Road trip time! Kentucky to Alaska in our new SCREW!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
SonnyAK

SonnyAK

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wow, $160 for 3/4 tank. Doesn't the pipe line go through Canada? They must tax the crap out their fuel.

They drill the shit out of oil up here, just like Alaska does, but they gouge the crap out of you, just like Alaska!! Not sure how they tax it here, but I bet it's super high!! We don't have any taxes in AK and still pay some of the highest prices in the US! :-(

Parking this thing is a bear isn't it?? I'm super picky about avoiding door dings, but I think this thing will be a lost cause!!

null_zps9c3e2052.jpg

Heading out of Whitehorse...looks like another pretty morning!

OP
OP
SonnyAK

SonnyAK

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Always wanted to drive up to Alaska through banff and jasper.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

That's really beautiful country through that part! Ft Nelson to Whitehorse is a really good area too!

I was wondering if the running boards would help w the dings...hopefully that'll do the trick, but there are a lot of big trucks up here too, but most people seem to take care of those...

We just got in to Tok, AK, so the Alcan is behind us...Now it's about 400 more mile down the Glenn Highway to Anchorage, but it's still a really pretty drive, so that's a big plus!!

The elevator door at the Whitehorse Best Western looks like a vault door...
null_zps713deb6b.jpg

One of the biggest wind vanes in the world!! A real Douglas DC-3...almost everyone in the Yukon and Alaska are aviation buffs...
null_zps3d53f20c.jpg

The drive started out with a really frosty morning.
null_zps7e90adb1.jpg

A really old bridge over one of the rivers from the early 1900's...no longer used of course (a few of the active bridges don't look much better) :-/ and has been rebuilt to original type specs.
null_zpsf6e5b4d8.jpg

Fall has already come and gone up here...
null_zps91a09063.jpg

A few highway/mountain shots...
null_zps0331e82d.jpg

null_zps867b8621.jpg

null_zps5143a4be.jpg

It was enevitable...running a bit too fast in the Raptor and the Mounty didn't appreciate it very much...
null_zpsa2f183b0.jpg

Wait...something doesn't look quite right here...Canadian cars need just a bit of work in the Quality Assurance area...
null_zpsadb715df.jpg

A big ass gold pan at Burwash Landing...the photo definitely doesn't do the size of it justice!!
null_zps1cd3db4a.jpg

Crossing back into the US and Alaska!!
null_zpscc0dcfa1.jpg

We've seen 14 Raptors so far and 12 of them were in Canada!! Most North of Calgary where they're definitely used in the snow!! 2 Screws were sitting at the dealership in Ft St John!! Might make for a great fly in and drive home trip!!

Last edited:
OP
OP
SonnyAK

SonnyAK

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We drove the last 400 miles or so back to Anchorage today and the weather was really cruddy - welcome back to the great weather in AK!! Snow and rain for most of the time...
null_zpse8e07db4.jpg

Ran across another herd of caribou, so we got wuite a few good photos of them...
null_zps04ef07dd.jpg

null_zps0a930d95.jpg

null_zps49b202f2.jpg

We hoped to see some bears along the way (we always do), but never did on this trip, so that was a huge disappointment!!

One of the many little airstrips along the highway...You never know where you're gonna see a small plane up here...
null_zpse72452cb.jpg

We drove past the HAARP (High Frequency Active Auroral Research Program), which is a very nondescript building run by the govt and is supposed to conduct research on the atmosphere...Lots of conspiracy theorist on this one!! I guess there are several around the world, and are supposed to be run by the Navy and Air Force...Lots of people think they are trying to weaponize the weather for military use...
The building looks pretty serious, with no windows at all, and 2 significant security gates in tandem...(like most prisons have) :-@
null_zpsb9144e4c.jpg

Here are the totals for the trip 14.6 mpg for the whole trip, so I thought that was pretty good - definitely better than I thought it would be!! I really like how the timer doesn't reset for each startup and was able to get the entire trip time for the trip too...
null_zps9c40cf20.jpg

The trip was great and I'm always sad when it ends!! You guys need to do it some day for sure!! I need to get my Harley down to Kentucky in a couple of years, and we're already looking forward to doing the trip again in the summer of 2015!!!

Last edited:
OP
OP
SonnyAK

SonnyAK

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks! When you all are planning a trip up sometime, be sure to let me know, and I'll be happy to give you my input on what to see and avoid along the way! Thanks again for going along on the trip!

I have a few pictures on a different camera, which I still need to download...so there'll be a few more, and hopefully better than an Iphone, pictures showing up soon...