2020 Raptor Tapping/Knocking Under Load

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jwod1993

Reaction score
Hi all,

Recently purchased my 2020 raptor. Love the truck. It has a build date of 08/20 so it was built post-cam phaser update. Truck currently has 31,*** miles. Completely stock.

Last month I was towing a trailer full of yard debris and noticed a slight tapping/knocking under certain rpm while the engine was under load. The truck does not make the noise at all when the drive mode is set to normal. I am able to replicate it when I put the truck in sport mode or any other drive mode where the engine ECU is mapped for more power. Like I stated above it only makes this knock/tap under certain rpm, not at full boost or light throttle input, but somewhere in between.

Does anyone have any idea what could be causing this? I have looked all over this forum and other F150/3.5 ecoboost forums and haven’t been able to find much. At first I thought it was wastegate rattle, but I checked my linkage and there is no play at all in either turbos wastegate linkage.

Any input/ideas are appreciated. Would like to be able to diagnose/figure this out before going to the dealer as I have been subject to the ‘not able to replicate’ response in the past with other vehicles I’ve owned.

Thanks.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
That sounds like spark knock/ping, which will occur under load. It’s can be caused by poor quality or low octane fuel or an aftermarket calibration (tune). Is the truck completely stock? No tune? What fuel and octane are you running?

OP
OP
Jwod1993

Jwod1993

Reaction score
That sounds like engine knock/ping, which will occur under load. It’s can be caused by poor quality or low octane fuel or an aftermarket calibration (tune). Is the truck completely stock? No tune?
Thanks for the reply. I bought the truck used so no telling if the prior owner ran 87 octane for its whole life up to 28k miles when I bought it. I've ran 93 since I purchased. Truck is completely stock.

I was thinking of running seafoam pour & spray through it to see if it helps.

TwizzleStix

Pudendum Inspector aka FORZDA 1
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So it makes the noise while stopped and revving the engine? I ask because the speedo isn’t moving in your video.

What t-case mode? 2H, 4H, 4L, 4A?

OP
OP
Jwod1993

Jwod1993

Reaction score
You might pop it into AWD and see if the noise goes away, to rule out the front hubs.
So it makes the noise while stopped and revving the engine? I ask because the speedo isn’t moving in your video.

What t-case mode? 2H, 4H, 4L, 4A?

Yes I was stationary in the video. It makes the noise in all transfer case modes, so it is not IWE related.

TwizzleStix

Pudendum Inspector aka FORZDA 1
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If it only does it in Sport mode it’s definitely the transmission. Likely the torque converter or otherwise input shaft related problems. The modes change the shift points and clutch/gear activations.

The problem was likely the reason previous owner sold/traded it…

OP
OP
Jwod1993

Jwod1993

Reaction score
If it only does it in Sport mode it’s definitely the transmission. Likely the torque converter or otherwise input shaft related problems. The modes change the shift points and clutch/gear activations.

The problem was likely the reason previous owner sold/traded it…
Thanks for this! I did some poking around on other posts and the noise mine makes is very similar to others that have had issues with their torque converter. Made an apt with my local dealer to check it out. Luckily this was a Ford Gold Certified truck so warranty should help out here.