Replaced phasers twice now blown motor ?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Hey, I just had my phasers done for the second time - I ignored for a while as it was just on startup but I continued to get a rattle after just startup, same rattle but it just continued. Days after getting my truck back, I ran into a bunch of engine codes, including low oil pressure. They replaced the sensor, for low oil pressure only to come again, to the point they are now telling me my engine is blown - all with it 500km after phasers were replaced. Now, they did not replace the tensioners or chains, but they replaced a gear or guide because it was cracked. Is this what you are referring to above? Is that a workmanship related issue?

Thanks
First post? Please feel free to introduce yourself in the new member section.

What were the DTCs? Low oil pressure DTCs after front cover removal is often the result of the plug in the block behind the front cover moving out of place. When that happens it will bypass oil pressure internally, causing low oil pressure and a DTC. The technician should have noticed that.

Last edited:

Ecoboo

Reaction score
First post? Please feel free to introduce yourself in the new member section.

What were the DTCs? Low oil pressure DTCs after front cover removal is often the result of the plug in the block behind the front cover moving out of place. When that happens it will bypass oil pressure internally, causing low oil pressure and a DTC. The technician should have noticed that.
Apologies - I have been in a mad search to find something, as you can imagine the rock and hard place it feels like I’m in right now. I’m Canadian eh, however I don’t have a raptor, just a 2017 3.5 ecoboost, just ended up here as I found this post similar to mine.

Engine codes I had or some of them at least were:
P0022, P0025, P0017, P0012, P0015

I’ll recheck my work orders when I have them again. The tech did not put the specific codes in the the original work order, just stated timing related DTCs. The DTCs above were after the oil light came on, after the sensor was replaced.

Ecoboo

Reaction score
Apologies - I have been in a mad search to find something, as you can imagine the rock and hard place it feels like I’m in right now. I’m Canadian eh, however I don’t have a raptor, just a 2017 3.5 ecoboost, just ended up here as I found this post similar to mine.

I’ll recheck my work orders when I have them again. The tech did not put the specific codes in the the original work order, just stated timing related DTCs. The DTCs above were after the oil light came on, after the sensor was replaced.
Sorry, forgot to mention, it was my timing chain guide that was broken/cracked. Any chance this could contribute to engine problems ?

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score

With the DTCs and symptoms you describe only occurring after the most recent repair, that points to a workmanship issue. If oil pressure is low, cam timing related DTCs will set, as oil is used to maintain VCT position. It’s also possible that the camshafts have been mistimed.

As far as the broken chain guide, that’s is related damage, not root cause. Something caused that chain guide to break, whether it was installed incorrectly, the tensioner wasn’t released, etc. Which goes back to the previous repair.

The most common cause of a loss of oil pressure after front cover removal is a dislodged oil plug, which is located below the water pump in the center of the front cover. If the technician knocked out of of place, it will bleed off oil pressure and cause the symptoms you are having.

The engine was running fine before you brought it in for phaser replacement, yet now it has low oil pressure and VCT DTCs afterward. That is not a coincidence, it’s a dealer workmanship problem. Don’t let them try and pretend that their repair is unrelated to the current issues, they need to stand behind their work, not try and sell you an engine.

Ecoboo

Reaction score
With the DTCs and symptoms you describe only occurring after the most recent repair, that points to a workmanship issue. If oil pressure is low, cam timing related DTCs will set, as oil is used to maintain VCT position. It’s also possible that the camshafts have been mistimed.

As far as the broken chain guide, that’s is related damage, not root cause. Something caused that chain guide to break, whether it was installed incorrectly, the tensioner wasn’t released, etc. Which goes back to the previous repair.

The most common cause of a loss of oil pressure after front cover removal is a dislodged oil plug, which is located below the water pump in the center of the front cover. If the technician knocked out of of place, it will bleed off oil pressure and cause the symptoms you are having.

The engine was running fine before you brought it in for phaser replacement, yet now it has low oil pressure and VCT DTCs afterward. That is not a coincidence, it’s a dealer workmanship problem. Don’t let them try and pretend that their repair is unrelated to the current issues, they need to stand behind their work, not try and sell you an engine.
Thanks for the insight - it is extremely appreciated. Obviously, the dealership is denying that it’s their fault. I just reached out Ford Canada yesterday. At this point, it just feels like he said she said and I feel a bit strong armed by dealership. Do you think Ford Canada will be helpful given the situation? The oversight of the dealer industry should be planting issues in vehicles and seeing what the dealer says. Such awful service!

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Thanks for the insight - it is extremely appreciated. Obviously, the dealership is denying that it’s their fault. I just reached out Ford Canada yesterday. At this point, it just feels like he said she said and I feel a bit strong armed by dealership. Do you think Ford Canada will be helpful given the situation? The oversight of the dealer industry should be planting issues in vehicles and seeing what the dealer says. Such awful service!
If Canadian franchise laws are anything like the US, the manufacturer can’t force the dealer to do anything or hold them accountable unless it’s a warranty repair. Doesn’t hurt to call them though and open a request for assistance.