Ready to buy Gen2(or 3) - but all dealerships way over MSRP?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

madrider

Reaction score
I had the same issue in socal, so I went out of state to midwest and drove it back. I did a nationwide search on autotrader and started calling dealers to get the best deal. I received a good quote that was a bit more from a dealer in Vegas (~2k), and in hindsight I should have taken it because of the easy drive, time, and logistics. It doesn't make any sense to buy in socal at current prices.

fish710

Reaction score
I bought my dream truck 17’ Avalanche grey raptor in May of 2020 for 48k with 43k miles, just sold it last month at 49k miles for 53k with a massive cracked windshield, sad to see her go but at 22 years old I’m focusing on getting 10+ acres to build a house for my wife and two kids on

Last picture before I sold her6D7A1B61-1966-410B-B26A-FC45064BAD89.jpeg

Last edited:
Reaction score
I was in SoCal last November and couldn't find a decent deal in Southwest. Ended up going to MN to buy a 2018 802a with HK stereo, trailer assist, bed liner, carbon and moonroof and tech package with 37K for $54,000. Around 6K less than SoCal. I had to fly out to do the paperwork and had it trucked back. Flight and transport added about $1,700. Vroom would have occassional good deals and looks like an easy process. If you are planning to do any mods, wait for a truck that already has them. Will save a lot of time and money.

NHDude4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I bought my dream truck 17’ Avalanche grey raptor in May of 2020 for 48k with 43k miles, just sold it last month at 49k miles for 53k with a massive cracked windshield, sad to see her go but at 22 years old I’m focusing on getting 10+ acres to build a house for my wife and two kids on.

Nice. The market is crazy right now. I got an offer for $60.5k this week for my 2018 with 40k miles. Really tempting but I don't have a second vehicle and a Raptor is what I want to be driving.

Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm mentally and financially ready to dive into the world of Raptor ownership and can't wait to post a pic of her! I live in Los Angeles, CA and I've been eyeing the market for the last several days. Granted, I'm green as grass when it comes to the overall Raptor market (or how dealerships even work, honestly).

Just looking at prices in my local area, they just intuitively seem marked-up - is this a regional thing? If Gen 3 is so close around the corner (and I saw some posts about potential dealerships selling them at MSRP), seems just logical to wait for Gen3 at this point? Definitely want a Raptor with the 802a package - the upgraded sound + moonroof are must haves for me (and the wife, and the two dogs).

Any advice on the overall current market on Raptors would be greatly appreciated (I'm also more than happy to read/research, just point me to a link/right direction and I can do my own due diligence - I promise I'm not lazy!).

Thank you all kindly!
Hi all,

I'm mentally and financially ready to dive into the world of Raptor ownership and can't wait to post a pic of her! I live in Los Angeles, CA and I've been eyeing the market for the last several days. Granted, I'm green as grass when it comes to the overall Raptor market (or how dealerships even work, honestly).

Just looking at prices in my local area, they just intuitively seem marked-up - is this a regional thing? If Gen 3 is so close around the corner (and I saw some posts about potential dealerships selling them at MSRP), seems just logical to wait for Gen3 at this point? Definitely want a Raptor with the 802a package - the upgraded sound + moonroof are must haves for me (and the wife, and the two dogs).

Any advice on the overall current market on Raptors would be greatly appreciated (I'm also more than happy to read/research, just point me to a link/right direction and I can do my own due diligence - I promise I'm not lazy!).

Thank you all kindly!
Hi all,

Thank you all kindly!

Reaction score
Hi all,

Thank you all kindly!

What’s up Rob. I live in SoCal too and am in the exact same predicament that you are. I recently drove my brothers 2018 on 37s with the whipple chip in it. I came right home and told my wife that I have to get one. I had always thought that a V6 would have no juice. I was so wrong. I have called about 20 dealerships across the country. I’m on 8 waiting lists for a 2021. So I’ve done a lot of research on this. The pricing on the GEN2 is ridiculously high and I thought I might as well just wait for a 2021 because I plan on keeping the truck for a long time. Not one dealership that I have called has any idea of when the 2021s are coming in. You are definitely going to have to go out of state to get one for MSRP. I was able to find a dealership out of state that told me they would sell it to me for MSRP. I had to put down a 1K deposit just to get in line. There are eight guys ahead of me in line. This dealership was only allocated 4 Raptors last year. That’s the key word. “Allocated”. The dealerships don’t even know how many they will get! My plan was to find a dealership that gets a lot of them and maybe they might sell one to me for MSRP. You know, high-volume dealership willing to wheel and deal? I’m not sure they exist when it comes to a Raptor. Not in Socal at least. I’m on the waiting list with the #1 selling Ford dealership in the country and they don’t even know how many they’re going to get. I was told by every dealership in SoCal that there would be a 10K-20K markup on the 2021s. Nothing but stealerships out here. I recently went to a dealership in Monrovia California to check out the new Dodge TRX. There was a 45K dealer markup on it and they have already sold 2 of them. Unbelievable. My plan is to find a 2021 Raptor out of state for MSRP and pay the 1.5K to have it shipped to me. I might have to wait but it will be worth it. Good luck to you.

Reaction score
What’s up Rob. I live in SoCal too and am in the exact same predicament that you are. I recently drove my brothers 2018 on 37s with the whipple chip in it. I came right home and told my wife that I have to get one. I had always thought that a V6 would have no juice. I was so wrong. I have called about 20 dealerships across the country. I’m on 8 waiting lists for a 2021. So I’ve done a lot of research on this. The pricing on the GEN2 is ridiculously high and I thought I might as well just wait for a 2021 because I plan on keeping the truck for a long time. Not one dealership that I have called has any idea of when the 2021s are coming in. You are definitely going to have to go out of state to get one for MSRP. I was able to find a dealership out of state that told me they would sell it to me for MSRP. I had to put down a 1K deposit just to get in line. There are eight guys ahead of me in line. This dealership was only allocated 4 Raptors last year. That’s the key word. “Allocated”. The dealerships don’t even know how many they will get! My plan was to find a dealership that gets a lot of them and maybe they might sell one to me for MSRP. You know, high-volume dealership willing to wheel and deal? I’m not sure they exist when it comes to a Raptor. Not in Socal at least. I’m on the waiting list with the #1 selling Ford dealership in the country and they don’t even know how many they’re going to get. I was told by every dealership in SoCal that there would be a 10K-20K markup on the 2021s. Nothing but stealerships out here. I recently went to a dealership in Monrovia California to check out the new Dodge TRX. There was a 45K dealer markup on it and they have already sold 2 of them. Unbelievable. My plan is to find a 2021 Raptor out of state for MSRP and pay the 1.5K to have it shipped to me. I might have to wait but it will be worth it. Good luck to you.

45k markup and they've sold 2...that's wild. Im guessing those folks are the money no object car collectors. Must be nice lol

What dealership did you have to put a 1k deposit? A lot of the "msrp" dealerships ive called are already 20-30 people deep so I might not even get an allocation until the 22/23 year lol