Cam Phasers Being Replaced Again in 17 Months!!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

WillieFlo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So, I had the cam phasers replacement done in October 2021, and Ford covered it in full under warranty. Last week, I took my truck in to the dealership again because AC was not kicking on all the time and it was also making an awful rattle on startup. View and listen to attached video. Sounds like I was starting an old lawnmower.......and very different from the previous time my cam phasers were replaced. I thought maybe it was the compressor clutch going bad(in that lower passenger engine bay area, which would have explained my AC problems, but nope........Damn!

Are we to expect to have to replace the cam phasers every 2 years of ownership with the 3.5 HO Ecoboost? Anyone have the skinny on this?

Just for anyone else in the group going through this. I filed a claim with Ford immediately after getting the call from my Service Mgr. Ford has said they won't pay in full this time, but they will pay the majority of the bill for the cam phasers to be replaced and will warranty the parts for 2 years. I'm thankful for that, but damnit I want my Gen 2 to last! Is a NA Coyote or SC Coyote swap inevitable to keep a Gen 2 for a long time?

Attachments

• IMG_8727_Trim.mp4
    6.8 MB
Last edited:

jorligan

Reaction score
Swap can't be done for reasonable cost. Replaced my Gen 2 with a Gen 3 Platinum with SC Coyote and had Paxpower do a body conversion.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
This topic has been beaten to death in countless threads. Did you have FSA 21B10 completed?

2slo4u

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My cam phasers were just replaced for the 2nd time. Took it in for a weird sound at startup but it definitely was not the typical sound of cam phasers that everyone is used to. I was surprised when they told me it was my cam phasers. 1st replacement was about 14 months ago and was covered under drivetrain warranty. I think the second replacement was covered by ESP warranty.

For those keeping track -- I did have the FSA 21B10 completed.

OP
OP
WillieFlo

WillieFlo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This topic has been beaten to death in countless threads. Did you have FSA 21B10 completed?

Yes, I saw other threads, and it was done. It did say they did the 21B10 the first time. No way of checking if they properly torqued everything last time though. Surprised they only cover for 1 year after fully addressing the situation under warranty. Just glad they have agreed to cover the majority and will cover parts for 2 years after I pay this time. Deeply disappointed this may be a recurring issue as I'm not a fan of the Gen 3, except for the rear end suspension, and the work surface foldover console....

OP
OP
WillieFlo

WillieFlo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Swap can't be done for reasonable cost. Replaced my Gen 2 with a Gen 3 Platinum with SC Coyote and had Paxpower do a body conversion.
Hmm, you have me thinking crazy things......I could buy my parent's mint 2018 Platinum 4x4 with the V8(only 28,000 miles on it), and see if PaxPower could use my Raptor as a donor for the Raptor suspension and body parts in a parts swap......OMG!

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Yes, I saw other threads, and it was done. It did say they did the 21B10 the first time. No way of checking if they properly torqued everything last time though. Surprised they only cover for 1 year after fully addressing the situation under warranty. Just glad they have agreed to cover the majority and will cover parts for 2 years after I pay this time. Deeply disappointed this may be a recurring issue as I'm not a fan of the Gen 3, except for the rear end suspension, and the work surface foldover console....
So if you can confirm 100% that 21B10 was completed (billed to warranty, not just verbal) then at this point you either have a defective part (possible but unlikely) or it’s a workmanship issue. Phasers are very susceptible to even small debris, so if the technician didn’t keep everything clean it’s possible that debris entered the phaser and is causing the locking mechanism to stick.

If 21B10 was in fact completed, you have the same parts and calibration as all 11/2019 and later builds (including Gen 3), which don’t have the issue. There is no reason to expect it to be a recurring problem as long as the dealer performs the repairs properly.

OP
OP
WillieFlo

WillieFlo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So if you can confirm 100% that 21B10 was completed (billed to warranty, not just verbal) then at this point you either have a defective part (possible but unlikely) or it’s a workmanship issue. Phasers are very susceptible to even small debris, so if the technician didn’t keep everything clean it’s possible that debris entered the phaser and is causing the locking mechanism to stick.

If 21B10 was in fact completed, you have the same parts and calibration as all 11/2019 and later builds (including Gen 3), which don’t have the issue. There is no reason to expect it to be a recurring problem as long as the dealer performs the repairs properly.

Glad that it's not a recurring defect. I'm hoping that they don't use the same tech that worked on mine last time. Appreciate your insights and deep knowledge on this!

I love my Gen 2. I think I'll still plan on buying my parent's '18 Platinum 4x4 5.0 as a backup plan for the future. It only has mileage in the mid-20's and is in excellent condition like the day they bought it, so I could use it as a DD down the line and let the Raptor rest from all the driving I do for work. Thanks!