Replaced phasers twice now blown motor ?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

benbachh

Full Access Member
Reaction score
June 2020 (approx 20k miles) replaced cam phasers due to loud ticking noises
Few weeks later ticking noises were still there but extremely faint, the service advisor told me it’s normal and the only harm it’ll do is to your ears

April 2021 (approx 58k miles) replace cam phasers again, ticking noises got louder w/ slight rough idle. A few days later mentioned that slight noises were still there but again they told me it’s no biggie.

September 2021 63k miles brought it in for service ( just an oil change ) mentioned the cam phasers again but they didn’t have time to bring me in for 2 weeks, 500 miles later my engine started rattling/knocking on the freeway as if the rod blew, merged off the freeway and the motor froze.

Can bad cam phasers cause the motor to blow ? Im worried the factory warranty won’t cover it since im over 60k miles although the cam phasers were an issue since 20k miles.

Anyone have any input ? Getting the truck towed to the dealership today.

Only mods on the vehicle right now… are frame cut inter cooler, 37’s and a perch collar

Attachments

• B30210ED-9FD1-4061-9812-0E5CEFA72C41.jpeg
    B30210ED-9FD1-4061-9812-0E5CEFA72C41.jpeg
    262.3 KB · Views: 74

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
The cam phaser recall/TSB is related to the locking mechanism which causes a rattle only on cold start. There have not been instances of repeat failures with the updated parts. The only way the phasers could cause engine failure is if they physically came apart, which is extremely unlikely.

This sounds more like a workmanship issue than anything. It is critical that the crank pulley bolt be replaced each time it’s removed and critical that the correct torque procedure is followed. If the crank timing gear is found to be cracked upon disassembly, that’s a clear indication that the bolt was either reused or improperly torqued.

See if you can get the details of the failure, if it’s workmanship then the dealer should be covering the repair.

Teraflx

Reaction score
Ouch, keep us in the loop. I would assume Ford would step up if found it was something to do with the Cam Phaser since you had it replaced twice and mentioned the issue multiple times to the dealer and you are only barely out of warranty. Or the dealer will step up if they did the work incorrectly.

Definitely let us know what they find and the final outcome.

2ndFord

Reaction score
The cam phaser recall/TSB is related to the locking mechanism which causes a rattle only on cold start. There have not been instances of repeat failures with the updated parts. The only way the phasers could cause engine failure is if they physically came apart, which is extremely unlikely.

This sounds more like a workmanship issue than anything. It is critical that the crank pulley bolt be replaced each time it’s removed and critical that the correct torque procedure is followed. If the crank timing gear is found to be cracked upon disassembly, that’s a clear indication that the bolt was either reused or improperly torqued.

See if you can get the details of the failure, if it’s workmanship then the dealer should be covering the repair.
Everyone on this site should be extremely thankful for FordTechOne's membership and contributions. I value everything he has to say, and read in detail ALL of his posts whether or not they apply to any questions particular to my truck.

Reaper308

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Man that sucks sorry about your issues! If they don’t cover the engine rebuild has anyone seen or heard of any companies doing a 5.0 coyote swap on our trucks that’s what I have thought about in the long run? FordTechOne? I’m looking at you for input here?

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Man that sucks sorry about your issues! If they don’t cover the engine rebuild has anyone seen or heard of any companies doing a 5.0 coyote swap on our trucks that’s what I have thought about in the long run? FordTechOne? I’m looking at you for input here?
I believe the bolt patterns are different so you’d need a different transmission as well. You’d lose a lot of low end and peak torque as well, which isn’t ideal for a heavy truck on 35’s. If he needs to pay out of pocket he could get a long block from Tasca for $4200.