Rear Camera - poor resolution

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
T

Tim Purtell

Reaction score
Hello Everyone - an update on my email to Ford about the issue:

1) I sent an email about the problem to Ford Customer Service
2) Ford sent me a reply to go to the dealer
3) I went to the dealer and the service manager said there was nothing he could do as it wasnt broken. I wrote the following note to Ford in the best, most articulate way possible:

My Note "I contacted the service manager and brought the truck in to have it looked at. Mr. *** was very helpful and highly professional taking my concern very seriously! We looked at the camera together and he agreed that the camera had some blurring, particularly on the edges, but also stated that he did not have a lot of experience with them and has not had many complaints either! We decided to check out a camera on a 2011 Platinum addition truck and it seems that the camera on that truck is just as 'fuzzy'. We agreed that it seems like this is more of a camera design issue, and not something unique to my vehicle. We agreed that there did not seem like there was much that he could do on the problem.

I am still not pleased with the quality of this camera system and am writing you back accordingly. I was wondering if the team that specifies this camera had this sort of fuzzy image in mind when specifications were written ... Or is there a quality issue with the supplier that needs to be addressed. The Sony system is wonderful in nearly every way - it seems that since this is an item that is not frequently used, you are not getting many comments. I can assure you that if the electronics team looked at this image versus what I have in my Audi, there would be absolute agreement that the Ford quality is not as high. Again, this is a shame since so much great work has gone into this overall truck product!!!!

Given that Ford endeavors to make high quality pgoducts, will you forward my concern on or do I just need to live with this? I truly believe there is a supplier problem here that your engineering team should look into.

If you would like, I would be happy to send a picture of the Ford image versus the Audi in light and dark conditions to illustrate the point.

I await your thoughts on next steps!"

Here is what they sent me (don't laugh):

"Dear Tim,

My name is Carlo from Ford's Customer Relationship Center. I have read your email regarding your feedback with 2011 Ford Raptor SCrew.

Your feedback is highly valued by all divisions within Ford Motor Company and serves to provide us with insight into areas where we may need improvement.

We have documented your comments which will be forwarded to the appropriate department for review and consideration. Thank you for your feedback and we hope that your future experiences with Ford products will be more positive.

However, I recommend that your vehicle be inspected by a Ford/Lincoln/Mercury dealership to determine the cause of any symptoms your vehicle may be experiencing. you can directly contact your local Ford dealer. Just to let you know, if you would like to check this information in the future, the Ford Motor Company web site has a section where you can look up recalls on your vehicle.

1. Ford
2. Type in "Recall"

If you have any other inquiries or concerns, please feel free to contact us and we will be happy to address them."

So, not feeling like I wanted to give up yet, I called Ford and told them their response indicated that the person DIDNT BOTHER TO READ my note! We talked the issue and she said that she wasnt going to "dispute" what the dealer said and that since it wasn't broken, there was nothing that could be done about it. I wasnt "disputing" the dealer either - its not broken, it just isnt very good!

Well - I give up!!!! The camera is lame ... Ford Customer Service is not effective ... BUT I LOVE THE RAPTOR. Yes I would but it again!!!!

Issue resolved!

swoop1156

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Who wants to tear apart the Ford logo on the rear of the tailgate on the 2011 and compare part numbers and stuff? Or did we already do that in this thread. Hmm, now I think I recall someone posting part numbers.

This is still interesting.

Bar

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Working on that swoop. My wife's 2010 Expedition's camera looks hi-def compared to mine. I thought I could do it last weekend. No luck. This weekend for sure.

SOCOMech

Famous Raptor
Reaction score
Maybe it's just me but, I have absolutely no issue with the quality of the camera. My quality is no better than anyone else's, it's just that I don't see the need to have an HD plasma like resolution from a backup camera. I think Ford would've been able to get a "better" camera but for what? A higher price? That would get passed on to the customer to pay more for......add that to all the other little tidbits that some say they wish were there and it does just that, adds up. I have no issues seeing, identifying and adjusting accordingly with anything I see in my camera, it's juuuuust fine.

*Of course, REAL technical difficulties are another issue:)

Bar

Full Access Member
Reaction score
SOCOMech, you are missing the point! It's either talk to my wife or sit in the garage looking for things to take apart...

bfr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Interesting to check out Bar.

The part number I pulled up for a 2010 Expedition is 19G490 which shows kind of a license plate mounting location. The part number for the F150 Oval emblem with camera and harness is 9L3T-19G490-BG. Almost seems like there has been no change in part number but perhaps a change in components/supplier used.