Rear Camera - poor resolution

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bar

Full Access Member
Reaction score
New to the forum...first post.

Just picked up my 2011 SuperCrew Monday night. My wife's 2010 Expedition backup camera is much clearer. There is definitely a difference. I might swap them this weekend (if I can) and will let you know if it works.

Amazing truck. Let the mods begin.

OP
OP
T

Tim Purtell

Reaction score
Settings: First, I didnt know they were there (so thanks for that) - but second, they really only turn the bars on/off ... adjust for contrast and brightness ... so, they didnt help with the crappy resolution problem. Thanks for the suggestion - wouldnt it be great if there were a cool 'resolution' setting to change!!

HoustonRider

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have the answer and an analogy...

The image is a small image resolution to begin with. In the rear camera in the rear view mirror (like in my 250), its sharp and clear. If you blow that image up at that resolution multiple times, the resolution will not be that great. Its not for long-range target practice, just to keep you from rolling over kids and hitting gas pumps.

The Anaology? you know when you look at a naked pic of your GF on your camera phone it looks sharp and clear, then when you see it in full screen mode on your computer you say "are you serious, I'm hitting that?"

................class dismissed :)

bfr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Of course the smaller size of the in-mirror version of the back-up cam image is not going to show the shortcomings of the camera as much. The real comparison is with other vehicles backup cameras and in that showdown the Raptor fails miserably. The color and contrast are all whacked out too. Seems like a really cheap camera was chosen or somewhere along the signal path something is responsible for making the image look like crap.

Would love some parts database folks or those who've torn them apart to compare the Expedition or other cameras with the one on the Raptor. Sure seems to be a lousy camera head.

swoop1156

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I really think that there is a difference in 2010 and 2011 models. Everything looks different on the screen.

OP
OP
T

Tim Purtell

Reaction score
This is an interesting post:

Some folks I talk to say: Who gives a crap ... we don't use the camera anyway, we are mirror people!

Others say: I guess it is a little unclear, but its good enough to make sure you dont run over a kid and certainly good enough to back onto a trailer hitch!

And others (like me) say: With camera technology where it is today, it is amazing how poor the resolution is! Nearly any other camera out there looks better!!!

So - I emailed Ford and wrote a nice letter, and they politely advised me to contact the dealer (again). So today, I brought it to the dealer and the nice, professional service manager looked at it with me and he agreed that the image wasnt all that clear, but that he never really used back up cameras and hasn't really gotten many complaints (see #1 or #2 above). We hopped into a Ford Platimum Edition to check it out in that truck and ... sure enough, the image on that truck is just as bad! We agreed that "it is what it is" ... simply a poorly specified camera (my words, not his)!!!

I will email Ford back and report back what they say (for anyone that cares that is ... and I know a few of us do!!!!)

Thanks!

HoustonRider

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I knew my response was the correct one.

It doesn't have to be in HD to keep you from killing someone or backing into an abyss.... its clear enough to keep you out of trouble.

Think back to the days when it didn't exist........ is is clearer now?

HoustonRider

Full Access Member
Reaction score
lol.... shit, I crack myself up....

its not SHARP enough.. lol.... don't drive backwards at high speeds at night and it shouldn't be an issue... lol

BDRAG

HAhahaaaa.
Reaction score
This is an interesting post:

Tim,

Great meeting in person last night. I went home and my camera shot is as good as the Q7 in the pics. Its perfect. Don't know whats wrong with yours.
HAhahaaaaaa. MINE SUCKS JUST AS BAD! Its not bad during the day but at night it is real blured. I think the comments about the poor rez quality due to being blown up on a bigger screen has some merrit.

So was the dealer experiance totally HORRIBLE or can I trust that dealer to do me right. I am talking North Central.

BDRAG / SHAMU / Marc / Jakes Kid........ HAhahaaaaaaaaa.