Great road trip but few concerns

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

papaamg

Reaction score
Took the family on road trip to North GA. Great trip overall but a few concerns. Have a 23’ on 35s. Ride quality and ease of the trip was fantastic. Only problems were AC started blowing warm air while set to low about halfway through. Only would stay cool when put on defrost vents and now on dash vents. Same experience on AC or auto.

Also had an issue with downshifting while coming to a stop. That’s happened outside this trip but noticed it more on this trip. Some of the jolts were cringe worthy.

Love to hear the input. Thanks in advance. Other than these issues, love the truck and will never go back to my previous vehicles.

Attachments

• IMG_6896.jpeg
    IMG_6896.jpeg
    371.9 KB · Views: 21

Littlefx4

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Took the family on road trip to North GA. Great trip overall but a few concerns. Have a 23’ on 35s. Ride quality and ease of the trip was fantastic. Only problems were AC started blowing warm air while set to low about halfway through. Only would stay cool when put on defrost vents and now on dash vents. Same experience on AC or auto.

Also had an issue with downshifting while coming to a stop. That’s happened outside this trip but noticed it more on this trip. Some of the jolts were cringe worthy.

Love to hear the input. Thanks in advance. Other than these issues, love the truck and will never go back to my previous vehicles.
Lemme guess…you used the search engine but couldn’t find what you were looking for...sounds about right?

…or did you?

OP
OP
papaamg

papaamg

Reaction score
Thanks for the link. Just got back and was fresh on my mind. Dual pronged question regarding AC and transmission. Thanks again. Will check out that link

awd5906

Reaction score
Thanks for the link. Just got back and was fresh on my mind. Dual pronged question regarding AC and transmission. Thanks again. Will check out that link
My 23’s transmission is somewhat jerky when cold, especially when the ambient temp is below 40 degrees F like it is here in my part of the country. The transmission programming from Ford can be quirky, I’ve noticed this jerk happens due to the transmission shifting from 2nd gear to 1st gear when slowing down to a stop. Only happens when the transmission isn’t at operating temp. Not sure about the mileage on your truck but it’s going to be jerky for the first 1000 miles and even can do some firm shifts and strange gear changes up to 5000k miles accordingly to some posts here. By the way, a tune will help immensely. I can’t wait for Cobb to release the tune for the 23 and get the GooseTuned party started.

SurfRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Turn the cold knob all the way down to its coldest setting (or whichever you prefer) and then use only the auto fan button dead center to adjust the fan speed. I have found that the AC works much better for some reason on the auto feature. The clunky shifting happens on my truck too on a cold engine. It should only happen when coming to a stop and not accelerating with an on-ramp or at higher speeds. If it is doing it when coming to a stop, ford considers it normal. If it is doing it under heavy acceleration I would highly recommend taking it to the dealer for repair.

hyrepower

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My 23’s transmission is somewhat jerky when cold, especially when the ambient temp is below 40 degrees F like it is here in my part of the country. The transmission programming from Ford can be quirky, I’ve noticed this jerk happens due to the transmission shifting from 2nd gear to 1st gear when slowing down to a stop. Only happens when the transmission isn’t at operating temp. Not sure about the mileage on your truck but it’s going to be jerky for the first 1000 miles and even can do some firm shifts and strange gear changes up to 5000k miles accordingly to some posts here. By the way, a tune will help immensely. I can’t wait for Cobb to release the tune for the 23 and get the GooseTuned party started.
The transmission doesnt magically fix itself at 5000 miles, they just are a bit quirky and jerky at times. Just wait when one day you are driving slow and come to a turn and then when the transmission downshifts to 2nd, it slams in and make huge thud like someone with a mallet on the bottom of your truck. I love American trucks, but their engineering can be a bit rough at times.

awd5906

Reaction score
The transmission doesnt magically fix itself at 5000 miles, they just are a bit quirky and jerky at times. Just wait when one day you are driving slow and come to a turn and then when the transmission downshifts to 2nd, it slams in and make huge thud like someone with a mallet on the bottom of your truck. I love American trucks, but their engineering can be a bit rough at times.
5k is supposedly the end of the adaptive learning protocol.

awd5906

Reaction score
Mine has gotten worse since it’s been new. When it was new, it was smooth as glass, now it’s the same as every other F150/raptor I’ve ever had.
Can’t wait! The thud is always a fun time. Keeps you guessing if you left something from last night in the bed or if it’s just the transmission making itself known. Luckily I’ve only experienced it when it’s cold, coming to a stop. Hopefully Cobb puts the hammer down and gets that 23 tune rolled out.

SurfRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Mine has gotten worse since it’s been new. When it was new, it was smooth as glass, now it’s the same as every other F150/raptor I’ve ever had.
I agree. Mine was super smooth the first 5k and I was making fun of my father's Gen 2 clunk and then it started right after 5k. Its better than the Gen 2 but still not perfect.