Ready to buy Gen2(or 3) - but all dealerships way over MSRP?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RedPanda

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First, welcome to the place!

There's a bunch of threads floating around here on similar topics, but to sum up: you're looking to buy at possibly the all time worst time to try to buy a Raptor for a few reasons.

1) location: Raptor prices are affected by region, CA in particular (west coast in general) has the highest prices and dealers budge the least. Generally the further east you go, the better the price. Consider finding one out east and flying out/driving back to buy it.

2) scarcity: with no more Gen 2's being produced, the demand is still high and supply is low. Daily there's posts about guys getting offered MORE than what they paid for the truck on trade in. I'm not in the car sales game but I reckon dealers know there's money to be made by pumping the value of these trucks for as long as supply remains low and Gen 3's aren't hitting showrooms.

3) uncertainty with Gen 3: there was an article/press release last week by Ford announcing that they're scaling down a few of their plants (including Dearborn) due to the ongoing semiconductor shortage. I'm not sure what it's like in your area, but around me, the Chevy, Toyota, Ram, and Ford dealer lots are looking as spartan as I've ever seen car lots. We likely don't know how deep this is affecting the car industry as a whole but to think it won't affect the roll out of the Gen 3 would be naive.

Dealerships are likely lying/BSing about pricing and availability, the only people who actually have a clue live and work in Dearborn MI. I always get a chuckle when dealerships try to act in the know, they're likely blowing smoke up your ass to keep you as a customer so they can shove that sweet sweet ADM on you later.

TLDR: good luck, try the used market preferably private party (for sale section on here and FB seem to be good starting points), and seriously good luck because the market is as tough as it's ever been.

I'm somewhat in the same boat as OP, just joined the sub today! Thanks for sharing!

I've wanted a Raptor since they first came out, and I'm finally in a position to afford one. I WFH and am traveling for the next two months so I won't need a vehicle until June. I'm hoping that with the release of Gen 3's, the Gen 2 used marked will soften a bit. Fingers crossed that production isn't slowed too much.

The original scheduled release from Ford stated Summer of 2021, right?

Heinz

Reaction score
I’m in Southern California as well. After months of searching, I picked up my truck private party in Arizona a couple weeks ago. 2018 fully loaded SCREW, minus recaros and rear decals. I think I can tell you every single Raptor for sale on all the major sites, haha.

Best advice I have is that patience is key, but when you find the truck you want at a price you’re willing to pay, jump on it. I had a deal worked out on one truck and before I could fly out, the guy received an offer for $5k more. Another guy I was talking to sold his truck back to the original dealer for MSRP (10k miles).

Personally, I wasn’t willing to pay MSRP for a used truck, and luckily I wasn’t in a rush. Best options do seem to be out of state, and I would count CA dealerships out almost entirely. Good luck with the search!

NickyF25

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’m in Southern California as well. After months of searching, I picked up my truck private party in Arizona a couple weeks ago. 2018 fully loaded SCREW, minus recaros and rear decals. I think I can tell you every single Raptor for sale on all the major sites, haha.

Best advice I have is that patience is key, but when you find the truck you want at a price you’re willing to pay, jump on it. I had a deal worked out on one truck and before I could fly out, the guy received an offer for $5k more. Another guy I was talking to sold his truck back to the original dealer for MSRP (10k miles).

Personally, I wasn’t willing to pay MSRP for a used truck, and luckily I wasn’t in a rush. Best options do seem to be out of state, and I would count CA dealerships out almost entirely. Good luck with the search!

I agree patience and not being in a rush is key. Late March of last year I had a nice deal about worked out on a new 2020 ($69,995 for a $75,435 MSRP), but when things got locked down due to COVID I decided to not go through with it and preserve cash for my business (kicking myself now but was the right call at the time). Have recently been looking at 2019/2020's and will bite if the right deal, but otherwise am investing the money. I also have a hard time paying MSRP or more for a used truck. Once the Gen 3 comes out I will see how hard they are to come by and ADMs, and impacts to Gen 2 prices. My current truck is paid off and only has 33k miles so I can wait 3 months or a few years.

I have also been seeing very low optioned trucks, trucks with 45 - 60k miles, and even buybacks with $70k+ asking prices. It's great to be a seller right now, not so much a buyer.

MSpiegs

Reaction score
Highly recommend to expand your search to the midwest. I just picked up a 2019 for $10k less than west coast prices but had to get it from North Dakota.

bigdave18629

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wow, reading through this thread has me considering parting with my loaded 19 ruby red, under 9k miles.

I just don't know what I would do if I sold it.....sounds like I might be able to get 70k or so out there.

Might be time to dust off the schwinn

fftfk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Kbb does not buy trucks this is the real money they are bring a Mannheim auto auction. They are bringing 71-75k at THE AUCTION ( aka if you follow what KBB says 68k that dealer will take the truck to the auction and make about 5,000$ when they sell to another dealer for Mannheim market value )

View attachment 165469

Now how does one go about getting access to manheim?

K223

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Well if somebody wants to give me $74,000 I’d consider it. If not, I’ll suffer and continue to drive my truck. It will be tough, but I think I’ll be ok. :)

Damn I hope you can make it through, stuck in a loaded Gen 2 Raptor. All that range when gas is high. Man it’s gonna be tough but good luck lol

NHDude4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm mentally and financially ready to dive into the world of Raptor ownership and can't wait to post a pic of her! I live in Los Angeles, CA and I've been eyeing the market for the last several days. Granted, I'm green as grass when it comes to the overall Raptor market (or how dealerships even work, honestly).

Just looking at prices in my local area, they just intuitively seem marked-up - is this a regional thing? If Gen 3 is so close around the corner (and I saw some posts about potential dealerships selling them at MSRP), seems just logical to wait for Gen3 at this point? Definitely want a Raptor with the 802a package - the upgraded sound + moonroof are must haves for me (and the wife, and the two dogs).

Any advice on the overall current market on Raptors would be greatly appreciated (I'm also more than happy to read/research, just point me to a link/right direction and I can do my own due diligence - I promise I'm not lazy!).

Thank you all kindly!

It's a rough time to be buying any vehicle, never mind a limited enthusiast model that is in a production hiatus. The SoCal area is likely to run high on prices anyway, but all dealers are getting big money for all vehicles right now. New vehicle inventory is really tight due to supply chain issues slowing or stopping production. Furthermore the Raptor isn't in production right now and the Gen 3 will likely be slow to hit dealership lots. 3-year used Raptors are going for $65k with 802a, so new ones are going to sell at high prices. It's not a great time to buy and I expect the Raptor in particular will be scarce and therefore well over MSRP for another year or more before it settles (Gen 2 and Gen 3).

Reaction score
I'm from LA also and am hoping to get the gen3 which would be my first raptor as well. I've called Borman Ford in NM and they say they will be selling the gen 3 at MSRP. Ask for Jereme Lackey.

Also Valor Automotive in KS. Ask for travis.

Good luck!