Rear Camera - poor resolution

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bfr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
nodak and others....

the issue here isn't really whether you think the picture is clear...or said another way...if the picture looks clear as a bell to you. There will always be a difference in perception based on expectation and past experience. You all have (had the ability to) see the images produced by my camera. For some that might be fine. For myself and others it is definitely not up to our expectations for our Raptors. The issues are:

a) are there real differences between the image quality produced by the cameras that are installed on various Raptor builds?

b) has there been more than one camera model used on Raptors?

c) is there a difference with the cabling or connections that is producing the reduced image quality?

I believe Ford probably selected a cheap camera for the Raptor. I do not expect or anticipate them doing anything about it. My hope would be to find a replacement with the same or similar dimensions that could be retrofitted.

If anyone has information that can answer some of these questions...we'd love to hear or see it. Quality pictures of your Nav screens showing your camera's images would probably be helpful...if for nothing else to judge what you consider to be clear as a bell. Parts info would also be good.

TheJoker

FRF Addict
Reaction score
nodak and others....

the issue here isn't really whether you think the picture is clear...or said another way...if the picture looks clear as a bell to you. There will always be a difference in perception based on expectation and past experience. You all have (had the ability to) see the images produced by my camera. For some that might be fine. For myself and others it is definitely not up to our expectations for our Raptors. The issues are:

a) are there real differences between the image quality produced by the cameras that are installed on various Raptor builds?

b) has there been more than one camera model used on Raptors?

c) is there a difference with the cabling or connections that is producing the reduced image quality?

I believe Ford probably selected a cheap camera for the Raptor. I do not expect or anticipate them doing anything about it. My hope would be to find a replacement with the same or similar dimensions that could be retrofitted.

If anyone has information that can answer some of these questions...we'd love to hear or see it. Quality pictures of your Nav screens showing your camera's images would probably be helpful...if for nothing else to judge what you consider to be clear as a bell. Parts info would also be good.

If there are more than one camera models used 2010/2011, It would be the same model used across all trim levels (not limited to the Raptor).

swoop1156

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Hmm... Your display is different than mine. I have a 2010...

So here are my results. (pics)

1482d1297796291-rear-camera-poor-resolution-p1010013_30pc-jpg

My 2011 is definitely fuzzier than my 2010 was. Noticed it right away!

My camera is amazing. But, I also have a 2010, the 11's supposedly have blurry cameras

Here are pictures of my rear view camera. Going into what I said above, my display (2010 dependent?) is different than the picture above. Look at the black center line...

attachment.php

attachment.php

Also, I don't have a 'zoom' button/capability on my camera.

Attachments

• IMAG1017.jpg
    IMAG1017.jpg
    88.9 KB · Views: 127
  • IMAG1024.jpg
    IMAG1024.jpg
    91.2 KB · Views: 119

bfr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not sure it is a huge improvement but it's definitely different. Thanks for that Swoop.

Found this article. Makes me wonder if Ford's quest for rolling out cams to more vehicles left them short with their supplier.

bfr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hunting thru the Ford Parts database online (can't see the actual part numbers) but I do find 3 different MSRP prices for seemingly 3 different parts:

2009 Pick up box - tail gate - camera MSRP $383.40

09-10 electrical instr & guages - parking aid - camera MSRP $507.45

10-11 camera - 5.5 foot styleside box MSRP $409.72

One (or more) of the assemblies I think also goes by this: 9L3T-19G490-BG

Anyone have access to a parts database with part numbers?

brinkwolf

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Shoot wish mine looked that good. Mine has what looks like condensation built up in the middle of it all the time.

TheJoker

FRF Addict
Reaction score
The lines are superimposed on the image. It could be that Ford changed the layout when they added the new features for 2011. I don't think that the difference in the lines, proves that they changed cameras. I hope that this issue is resolved before they build mine.

bfr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I believe most of the Chinese and Japanese suppliers of the cameras have control modules in-line that determine line configurations, tilt adjustments and reverse L/R image toggles. Someone who knows these products well could probably look at the various line configs and tell you who made it and what model it is. The video out feed from these units can then display on any LCD or rearview mirror, etc.

swoop1156

FRF Addict
Reaction score
The lines are superimposed on the image.

No they're not. Mine has red, yellow, green and black lines painted on the camera lens really really small-like. :)

For real... I think anyone that has a smartphone might know enough about technology to understand this. What I am saying is:
  • 2010 doesn't seem to be getting complaints as to camera resolution or clarity.
  • 2011 models seem to be getting complaints as to camera resolution or clarity.
  • 2010 doesn't have the same display 'superimposed' on their cameras.
  • 2011 seems to have a different "camera", whether physically or electronically/software-based than 2010.
We are here to try to figure it out.

If someone can get me code, I can read it.