Rear Camera - poor resolution

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tim Purtell

Reaction score
I love my Raptor and think it is a wonderful machine!!!! One concern - the rear back up camera ... the red yellow and green lines that are superimposed look extremely clear, butteh camera image itself is really poor resolution. I called my local Ford dealer and they suggested I look for wax build up, but there is none. Did they cheap out on some terrible quality camera??? Surely this isnt right! Thoughts??

Thanks

IRONMAN

Reaction score
I love my Raptor and think it is a wonderful machine!!!! One concern - the rear back up camera ... the red yellow and green lines that are superimposed look extremely clear, butteh camera image itself is really poor resolution. I called my local Ford dealer and they suggested I look for wax build up, but there is none. Did they cheap out on some terrible quality camera??? Surely this isnt right! Thoughts??

Thanks

Mine seems pretty clear mind you it's the rear view mirror screen but everyones standards are different. Any way of getting a pic or small video of what your looking at?

swoop1156

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Do you have the NAV screen camera or the rear view mirror camera? In my experience, the rear view camera can look a bit hazy or low-resolution because of the space that it's in and the amount of pixels.

My girlfriend has the rear camera in her mirror and I have the rear camera in the NAV and mine is much more clear than hers.

bfr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hmmm...let me see how I feel about this one. I'm gonna go polish up my camera lens nice and clean and then see what I think of the image on the NAV screen. It has been my initial impression that the image totally sucks. But I've just ignored it...thinking the problem was dirt and I needed to wash the truck...in fact I've been researching the idea of a backup camera washer mod using headlamp washer type devices. But maybe it's just that the camera sucks. Be right back....

Banned
Reaction score
Could be many things, low/bad lighting, dirt, debris etc. It's not gonna be HD but it shouldn't be to terrible.

Raptor62

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My camera has been a bit on the fuzzy side. I chalked that up to being old and can't see. I think we need a mod like they have on the NASCAR cameras to clean the lenses.

bfr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So here are my results. (pics)

My conclusion is that TP has it right...the camera totally sucks!

Funny how quickly I was trying to ignore it or explain it away, but it totally is crap. Not sure if the correct term is resolution to explain the problem, but the clarity and contrast is very poor.

JMHO

my basis for comparison (which isn't here right now or I'd take comparison photos from) is the backup cam system on an Audi Q7 w/Nav.

pics descriptions:
clean lens
image1 closeup of Nav display
image2 full display
pic from camera to show what it sees

Attachments

• P1010009_30pc.jpg
    P1010009_30pc.jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 103
  • P1010012_30pc.jpg
    P1010012_30pc.jpg
    70.8 KB · Views: 69
  • P1010013_30pc.jpg
    P1010013_30pc.jpg
    57.2 KB · Views: 230
  • P1010015_30pcRev.jpg
    P1010015_30pcRev.jpg
    89.5 KB · Views: 64
Last edited:

swoop1156

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Hmm... Your display is different than mine. I have a 2010 as well. I wonder what the difference is! Nice shots and comparisons!