GEN 2 Rod Knock or Detonation Knock???

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

19RaptorPB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I may be overthinking it and/or paranoid but I think I hear what sounds like a very very slight rod knock OR is that just detonation knock? I only hear it when I’m at low speeds, low RPM under load. I don’t hear it at idle and I’ve gone as far as holding an old broom handle all over the valve covers and oil pan while I had my son hold the throttle at multiple RPM’s and I can’t hear anything out of whack.

Under load I can hear it especially well pulling out from a stop sign under normal acceleration and right as the RPM’s start to rise from 1000 to 2000 after shifting. I’ve attempted to capture on video. You’ll have to listen carefully to hear it but it’s there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
does it make the same noise if you torque brake? IOW, hold down the brake and gas it to raise the rpms a bit and load the engine?

isis

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don’t hear anything at all. Your truck will hear detonation and retard timing way before you do. Rod knock would set off the same sensors. I get being nervous but between these two threads I’d prescribe a shot and a beer.

OP
OP
19RaptorPB

19RaptorPB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don’t hear anything at all. Your truck will hear detonation and retard timing way before you do. Rod knock would set off the same sensors. I get being nervous but between these two threads I’d prescribe a shot and a beer.

I get that but let me explain a little bit... I first heard the “knock” at about 6,000 miles. It was a noise that I didn’t hear before and it forced me to check the oil. When I checked the oil I was two quarts low. I brought it to the dealer. They ran the oil consumption test which the truck failed and they proceeded with the valve cover replacement and PCV system replacement. I mentioned the knock to them and they never said they found anything but it never went away.

What I don’t know for sure is if it’s just the exhaust note, a detonation knock, rod knock or something on the top end. I can’t help but think about what was starved for oil when I was two quarts low.

All that being said - I’m about to install the COBB stage 2 kit and most certainly will raise suspicion to the dealer. No matter how cool they are about upgrades, if the perceived noise gets louder in 10,000 miles I will surely have a hard time getting work done under warranty.

I’m well aware that the noise I’m hearing is more paranoia but wanted to get opinions and thoughts before I started ripping my front end apart.

Raptor911

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Question ... if you were 2 quarts low, wouldn’t that cause a warning light? In other words how many quarts do you have to be low on until the check oil light comes on?

OP
OP
19RaptorPB

19RaptorPB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Question ... if you were 2 quarts low, wouldn’t that cause a warning light? In other words how many quarts do you have to be low on until the check oil light comes on?

That’s exactly what I thought. When I talked to the service advisor he said not worry about it, these engines are bulletproof. I’ve been a gear head my whole life (not professionally) and know what happens when oil pressure isn’t ideal.

When I first heard the noise immediately looked at my oil pressure gauge and I was well within normal. I took a mental note where it was before and after adding oil and it literally moved a hair or two. Chances are nothing is wrong but it’s still got me a little paranoid. It could just be the V6 gurgle like the 3.1 GM engines in the beretta’s in the 90’s which is why I was posting a video.

Do you guys have that gurgle, rumble, audible sound? It’s hard to explain what I mean but it’s almost like a Subaru boxer engine sound but not nearly as pronounced.