Review: Alcon Brakes for Gen 2

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BigTaco

Reaction score
Actually just added his two products to my watchlist on ebay just now. The PO of my truck gave me a full powerstop brake kit when I bought it. Am I correct in that the Roush calipers use the same rotors so I can still use the kit, but just not the pads?

Also $460 seems crazy steep for a set of brackets. If someone had a set I could take measurements from or took some good measurements for me, I could model them in Solidworks and make them out of aluminum on my CNC.
I don’t think Aluminum will be strong enough. The Alcon brackets are steel. These calipers are really heavy….

Old-Raptor-guy

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I don’t think Aluminum will be strong enough. The Alcon brackets are steel. These calipers are really heavy….
Alcon calipers are cast iron and heavy as ****. I am sure aluminum would be fine, seems alcon owns an iron foundry. brembo, wilwood, SSBC calipers are all aluminum. I stated earlier in this thread that the cost is high because they have to pay so much for tooling machining iron parts.

Still waiting on my 2nd go around of brackets (11-9-22 eta) and I am sure Alcon will live up to my dreams, but the weight is substantial.

BigTaco

Reaction score
Don't forget the Alcon set was originally for armored up cars and was a MIL spec... or at least that was my understanding.
This,
That is the driver for all of this mass. Durability in the craziest of scenarios. Comparing these brakes to the offerings from Brembo in Willwood is not an apple to apples comparison. The team that designed these brakes design for really heavy armored SUV/Truck applications where using stock wheels is a requirement. Stopping a heavy vehicle sooner/shorter and with less fade; I really dig that.

BigTaco

Reaction score
I mean I could use 7075 instead, but considering the control arms are aluminum, I don’t think it would be an issue.
But you need more aluminum to have the same strength, right? I’m thinking of the application vs just the materials if that makes sense? I would (and have) get the Alcon brackets. The juice is not worth the squeeze. If you got the Roush/Alcon kit from EBay, you are so much money ahead, even purchasing the brackets is still thousands cheaper. If money is that tight, you could wait and save?

screaminfast

Full Access Member
Reaction score
But you need more aluminum to have the same strength, right? I’m thinking of the application vs just the materials if that makes sense? I would (and have) get the Alcon brackets. The juice is not worth the squeeze. If you got the Roush/Alcon kit from EBay, you are so much money ahead, even purchasing the brackets is still thousands cheaper. If money is that tight, you could wait and save?

For sure. It’s not a money thing. Id think it would be lighter still and no chance of rusting up here in upstate NY.

TomDirt

FRF Addict
Reaction score
This just came up on www.racedezert.com $4500 for a complete Brembo setup. Wish I had the coin for it, maybe someone else here does. Classified ad #193346.

Attachments

• 20221106_071427.jpg
    20221106_071427.jpg
    124.8 KB · Views: 18