the rear anything to worry about? Guessing not but i figured i'd ask..

Also, @FordTechOne I know you mentioned the b162F code before in regards to suspension issues, I had that code fixed by the dealer but it still persists in forscan as "not present at time of request." Is this something that's a permanent code or does it fall off after a while on its own? Ive reset the DTC before but that code still comes back.

Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-09-24 080159.png
    Screenshot 2023-09-24 080159.png
    8.5 KB · Views: 12
  • Screenshot 2023-09-24 093231.png
    Screenshot 2023-09-24 093231.png
    42 KB · Views: 11

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Also, @FordTechOne I know you mentioned the b162F code before in regards to suspension issues, I had that code fixed by the dealer but it still persists in forscan as "not present at time of request." Is this something that's a permanent code or does it fall off after a while on its own? Ive reset the DTC before but that code still comes back.

Thanks in advance!
It should eventually clear itself as long as they did the software update, some DTCs take more key cycles/drive cycles than others.